Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarperRose

Why?

What makes someone breathing potentially infectious particles on someone else more socially acceptable than someone farting on someone else?

Both could be argued as assault. Both create a health risk that could lead to sickness. Both are imposed by one person on another.

Do whatever you want to yourself. But, don't impose your s%$t on me.
Literally. 😂

Chi84

Premium Member
To be fair (again?), I first noticed the use of "muh" in posts elsewhere from people mocking masks, as in "b-b-b-but muh masks!" whenever a state with a mask mandate saw an increase in cases. I just co-opted it from them. And I'm certainly not trying to boss anyone around on the Internet. I do think that people pushing the "personal responsibility" narrative should be able to answer questionos about their stance, such as why is the onus on the cashier to not go to work in order to protect herself rather than on the person who knowingly entered a business that requires masks with no intention of following that business's rules? We wouldn't tell someone who called the police on a naked man in 7-11, "Hey, you knew the risk of creepy naked guys in public when you left the house! If you don't want to see it then stay home! Yes, there are laws against it, but that's your problem if people who oppose those laws refuse to follow them."
I've been following for quite awhile, and I've never seen "muh" used to mock people wearing masks. It's used in a very specific sense, usually followed by the word "freedom," and appears to refer to a specific group of people. Personally, I don't think that type of insult adds anything to the discussion, but people are free to disagree.

What I don't understand is why people are discussing masks as though they are still the only form of protection against the virus. As more and more people are vaccinated, the need for masks is dramatically declining. If people want to protect themselves against COVID, they should (1) get vaccinated and (2) help others get vaccinated. If everyone does those two things, the masks will be gone in short order.

Chip Chipperson

I've been following for quite awhile, and I've never seen "muh" used to mock people wearing masks. It's used in a very specific sense, usually followed by the word "freedom," and appears to refer to a specific group of people. Personally, I don't think that type of insult adds anything to the discussion, but people are free to disagree.

What I don't understand is why people are discussing masks as though they are still the only form of protection against the virus. As more and more people are vaccinated, the need for masks is dramatically declining. If people want to protect themselves against COVID, they should (1) get vaccinated and (2) help others get vaccinated. If everyone does those two things, the masks will be gone in short order.

It's been used elsewhere, not here (to my knowledge anyway). As for why people are discussing masks as if they're the only form of protection? I haven't taken that from any of the comments here. Masks are ONE OF the mitigation tools at our disposal. They are relatively effortless, so it's hard to understand why some people have such fierce opposition to them.

Jrb1979

That's not vaccine resistance. It's lack of vaccination that's going on. Don't scare the poster unecessarily. Canada is seriously behind the US in terms of vaccinations due to no fault of their own from what I understand.
I'm not scaring them unnecessarily. While we are behind in vaccinations, there is also resistance going on in some age groups. Pharmacies here are giving out the AstraZeneca vaccine. They couldn't fill appointments for those 50+. They opened it to 40+ today and all appointments are full for days. So there is resistance happening.

corsairk09

Without doing the math, I'm going to estimate that at least 70% of the US adult population has at least one comorbidity that puts them at risk for a worse COVID-19 outcome. Considering that 50% of the US adult population alone has hypertension, that's a whole lot of relatively healthy and otherwise productive people that are at increased risk.

These aren't just people sitting at home doing nothing. These are your neighbors, your friends, your colleagues, probably even family members. People you depend on, like plumbers, sanitation workers, accountants, physicians, teachers, nurses, mail carriers, etc.

But hey, screw them. I guess we should not expect others to act in response to their [sic] comorbidity.
No one is saying "screw them" to people with comorbidity. Simply that it IS a huge factor and that is would be extremely responsible and helpful to talk about physical health as well as vaccines. No one is saying that people should feel shame for a comorbidity and who cares if they die.....
I look forward to the day when kids are allowed to get the shot and I can tell a certain segment of the population to literally drop dead as they rebutt and refuse to accept Covid is something worthy of their concern. They will learn in the end, unfortunately fo

Except this guy.... he is literally saying that people who don't get the vaccine can "drop dead". And people liked this comment?!

It's not ok to point out that obesity is a huge factor and that there is some personal responsibility there..... but people who don't want to get a shot... They can drop dead?

How is that ok???!!!!

I am so confused by what is considered acceptable and what isn't.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's been used elsewhere, not here (to my knowledge anyway). As for why people are discussing masks as if they're the only form of protection? I haven't taken that from any of the comments here. Masks are ONE OF the mitigation tools at our disposal. They are relatively effortless, so it's hard to understand why some people have such fierce opposition to them.
They are effortless to some, and I agree that people here have a hard time understanding anything outside of their own experience.

JD80

No one is saying "screw them" to people with comorbidity. Simply that it IS a huge factor and that is would be extremely responsible and helpful to talk about physical health as well as vaccines. No one is saying that people should feel shame for a comorbidity and who cares if they die.....

Except this guy.... he is literally saying that people who don't get the vaccine can "drop dead". And people liked this comment?!

It's not ok to point out that obesity is a huge factor and that there is some personal responsibility there..... but people who don't want to get a shot... They can drop dead?

How is that ok???!!!!

Not getting a vaccine is basically saying, "I'm ignorant and I'm happy to put other people at risk."

Touchdown

How is that ok???!!!!

You aren’t comfortable being held responsible for your own decisions now? Obesity is a complex medical-social-economic problem in this country where it is sometimes extremely hard to separate those who got their by “bad choices” from those that don’t (due to being poor or genetics or both.)

Every state has vaccines available to everyone over 16 today, and most have open appointments. In 1-2 months not getting vaccinated will be 100% your choice. It’s free and widely available, to not take advantage of it not only risks your life but those around you by putting people who can’t get vaccinated at risk, and risking all of society by you potentially being the host that spauns a vaccine escape varient. You are literally a pox on humanity and should be ashamed of yourself. I know I’m not the only one thinking it. Unless you are allergic to one of the vaccine components there is litterally no contraindication. Swallow your pride, stop being a baby and get your shot.

Heppenheimer

How is that ok???!!!!

That's essentially what some are saying. That it's up to those with the higher risk (which, again, is about 60-70% of the population) to protect themselves, and nobody else should share that responsibility.

Solving this pandemic isn't a matter of "your" vs "my" reponsibility, its a matter of "our responsibility". And the things that we need to do, for most people, really are not an intolerable burden, especially now that vaccination is open to all adults everywhere in the US.

We in the medical profession haven't given up promoting preventative health during the pandemic, despite what some may think.

BuddyThomas

It's getting worse, not better.

“It took nine months to reach 1 million deaths, four months to reach 2 million and three months to reach 3 million deaths,” said Tedros. “Big numbers can make us numb, but each one of these deaths is a tragedy for families, communities and nations.”

And, as more at-risk or older adults are fully inoculated and some economies open up, the director-general suggested the brunt of the virus’s spread may be shifting towards younger adults. He told reporters that infections and hospitalizations among people age 25 to 59 are “increasing at an alarming rate,” possibly due to highly transmissible variants and increased social mixing among younger people."

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It's getting worse, not better.

“It took nine months to reach 1 million deaths, four months to reach 2 million and three months to reach 3 million deaths,” said Tedros. “Big numbers can make us numb, but each one of these deaths is a tragedy for families, communities and nations.”

And, as more at-risk or older adults are fully inoculated and some economies open up, the director-general suggested the brunt of the virus’s spread may be shifting towards younger adults. He told reporters that infections and hospitalizations among people age 25 to 59 are “increasing at an alarming rate,” possibly due to highly transmissible variants and increased social mixing among younger people."

It's over for us, we will never get back to normal in USA, stupid variants and younger people.....now the pandemic will never end for years....this makes me more sad for very longer...😭😭😭

sullyinMT

How is that ok???!!!!

If someone has been telling the overweight that deserve it if they don’t care for themselves and walk off a few pounds or whatever, why shouldn’t that same person if an anti-vaxxer not be told they likewise deserve it if they won’t take a free and readily available vaccine?

Chip Chipperson

They are effortless to some, and I agree that people here have a hard time understanding anything outside of their own experience.

So your take is that I can't understand why someone refuses to wear a mask because I have a hard time understanding anything outside of my own experience? Interesting assumption. Unfortunately, it fails since I've listened to people argue against masks and they never make sense. Yeah, there are SOME people with legitimate medical reasons for not being able to wear one. Those aren't the people anyone here questions. It's the people who make fake ADA cards that they claim authorize them to not wear a mask or falsely claim that mask mandates violate the Constitution and then go grocery shopping with their mask only covering their mouths that are the problem. I know people who openly brag about spending hours in bars talking to strangers and swearing up and down that mask mandates are all about some vague plot to take control. So in that respect, I hope to never have an "experience" that makes me think it's okay to openly violate rules in a business while potentially exposing others to a deadly virus just because "I don't wanna wear a mask." An experience I had the other day was stopping to pick up some takeout for dinner with my wife. The restaurant had a sign on the door showing a person wearing a mask and letting customers know that masks must be worn properly while inside picking up your food. A maskless woman walked up to the door, saw the sign, huffed and took out her phone and took a picture of the sign while muttering to herself before getting back in her car and leaving. What "experience" am I - or anyone else here - lacking in life that prevents me from seeing the logic in that behavior? She arrived at the restaurant knowing full well that masks are required because masks are required pretty much everywhere here in NJ. But for some reason, she seemed angry at the restaurant for following the rules and protecting both the employees and customers.

Patcheslee

I'm not scaring them unnecessarily. While we are behind in vaccinations, there is also resistance going on in some age groups. Pharmacies here are giving out the AstraZeneca vaccine. They couldn't fill appointments for those 50+. They opened it to 40+ today and all appointments are full for days. So there is resistance happening.
Are sites accessible to everyone? Or is there the expectation people drive 30-60 minutes away for an appointment?
We have a few counties with lower rates than a metropolitan, and within those areas there might be 1 site.

michmousefan

I didn't get side effects until about 30 hours after my second Pfizer shot. Had a mild fever and some chills that evening but it was gone in the morning.

Only other side effect I had was a swollen lymph node in the arm where I received the shot, which is apparently one of the rarer effects.
No fever-ish side effects from my 2nd Pfizer dose last week... but I did have a swollen lymph node as well.

Jrb1979

Are sites accessible to everyone? Or is there the expectation people drive 30-60 minutes away for an appointment?
We have a few counties with lower rates than a metropolitan, and within those areas there might be 1 site.
They are accessible to everyone easily. Almost all pharmacies are offering the vaccine. Last week before they lowered the age group, there were a few pharmacies were they would be lucky if half a dozen people came. Now that 40+ can go they booked solid til May.

Willmark

Just commentary on the last ten pages or so.

Are people surprised that the most diverse country on on earth from politics to socioeconomic and everything in between is diverse in how to respond to Covid?

While not the worlds best book Max Brooks’ World War Z was extremely prescient in how the US reacted to Covid. All one needs to do is replace the word zombies with Covid in the text.

To be fair however he did right it with the SARS outbreaks fresh in his mind, and admitted as much.

And how this applies to Disney? I should think there should not be any surprise that fans of Disney view Covid and its impacts any different than the public at large.

disneygeek90

No fever-ish side effects from my 2nd Pfizer dose last week... but I did have a swollen lymph node as well.
Now 51 hours after second Pfizer. I had a minor headache pretty much all day yesterday. Felt a little tired during the afternoon but nothing much else to report. About as good as I could have asked for, if I hadn't just had the vaccine I wouldn't have thought anything of it. There is still soreness and redness in the shot area, but other than that I feel totally normal today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom