News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

trainplane3

If one guest does, it’s one too many. This company was renowned for the fine detail.

Hopefully they’ll be properly hidden further down, doubtful though since this would probably mean removing the outer panels.
Zach - Mary Blair wouldn't hide them because removing the panels was against Walts wishes.

There, that's how they'll justify it. With a bunch of PR nonsense.

TikibirdLand

I know it doesn't really matter, but at least the "safety chains" are wire rope with crimped thimbles. Much better both in safety and in appearance than actual chains would be.

And since I'm now in the thread, I'll say that I love Spaceship Earth and I would not want anything to ruin it's appearance.
From what I'm seeing this doesn't seem to go that far; and the lighting effect and/or mini-shows seem to have the potential to be quite nice.

I still may never see them in person, as at the moment I don't feel a WDW vacation has enough value to justify the expenditure it takes.
We use those cables on stage lighting all the time. It is possible to tuck them away behind the fixture and into that groove. Kinda sloppy, IMO. Also, painting them black to hide in those channels would help too. Should be interesting to see these fired up. Much better looking -- even with the cables showing -- than the Stargate/Tacos in WS.

SpectroMagician

Wow those look bad. How do you not design those to fit in the vertices instead of sticking out multiple inches? LEDs are small, they could have done it.

Just like the barges they do not seem to care at all what stuff looks like in the day, only at night.

Thelazer

spaceship-earth-1982-392x600.jpg

fwthennow1_spaceshipearthnight1983ww.jpg

757873933_e562e48a96_b.jpg

Honestly, the classic looks are the best.[/URL]

gerarar

Premium Member
Wow those look bad. How do you not design those to fit in the vertices instead of sticking out multiple inches? LEDs are small, they could have done it.

Just like the barges they do not seem to care at all what stuff looks like in the day, only at night.
An imagineer explained here why they designed it to stick out, so each LED on the sides of the fixture “shines across the different faces of Spaceship Earth”.
Maybe it could have been smaller, who knows.

jt04

An imagineer explained here why they designed it to stick out, so each LED on the sides of the fixture “shines across the different faces of Spaceship Earth”.
Maybe it could have been smaller, who knows.

Not and provide the same effect.

Fortunately Disney no longer dances to the troll's tune.

Ironic that the park that is supposed to represent change is in the eyes of some never supposed to innovate anything.

No wonder Eisner wanted to give the front of Epcot a rethink. All the vocal fans were stuck in the early 1980's. Clearly some still are. Probably listening to Epcot Center music loops on their Walkman right now.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not and provide the same effect.

Fortunately Disney no longer dances to the troll's tune.

Ironic that the park that is supposed to represent change is in the eyes of some never supposed to innovate anything.

No wonder Eisner wanted to give the front of Epcot a rethink. All the vocal fans were stuck in the early 1980's. Clearly some still are. Probably listening to Epcot Center music loops on their Walkman right now.

EPCOT Center was never, ever about “change”. Have you ever visited Epcot in person?

yensidtlaw1969

Well I didn’t know that. Neat. My question still applies, though. If the average park guest is not able to physically see the chains, will it matter? They see the gold on the castle, yes, but will they see the chains?
The point is that doing things even if most guests wouldn’t notice them, like using real gold leaf on the Castle spires instead of just gold paint, used to be the standard.

Guests may not consciously notice the accumulation of details that go the extra mile, but they absolutely feel the absence of them.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

dreday3

I still think the lighting on SE isn't that noticeable, but I'll have to see for myself when we get there. It's kind of hard not to notice things now, after it's pointed out over and over here! :D

I'm so excited to see the new entrance, the lighting, finally see those barges for myself that we are making Epcot our arrival day park! See firsthand in October.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom