All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
By the way, I would like to visit USH before June, but not a high priority.

I am watching Costco carefully, they had some great Annual Pass deals just prior to the pandemic.

Another option that isn't available yet. Spending the money for a VIP day, and it came with a basic AP, that you could upgrade. Makes it somewhat reasonable.

Professortango1

That new AA is impressive, but I still prefer the original overall. The Rex trying to bite down overhead made sense why he couldn't get us; there were big metal pipes in the way. With the I-Rex, it just is snapping at us, but there's no reason he isn't getting us. Same with the new installed moment before the lift hill, he's just there without energy. Predator Cove is still incredibly boring and there's no moment to replace the car/spitters other than the peeping Tomasaurus. The original ending with us heading towards a huge waterfall of water only to have the Rex burst through it and attack us was insane. Now, we are watching these dinos fight. Its always more thrilling to escape down a waterfall rather than to slip by down a waterfall.

The hadrosaur who pops out also seems so odd now that its not knocking us off track. They took an A- attraction, gave it a C+ upgrade and eventually got us to a solid B. Yay?

CaptinEO

I couldn't see what the benefits of the passes were. I think it was just the gold and silver. I want to say the gold was $250. I'm not 100% sure. Do any of them come with parking?

I think the Gold came with parking. And there are higher levels, that come with Universal Express (FotL).
Thank you both. Im tempted to do this but then remember how I always only go to Universal for a half day. Hopefully those pass deals happen soon.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Your post just so clearly explained exactly what's missing from this new version.

Just reading about the old attraction made me teary eyed, knowing that it's gone forever (at least in California). That opening scene with the music is so beautiful.

Like you said there was a real sense of danger, you actually felt like you were witnessing a great themepark tour ride that goes wrong. I also dont get why Chris Pratt had to be all over the lift hill, which in the original is scary, this time theres little to nothing threatening.

What a bummer.

The countdown with the fog and the surprise T Rex reveal was so good in the original. The T Rex is scary because hes NOT supposed to be in that building. When youre in a dinosaur forest and see more dinosaurs it's not threatening at all. Lets hope it stays original in Florida at least.

On the InsideUniversal boards when this redo was announced in 2017 I remember bringing up how I was worried they'd ruin it.

Everyone was so upset with the bad maitenance Jurassic Park recieved that they were all on board for a retheme if it meant the ride would be maintained better. Sad state of affairs, I feel Splash gets the same treatment where the park gives up on it so the fans do too.

JP and Splash are my favorite rides of all time. I love water rides and dark rides and those are the best. I hope at least Florida can keep both the original rides.
I am in full agreement with everything you just said.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

That new AA is impressive, but I still prefer the original overall. The Rex trying to bite down overhead made sense why he couldn't get us; there were big metal pipes in the way. With the I-Rex, it just is snapping at us, but there's no reason he isn't getting us. Same with the new installed moment before the lift hill, he's just there without energy. Predator Cove is still incredibly boring and there's no moment to replace the car/spitters other than the peeping Tomasaurus. The original ending with us heading towards a huge waterfall of water only to have the Rex burst through it and attack us was insane. Now, we are watching these dinos fight. Its always more thrilling to escape down a waterfall rather than to slip by down a waterfall.

The hadrosaur who pops out also seems so odd now that its not knocking us off track. They took an A- attraction, gave it a C+ upgrade and eventually got us to a solid B. Yay?
In full agreement Doc with everything you perfectly stated and points for "peeping Tomasaurus" that had me laughing hard.

Tamandua

Thank you both. Im tempted to do this but then remember how I always only go to Universal for a half day. Hopefully those pass deals happen soon.
I haven't been to universal in a while so I looked at the list of rides. Wow. I didn't realize there's so few things to do there. In my mind I still think of et, back to the future, backdraft, t2, and the van helsing walk-through. I guess I knew all that was gone but I hadn't really done the math on what's there now. They're even worse than Disney when it comes to cannibalizing rides. Bummer.

Californian Elitist

It depends on what you’re looking for. Spending even a half day at the park still requires one to pay full price. So if you’re planning to visit more than one or two times in one year, even if you’re there for a couple of hours, you should get a pass. If you’re only going to go once between now and next year, then buying a pass won’t make sense.

The pass gives you flexibility, as you already know. I use mine to only do one or two things in the park sometimes. Sometimes I just want something from Three Broomsticks. If you’re not that type of passholder, you probably shouldn’t buy a pass. I also live fairly close to USH, so getting to and from is no hassle for me.

It really just depends on what you want.

ToTBellHop

Do lines get as long at USH as in Orlando? Considering a day trip on a Wednesday in August and would rather avoid the $250 Express Pass ticket (I find Express Pass to be essential in Florida so we just stay at a hotel that includes it). I’m thinking with the relatively small number of rides that we could easily do it all in a day? I’m not against 30 minute lines. The lines in Florida are like 2 hours!

180º

Do lines get as long at USH as in Orlando? Considering a day trip on a Wednesday in August and would rather avoid the $250 Express Pass ticket (I find Express Pass to be essential in Florida so we just stay at a hotel that includes it). I’m thinking with the relatively small number of rides that we could easily do it all in a day? I’m not against 30 minute lines. The lines in Florida are like 2 hours!
USH is a weird park, crowd-wise. Lines can be nonexistent on one side of the park and 90 minutes on the other side, and then later in the day, switch. I credit it to the park’s odd (and awesome) layout. Just try to go where the crowds aren’t and you shouldn’t have to wait long, and you’ll hit everything in one day.

waltography

Adding to 180's points above, usually the best way to approach the park is Lower Lot then Upper Lot because most folks will do just the opposite (sometimes Lower Lot opens a little later after the park opens though so mileage may vary). Add FJ first if needed as lines average 1.5-2 hours by the middle of the day.

If you treat USH like Disneyland, USH can be a half day park for sure - almost a full day if you add the Studio Tour.

ToTBellHop

Adding to 180's points above, usually the best way to approach the park is Lower Lot then Upper Lot because most folks will do just the opposite (sometimes Lower Lot opens a little later after the park opens though so mileage may vary). Add FJ first if needed as lines average 1.5-2 hours by the middle of the day.

If you treat USH like Disneyland, USH can be a half day park for sure - almost a full day if you add the Studio Tour.
We’d want to do the studio tour but I anticipate we’d have 7 or 8 hours there before driving down to DL.

waltography

We’d want to do the studio tour but I anticipate we’d have 7 or 8 hours there before driving down to DL.
You should have plenty of time then! Express Pass is definitely not needed, you just need to be smart around the park (especially the Starway escalators; a trip through them one-way is at least 10-15 minutes 😅).

ToTBellHop

You should have plenty of time then! Express Pass is definitely not needed, you just need to be smart around the park (especially the Starway escalators; a trip through them one-way is at least 10-15 minutes 😅).
Sounds good. I was literally going to ask if it made sense to do Forbidden Journey then head down the Starway first but you answered first! Thanks!

Honestly, I wasn’t considering it until I saw the different Jurassic ride and the adorable SLoP. California is far from us so I figure it is worth a day if we are coming anyway. Family has never been to CA. I last visited 16 years ago, so it will be a new experience for us. My memory of DL is foggy and DCA has changed considerably since 2005. There’s a baby on California Screamin’.

PiratesMansion

Sounds good. I was literally going to ask if it made sense to do Forbidden Journey then head down the Starway first but you answered first! Thanks!

Honestly, I wasn’t considering it until I saw the different Jurassic ride and the adorable SLoP. California is far from us so I figure it is worth a day if we are coming anyway. Family has never been to CA. I last visited 16 years ago, so it will be a new experience for us. My memory of DL is foggy and DCA has changed considerably since 2005. There’s a baby on California Screamin’.
It's really easy to do everything in a day at USH. And the other thing too is that a lot of the actual attractions are identical to what's in Florida, so you can cull things you're not interested in if you're worried about time. I do think the atmosphere and setting are cool, and while it's not exactly cohesive, the overall feel of the park is much better than at USF, IMO. You can also see the Disney and Warner Bros. Studios from the park, which is kind of a fun bonus (WB also does a solid studio tour).

You will get absolutely drenched on Jurassic World, far more so than you would on Florida's JP ride.

The Studio Tour is mandatory. Going to USH and not doing the Studio Tour is like going to Disneyland but skipping Pirates, Mansion, and all the mountains. Just know it will take an hour and that it tends to stop running sometime before park close, so pay attention to the schedule and timing.

Oh, and see Waterworld!

CaptinEO

I haven't been to universal in a while so I looked at the list of rides. Wow. I didn't realize there's so few things to do there. In my mind I still think of et, back to the future, backdraft, t2, and the van helsing walk-through. I guess I knew all that was gone but I hadn't really done the math on what's there now. They're even worse than Disney when it comes to cannibalizing rides. Bummer.
They really are. There used to be so many shows in the park. T23D, ET, and Back To The Future were such classics. Theyd have a Blues Brothers Show and Wild West Show in addition to a Spiderman Show, Water World, and T23D. I haven't been on minions.

Harry Potter Land is nice but my party always have members that get sick on the ride so I have to go solo. It seems they went too intense.

CaptinEO

It depends on what you’re looking for. Spending even a half day at the park still requires one to pay full price. So if you’re planning to visit more than one or two times in one year, even if you’re there for a couple of hours, you should get a pass. If you’re only going to go once between now and next year, then buying a pass won’t make sense.

The pass gives you flexibility, as you already know. I use mine to only do one or two things in the park sometimes. Sometimes I just want something from Three Broomsticks. If you’re not that type of passholder, you probably shouldn’t buy a pass. I also live fairly close to USH, so getting to and from is no hassle for me.

It really just depends on what you want.
Thats true. I didnt really like the bromsticks food I tried, but it mightve been an off day. I do love the City Walk food.

When I went a couple of years ago a pass through AAA was 110 and a day ticket was 120. Hopefully we get more nice discounts like this.

I have a feeling those who go opening week to Universal and Disneyland will be in for a treat in terms of wait times.

BayouShack

Terminator was incredible. Such an effective mix of media. I miss it. I’m thankful that they still have Water World. It’s still their second best attraction after the Tram Tour (IMO). It’s what Universal is all about. I feel lucky that it’s still going, and it sounds like Universal is still committed to keeping it going!

Universal is small... but some of their rides pack a serious punch.

CaptinEO

Terminator was incredible. Such an effective mix of media. I miss it. I’m thankful that they still have Water World. It’s still their second best attraction after the Tram Tour (IMO). It’s what Universal is all about. I feel lucky that it’s still going, and it sounds like Universal is still committed to keeping it going!

I'm such a huge fan of Terminator (1 and 2) as a film series and truly feel T2 3D did such a great job capturing the essence of what made those films exciting while also understanding what made theme park shows exciting.

It really was a revolutionary and exciting show. I saw a video of the new "Bourne" show that replaced T2 3D at Florida and it had a few good ideas but the execution made it so slow and boring.

T2 3D was tightly paced and action packed.

I get that themeparks cant endlessly run the same shows for decades, but please if you're going to replace the Terminator show, do something that exceeds it.

PiratesMansion

I'm such a huge fan of Terminator (1 and 2) as a film series and truly feel T2 3D did such a great job capturing the essence of what made those films exciting while also understanding what made theme park shows exciting.

It really was a revolutionary and exciting show. I saw a video of the new "Bourne" show that replaced T2 3D at Florida and it had a few good ideas but the execution made it so slow and boring.

T2 3D was tightly paced and action packed.

I get that themeparks cant endlessly run the same shows for decades, but please if you're going to replace the Terminator show, do something that exceeds it.
Many people in Florida are saying good things about the Bourne show that replaced it out there.

And, of course, assuming international travel becomes a thing, there's always Universal Studios Japan, where T2:3D is still running!

DavidNoble

Terminator was such an amazing show. Seeing it from opening through closing, it's a show that always met and exceeded expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom