Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

Robbiem

If Disney wanted more park view rooms at Magic Kingdom there are still plots around seven seas lagoon. The Venetian plot and you could always build a resort at the TTC. An elevated resort above the ferry dock like the Miracosta or DLP hotel would add to the big reveal across the lagoon

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If Disney wanted more park view rooms at Magic Kingdom there are still plots around seven seas lagoon. The Venetian plot and you could always build a resort at the TTC. An elevated resort above the ferry dock like the Miracosta or DLP hotel would add to the big reveal across the lagoon

Plots, yes. Suitable for a large hotel? I know of only one off the top of my head, and I’d have to look to be sure.

lazyboy97o

I think that's the thing.

I don't believe it was designed thinking that people would go multiple times a year.
Or the commando style “touring”. It was supposed to be a leisurely start to a leisurely day. Even if you were spending multiple days at Walt Disney World there was a focus on activities outside the park. The hotels even had brochures for places like Cypress Gardens.

UNCgolf

Or the commando style “touring”. It was supposed to be a leisurely start to a leisurely day. Even if you were spending multiple days at Walt Disney World there was a focus on activities outside the park. The hotels even had brochures for places like Cypress Gardens.

Yeah. My first ever trip to Disney was when I was four or five -- I don't remember very much about it beyond loving Pirates of the Caribbean and EPCOT in general, but it was before Disney-MGM even opened so it was just the two parks. We stayed at the former Disney Inn. But Disney was only a part of that trip; I know we also went to Cape Canaveral/the Kennedy Space Center and a think a couple of other places.

People generally didn't go for a trip just to Disney World at that point in time.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Yeah. My first ever trip to Disney was when I was four or five -- I don't remember very much about it beyond loving Pirates of the Caribbean and EPCOT in general, but it was before Disney-MGM even opened so it was just the two parks. We stayed at the former Disney Inn. But Disney was only a part of that trip; I know we also went to Cape Canaveral/the Kennedy Space Center and a think a couple of other places.

People generally didn't go for a trip just to Disney World at that point in time.
Yep. My first visit was in 1976, age 10. We stayed off site and visited Cypress Gardens and Sea World in addition to WDW. Some key memories include the water ski show at Cypress Gardens (funny how that is the only thing I remember about that park), and the dolphins and Shamu at Sea World (the dolphin names were Cindy, Sandy and Aphrodite, IIRC. I definitely remember Cindy as that was the name of a girl I liked at the time).
My memories of WDW from that visit include riding the monorail through the CR. To me, that was part of the Magic Kingdom. I thought it would have been so cool to stay at the Magic Kingdom.
I would love a hotel connected to Epcot, or even inside of it. We stayed at AKL in 2002 and although it is not connected to AK, the theming was so similar it was like being connected to that park.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And they still shouldn’t. Imho.

Absolutely.

People need to know that there are many other quality things to do than WDW in Orlando and around the state. Some could argue that those other things are of better quality and/or value these days, as well. I could get snarky and bash a certain weatherman and his bald replacement, but I'm all snarked out right now.

UNCgolf

And they still shouldn’t. Imho.

Eh. It kind of depends on what you're interested in. If you don't care about thrill rides, Universal is easily doable in 2 days and there's not much else worth visiting. Nothing else around Orlando really moves the needle beyond what people could do closer to home (at least for American guests), except for the aforementioned Cape Canaveral.

I've been all around Orlando and it wouldn't even come close to a top 25 list of best places to visit in the US if WDW didn't exist, although Universal opening a third park could help. If you're expanding that to Florida as a whole, then that's a different conversation. Regardless, it's all about personal preferences.

I personally think the best thing in the area after WDW/Universal is Streamsong, but that only matters if you like golf.

Robbiem

Plots, yes. Suitable for a large hotel? I know of only one off the top of my head, and I’d have to look to be sure.
Here is a rough plot I did of possible plots, in my order of practical build out:
1 - the original Venetian/ Mediterranean plot easily suitable for at least one large resort if not two
2- the TTC could be developed into a smaller lakeside resort plot along/above the ferries (think the cancelled Disneyland hotel or the Miracosta / DLP hotel) would be doable but disruptive
3- the plot of land between the Grand Flo and the Magic Kingdom another large plot
4 - the Perisan plot. More of an outlier but was planned long ago so anything is possible
5 - the island by plot 1. Least likely but could be connected to site 1 by a bridge without affecting boast traffic, think the Burj Al Arab with a tower connected to the mainland

Each of these have pros and cons and not all might be suitable for building but each plot is sized for at least a Swan/Dolphin sized resort which fits the current trend for vegas style towers.

You also have Bay lake for resorts but that’s another post for another day😀✌️
1617396402946.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here is a rough plot I did of possible plots, in my order of practical build out:
1 - the original Venetian/ Mediterranean plot easily suitable for at least one large resort if not two
2- the TTC could be developed into a smaller lakeside resort plot along/above the ferries (think the cancelled Disneyland hotel or the Miracosta / DLP hotel) would be doable but disruptive
3- the plot of land between the Grand Flo and the Magic Kingdom another large plot
4 - the Perisan plot. More of an outlier but was planned long ago so anything is possible
5 - the island by plot 1. Least likely but could be connected to site 1 by a bridge without affecting boast traffic, think the Burj Al Arab with a tower connected to the mainland

Each of these have pros and cons and not all might be suitable for building but each plot is sized for at least a Swan/Dolphin sized resort which fits the current trend for vegas style towers.

View attachment 544612
There’s reasons why they haven’t been built on.

trainplane3

View attachment 544612
I believe plots 1 and 4 haven't been built on because they require a lot of work to become "suitable". And number 4 would give you views of the rear of Trons show building. That's not a great view at all.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

View attachment 544612

1 - The only suitable plot of land to build on. 2 - They aren't taking out the TTC. 3 is marginally suitable, most of 4 is marginally suitable, and 5 is complete unsuitable. "Marginally suitable" means they'd have to sink a lot of money into the land, figuratively and sometimes literally, to make it suitable.

SteveAZee

I believe plots 1 and 4 haven't been built on because they require a lot of work to become "suitable". And number 4 would give you views of the rear of Trons show building. That's not a great view at all.
So, an off-the-wall question. Are the marginally suitable areas good enough for something like, let's say, A Ft. Wilderness type resort? Small buildings, campers and RV's... no huge buildings. Then, of course, is the Ft Wilderness area suitable for development of something big?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom