Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

DrAlice

rerouting the guest path further to the right instead of to the left
Does it? I don't see that at all. Maybe my memory is faulty (could be!), but didn't the chains that were there previously already do that?

Either way, I see this "screen-troversy" as a non-issue. As @Disney Analyst said, you are always going to have people that can't figure out how to board a vehicle even if you give them a pre-show video, signs to read, and shout at them 6 ways to Sunday. I don't think a see-through room divider is going to do anything except look nice.

I hope I can get reservations to find out for myself!!!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Sorry, I was on vacation out of town and I'm catching up on this thread. I see my point has already been raised by you and others.

I think that redone boarding area could be a real problem.

I'm afraid this is a situation designed by Imagineers who never worked at Disneyland and never studied how 2,000 human minds per hour processed what that area was and what would need to happen before being forced onto a conveyor belt. Most folks handle it just fine. But a few hundred people per hour will have never been on that ride, or have mobility or balance issues that cause problems when a conveyor belt suddenly appears at their feet. :oops:
I understand the concern, but think you guys are overthinking this. I don't think people will be fixated on the portrait the entire time they are walking down that corridor, especially when the portrait gets behind them. The line moves slow enough to get to see it change at least once or twice.

The barrier on the left looks see-thru enough to get the gist of what's happening on the other side. We also don't know what they did at the point where you step onto the conveyor. Perhaps it's more lit and the CMs will be directed to help point it out more.

Lastly, it's too hard to see where that barrier stops before you get onto the conveyor based on the video and images we have. Perhaps you will have more time to see what's going on than we think.

I think it'll be fine. We'll know soon enough when opening day videos start popping up.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The bigger issue is that April/December and the new door are going to draw your attention away from the Buggies - though it was said in the OC Register article that the purpose of the grate is to help encourage your attention towards the new "scene".
Looks to me like there's still a good 15 to 20 feet past the portrait to give guests enough time to look left before hitting the conveyor. And like I said above, we don't know yet how far down that barrier goes.

Mickeyboof

Linda and Paul and their darling children are already too distracted by their phone screens to worry about a transforming portrait or a moving floor.

Imagineering often over achieves in the art of spoon feeding. I applaud their ability to add new moments in what was previously an un-themed utility corridor in a tight space that is quite incapable of alteration like big lots Disney World or Tokyo parks.

Can’t wait to see what else is in the pipeline for “new magic” (like the new carousel, which looks absolutely fabulous! )

yensidtlaw1969

Does it? I don't see that at all. Maybe my memory is faulty (could be!), but didn't the chains that were there previously already do that?

Either way, I see this "screen-troversy" as a non-issue. As @Disney Analyst said, you are always going to have people that can't figure out how to board a vehicle even if you give them a pre-show video, signs to read, and shout at them 6 ways to Sunday. I don't think a see-through room divider is going to do anything except look nice.

I hope I can get reservations to find out for myself!!!
The path has been rerouted - compare these two photos below, before and after. Notice the carpet now zags to the right, into the alcove that used to contain glowing urns, candelabras, and webs:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.40.26 PM.png

hmh092438759827409284092384.jpg

The way I see it, people used to have 100% visibility and, say, 15 seconds to look at what lay ahead and *still* had trouble. Math suggests that with lessened visibility from before, less time to look than before, AND a new distraction, the amount of people having trouble would likely go up, not stay the same or drop. I just wonder if that will be the case.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The path has been rerouted - compare these two photos below, before and after. Notice the carpet now zags to the right, into the alcove that used to contain glowing urns, candelabras, and webs:

View attachment 548488

View attachment 548489

The way I see it, people used to have 100% visibility and, say, 15 seconds to look at what lay ahead and *still* had trouble. Math suggests that with lessened visibility from before, less time to look than before, AND a new distraction, the amount of people having trouble would likely go up, not stay the same or drop. I just wonder if that will be the case.
Seeing these two pics side-by-side, with the path now hugging the right wall more it looks as if they were able to increase the size of the accessibility holding area, which on busy days will be much needed.

DrAlice

View attachment 548488

View attachment 548489

Thanks for this!

I like this new version so much better. And I had the same thought as @chadwpalm about the ADA area.

Hopefully it won't be a big deal operationally.

mickEblu

Original Poster

View attachment 548488

View attachment 548489

It’s pretty clear everyone is just going to fall flat on their face on the omnimover belt. I predict one in 3 people fall down.

owlsandcoffee

Linda and Paul and their darling children are already too distracted by their phone screens to worry about a transforming portrait or a moving floor.

Imagineering often over achieves in the art of spoon feeding. I applaud their ability to add new moments in what was previously an un-themed utility corridor in a tight space that is quite incapable of alteration like big lots Disney World or Tokyo parks.

Can’t wait to see what else is in the pipeline for “new magic” (like the new carousel, which looks absolutely fabulous! )

I was told Kim Irvine ruined everything she touched, how could this be?

I've seen ride videos where people are on their phones the whole way through the HM. Absolutely baffling. You spent 70 a lot of money dollars for a ticket and traveled all the way to the park. Your phone will be there tomorrow! As a member of the phone-addicts club it still doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Kim Irvine enjoys the celebrity aspect of Imagineering. I have far more respect for those OG WED guys and gals that made very occasional appearances in the World of Disney shows but clearly didn't really want to be on camera and were doing it for Walt. Awkward brilliant artist types that created the truly great attractions of Disneyland from behind the scenes. This HM change is mainly just adding in something that was previously there on another wall until it was rather stupidly removed.

In fact, I will say that in general, HM has been spared compared to other attractions. Major changes in recent years mainly added in things that were removed such as the cemetery outside and the HBG. The times they do alter the ride rather than restore elements, we have ended up with Rene Zellwegger in the attic and floating crystal ball head. So 50/50 in terms of changing. They should just stick to restoring old elements.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Kim Irvine enjoys the celebrity aspect of Imagineering. I have far more respect for those OG WED guys and gals that made very occasional appearances in the World of Disney shows but clearly didn't really want to be on camera and were doing it for Walt. Awkward brilliant artist types that created the truly great attractions of Disneyland from behind the scenes. This HM change is mainly just adding in something that was previously there on another wall until it was rather stupidly removed.

In fact, I will say that in general, HM has been spared compared to other attractions. Major changes in recent years mainly added in things that were removed such as the cemetery outside and the HBG. The times they do alter the ride rather than restore elements, we have ended up with Rene Zellwegger in the attic and floating crystal ball head. So 50/50 in terms of changing. They should just stick to restoring old elements.
. . . I think you may misunderstand what Kim Irvine's job is.

She's not a Marc Davis or Tony Baxter or Joe Rohde, proposing attractions and seeing their development through to opening day. She's an Art Director. Her purview is much more related to the existing menu of Disneyland attractions than it is to creating new ones. Her job literally is to try to maintain the integrity of the existing attractions despite changes being deemed necessary by higher-ups - whether they be creative executives or otherwise.

She makes appearances in these videos because she leads the art direction of lots of these smaller projects and is the most senior person to talk to about them, not because she's insisting on it to rise her star. We've seen time and time again that she's not particularly comfortable on camera. She didn't even WANT to do Madame Leota in the Haunted Mansion Holiday, she did it because she was assured if she didn't they would just hire some rando who had no connection to the park, so she took the opportunity to keep it in the family. And, truthfully, who doesn't love the fun fact that the HMH Leota is played by the original's daughter?

All this to say - most of these "50/50 changes" you're referring to were overseen at least in part by her. Give her credit for the lesser ones, sure, but then give her credit for the greater ones too. Much of her job is negotiating what stays in, leaves, and returns to the park's attractions as they exist. Some other Imagineer might have insisted on a new scene of their own design - instead Kim Irvine gave us something that had the history of the Mansion baked into it. We'll see if it plays out well in person.

You should have HEARD what they WANTED to do to Small World before she stepped in and convinced them to merely just add some Disney Characters to it instead. I don't love that change, but the alternative would have been FAR worse. But it's not like she spoke up out of nowhere and said "WE NEED TO BISMIRCH SMALL WORLD", as many would have you believe. That's not her job. Her job is to listen to what the Company wants the park to become and try to massage that into something that retains the park's DNA rather than changes it fundementally.

yensidtlaw1969

Ooh, someone's got a crush on Kim
I really don't. I've said several times she's not perfect and have vocally complained about projects she's resposible for - even this one! But she gets an outsized amount of hate for what she actually does, which is try to maintain the spirit of the park through inevetable, mandated changes instead of letting wolves just have their way with it. She cares about the history and works to balance that against people who very frequently couldn't care less.

Her job is one that's really easy to do from an armchair and really difficult to do in actuality. I don't like the way Characters were infused into Small World . . . like, at all. But if the alternative was to raze the attraction and she saved it by doing that, then she deserves something closer to a real 'Thank You' than fanboy vitriol. I won't pretend she deserves a medal, but cut the woman a break.

Sharon&Susan

You should have HEARD what they WANTED to do to Small World before she stepped in and convinced them to merely just add some Disney Characters to it instead. I don't love that change, but the alternative would have been FAR worse. But it's not like she spoke up out of nowhere and said "WE NEED TO BISMIRCH SMALL WORLD", as many would have you believe.
I'm curious what changes were upper management thinking for IASW?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I was told Kim Irvine ruined everything she touched, how could this be?

I've seen ride videos where people are on their phones the whole way through the HM. Absolutely baffling. You spent 70 dollars for a ticket and traveled all the way to the park. Your phone will be there tomorrow! As a member of the phone-addicts club it still doesn't make sense.
On what planet does anyone pay $70 to get into Disneyland? Try $150

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom