Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

CaptinEO

Imagine genuinely despising a woman whom you've never met, and hurling insults at them at every chance possible. The POTC scene was done poorly, but these changes look cool and add some much needed TLC.
I don't like her artistic choices, doesnt mean I dont like someone personally. But I'm not going to cheer on and congratulate someone who is ruining things that have meaning to me.

She has a high paying nice comfy job and her work will be seen by millions 90% of which wont care at all about these changes and will not think twice about it.

It's ok to give honest opinions.

yensidtlaw1969

I don't like her artistic choices, doesnt mean I dont like someone personally. But I'm not going to cheer on and congratulate someone who is ruining things that have meaning to me.

She has a high paying nice comfy job and her work will be seen by millions 90% of which wont care at all about these changes and will not think twice about it.

It's ok to give honest opinions.
Honest opinions are fine, but it seems like some people here could use some context as they form those opinions. Some posters talk as if Kim Irvine always misunderstands the assignment, meanwhile the guests aren't told what the assignment actually is.

If someone tells you "get ready to close Small World" and you come back and say "maybe we could just add some marketable characters to it instead" and get them to agree, all the guests see is you adding characters and assuming it's because YOU don't love the classic attraction, when really the opposite was true. You know? We ALL know Small World was better before, of course, but if you were given the choice between letting it close or adding some less-than-ideal elements to keep it around, which would YOU choose?

owlsandcoffee

Back on topic, I guess we'll have to wait until the 30th to get any real idea of how these improvements work, or don't. As far as A/D goes a lot of these illuminated screens don't look quite right on camera so we'll see if anybody can give an on-the-ground report on if it looks good. Also looks like JC will be closed for the updates. Weird that WDW can keep it open but DL isn't.

yensidtlaw1969

Back on topic, I guess we'll have to wait until the 30th to get any real idea of how these improvements work, or don't. As far as A/D goes a lot of these illuminated screens don't look quite right on camera so we'll see if anybody can give an on-the-ground report on if it looks good. Also looks like JC will be closed for the updates. Weird that WDW can keep it open but DL isn't.
I recall hearing that Indiana Jones would be making use of the Jungle Cruise queue, though that strikes me as somewhat odd given how long the Indy queue is at Disneyland. I would think there's plenty of space for distancing, but perhaps there's something to it I don't know about.

I hope April looks good - It's clear from the released images that the portrait has a layer of physical brush strokes painted on top in a clear coat, which creates a texture that suggests the image is actually painted. There's some great OLED technology these days that can produce genuinely black blacks on the screen - A monitor like that with the brightness tuned carefully to emit minimal light combined with that texturizing of the surface could look like a VERY realistic oil painting in person. I'm excited to hear reports!

CaptinEO

Honest opinions are fine, but it seems like some people here could use some context as they form those opinions. Some posters talk as if Kim Irvine always misunderstands the assignment, meanwhile the guests aren't told what the assignment actually is.

If someone tells you "get ready to close Small World" and you come back and say "maybe we could just add some marketable characters to it instead" and get them to agree, all the guests see is you adding characters and assuming it's because YOU don't love the classic attraction, when really the opposite was true. You know? We ALL know Small World was better before, of course, but if you were given the choice between letting it close or adding some less-than-ideal elements to keep it around, which would YOU choose?
If that was anyones job I wouldn't sympathize with them and would just encourage them to leave for their own well being and happiness.

Righting a sinking ship and having bad management is miserable, I'd respect her more if she left if what you're saying is true.

I respect Tony Baxter for retiring as the company was getting worse, but the Nemo project left a small stain on an otherwise flawless and brilliant career history.

Things usually have to reach their lowest low before change is made. If Disney was so misguided that they were going to close Small
World, the sooner they make that drastic move is the sooner thar they are on a trajectory to failure. Failure is what causes companies to restructure and correct their mistakes.

yensidtlaw1969

If that was anyones job I wouldn't sympathize with them and would just encourage them to leave for their own well being and happiness.

Righting a sinking ship and having bad management is miserable, I'd respect her more if she left if what you're saying is true.

I respect Tony Baxter for retiring as the company was getting worse, but the Nemo project left a small stain on an otherwise flawless and brilliant career history.

Things usually have to reach their lowest low before change is made. If Disney was so misguided that they were going to close Small
World, the sooner they make that drastic move is the sooner thar they are on a trajectory to failure. Failure is what causes companies to restructure and correct their mistakes.

Hate to tell you, but Tony was pushed out.

It's also a little bit of an oversimplification to call his career flawless, but it's fair to say he did more good than harm.

CaptinEO

Hate to tell you, but Tony was pushed out.

It's also a little bit of an oversimplification to call his career flawless, but it's fair to say he did more good than harm.
Near flawless, like I mentioned. But no one is perfect, he had so much great output that he will always he a legend in attraction design.

His work certainly inspired me, before I even knew what his name was.

yensidtlaw1969

Near flawless, like I mentioned. But no one is perfect, he had so much great output that he will always he a legend in attraction design.

His work certainly inspired me, before I even knew what his name was.
I'm saying there were bigger problems than Nemo. Again, the good outweighs the bad, but 23 years in Tomorrowland STILL hasn't recovered.

mickEblu

Original Poster

Did she really save IASW? She singlehandedly saved IASW by adding a few Disney figures? That sounds far fetched. If true however, that’s pretty big and she would get a pass for some of the other things she’s been a part of that Im not so fond of.

It would also be really sad to know IASW is or at least was disposable to Disney at one point.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

Yeah, I’m not buying the scenario of Kim Irvine singlehandedly saving IASW, especially the DLR version. For them to erase IASW from their brand, is just about the most ludicrous, brainless, idiotic business decision I’ve ever heard from TWDC. Talk about alienating the majority of the fanbase, and getting rid of a people eater. If it ever happens, I won’t be returning to any Disney park for the remainder of my time on this planet.

yensidtlaw1969

Did she really save IASW? She singlehandedly saved IASW by adding a few Disney figures? That sounds far fetched. If true however, that’s pretty big and she would get a pass for some of the other things she’s been a part of that Im not so fond of.

It would also be really sad to know IASW is or at least was disposable to Disney at one point.
No - as with anything, no one did it singlehandedly. But Kim led a charge that was able to eek out a compromise, keeping Small World around but of course not untouched.

Small World is surrounded by real estate that's been prime for major redevelopment in Disney's eyes, and the idea was seriously floated to do away with it at DL. I assume they would have "saved face" by keeping it at WDW, but that's a guess on my part.

It IS sad to think that Disney would consider such a thing, but, after the Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain situations, is it really that surprising? The phrase "nothing is sacred" really, really applies.

Which, to try to loop back to the topic, is part of why it's nice to see things like April/December making her return to the Mansion. It's a small cookie for fans like us, but given how few cookies the company is generally interested in throwing us "some" is better than none.

Professortango1

No - as with anything, no one did it singlehandedly. But Kim led a charge that was able to eek out a compromise, keeping Small World around but of course not untouched.

Small World is surrounded by real estate that's been prime for major redevelopment in Disney's eyes, and the idea was seriously floated to do away with it at DL. I assume they would have "saved face" by keeping it at WDW, but that's a guess on my part.

It IS sad to think that Disney would consider such a thing, but, after the Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain situations, is it really that surprising? The phrase "nothing is sacred" really, really applies.

Which, to try to loop back to the topic, is part of why it's nice to see things like April/December making her return to the Mansion. It's a small cookie for fans like us, but given how few cookies the company is generally interested in throwing us "some" is better than none.

Man, all the more reason for me not like like Kim Irvine. We were actually close to getting rid of IASW and she helped prevent that??? I would have cried tears of joy to see Disney get the cojones to replace that oversized attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom