News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

Not every, there are plenty of show buildings visible in the MK and I'm cool with it. This one is specifically egregious if the goal is to have an immersive experience in SC.

Based on his general posting history here, I don't think he was talking about show buildings -- he'd prefer Disney build more exposed track rides everywhere. Like the Velocicoaster at Universal.

GimpYancIent

Based on his general posting history here, I don't think he was talking about show buildings -- he'd prefer Disney build more exposed track rides everywhere. Like the Velocicoaster at Universal.
Yeah in some cases exposed / outside rides or attractions work, but, I think these days things like having a controlled atmosphere for guest comfort and minimizing exposure of the guests to the elements weigh in.

corran horn

Am I the only one that thinks a rebuilt berm *should* fix most of the sightline issues for the TRON Box, inside the park, at least from ground level?
The Barnstormer queue isn't at ground-level. I'm doubtful it can be fixed from that perspective. From other areas in SBC it's already obstructed at ground-level by other weenies and a few trees.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Am I the only one that thinks a rebuilt berm *should* fix most of the sightline issues for the TRON Box, inside the park, at least from ground level?
No. You're not.

I've been posting Google Earth Pro POVs from the beginning showing that the big box, from inside the park, will mostly be occluded.

Outside the park, there is no hiding it except for an attempt with an inexplicable white, grey, and blue vertical stripe paint scheme.

owlsandcoffee

Ohhhh sorry @Jrb1979 I agree, I think one or two new exposed rides would be dandy.

Ah, I sure hope so. If so I'm gonna have to do some soul-searching about why I didn't trust Disney, lol.

RandySavage

The Tron box, both in Shanghai and in MK, is imagineering at its nadir.

The problem isn't that it will be visible from all over the park and Lakes. The problem is it's a massive unthemed warehouse. All they needed to do was go the extra mile (i.e., be the Disney everyone here got hooked on) and make the coaster shed a beautifully-designed shell rather than "please ignore me" box, and it would have been a welcome visual monument in both parks rather than an eyesore we'll have to see in perpetuity. Early art had it as such:

1 Overview Shanghai v4 (3).JPG

Brad Bishop

Outside of the new fashion at Disney to have large warehouses exposed:

I really think that they missed an opportunity with this one to have the Peoplemover go through it. Yes, they'd have to modify the Peoplemover to do so but that would have helped with the kinetic energy of Tomorrowland and I think Disney folks (customers) would have gone nuts over it.

Instead, it was easier to just take the blueprints from China and plop them down in WDW with no further modifications needed (and, uh, don't bother hiding the huge warehouse).

Bocabear

That is the old Disney...the Disney of the great designers and Imagineers... Rides related to each other...the idea of interweaving several attraction....with the Peoplemover like a preview of everything Tomorrowland had to offer was brilliant... A real shame they missed that opportunity to runt it through the world of Tron...and they closed so many of the views into other attractions....It would have been nice to see the Peoplemover get a whole new expanded show-set package... Add show sets into the black nothingness of Space Mountan now that you can no longer see the ride vehicles... They just seem to keep falling short.

doctornick

Outside of the new fashion at Disney to have large warehouses exposed:

I really think that they missed an opportunity with this one to have the Peoplemover go through it. Yes, they'd have to modify the Peoplemover to do so but that would have helped with the kinetic energy of Tomorrowland and I think Disney folks (customers) would have gone nuts over it.

Instead, it was easier to just take the blueprints from China and plop them down in WDW with no further modifications needed (and, uh, don't bother hiding the huge warehouse).

I absolutely agree with you - seeing Tron from the Peoplemover would have been pretty cool - but.... it may not have been realistically possible. Specifically, there has been some indications that the Peoplemover is not ADA compliant and is grandfathered in. If they substantially change the ride - and adding to it in order to go into Tron would almost certainly fit this - then they would have to dramatically alter it's setup. It's allegedly a reason why the track in DL sits there unused. This might all be an urbanmyth, but I could see it being true.

MagicHappens1971

I absolutely agree with you - seeing Tron from the Peoplemover would have been pretty cool - but.... it may not have been realistically possible. Specifically, there has been some indications that the Peoplemover is not ADA compliant and is grandfathered in. If they substantially change the ride - and adding to it in order to go into Tron would almost certainly fit this - then they would have to dramatically alter it's setup. It's allegedly a reason why the track in DL sits there unused. This might all be an urbanmyth, but I could see it being true.
I don’t know the specifics, but from what I’ve heard the “grandfather clause” was removed due to changes in the ADA a few years after its passing. Whether or not it’s true is another story

lazyboy97o

The requirements to update facilities is not so specific. While changing the layout of a ride would qualify it as an “altered ride” that should be accessible there are also exceptions for existing conditions, especially existing structures.
I don’t know the specifics, but from what I’ve heard the “grandfather clause” was removed due to changes in the ADA a few years after its passing. Whether or not it’s true is another story
Existing facilities are still allowed to remain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom