Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

No, please no more surges. Is this getting even worse with variants. Pandemic will keep longer as expecting....Is the cases will go down by July as masks and social distancing will be removed soon for good.
Surges are not a good thing, but one thing to monitor is hospitalizations. As more are vaccinated, fewer cases should result in severity requiring hospitalization.
1617319503929.png

Hopefully the hospital utilization stays low for extreme and high stress levels. Remember, the original goal was to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. If they can be underwhelmed, for lack of a better term, then perhaps things get closer to the old normal.

Chi84

Premium Member
Surges are not a good thing, but one thing to monitor is hospitalizations. As more are vaccinated, fewer cases should result in severity requiring hospitalization.
View attachment 544362

Hopefully the hospital utilization stays low for extreme and high stress levels. Remember, the original goal was to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. If they can be underwhelmed, for lack of a better term, then perhaps things get closer to the old normal.
In Illinois, cases went up a lot - I think around 35% - but deaths remain flat and hospitalizations are up around 13%. Most cases are 18 to 39 year olds.

ABQ

In Illinois, cases went up a lot - I think around 35% - but deaths remain flat and hospitalizations are up around 13%. Most cases are 18 to 39 year olds.
How long, if at all, has that age group been eligible for vaccination?

JoeCamel

View attachment 544362

As long as a variant is not produced with increased cases I agree the hospital and death count reductions are great but it is playing with fire to ignore rising cases and positivity

Chi84

Premium Member
How long, if at all, has that age group been eligible for vaccination?
On April 12, eligibility will open for everyone 16+ for most of Illinois. Chicago and suburban Cook will restrict a bit longer because supply is way behind demand there. Downstate is a different story. I heard some slots are going unfilled.

Realistically, most of the people who have been vaccinated so far are nursing home residents, healthcare workers and 65+. I expect that very few in the 18 to 39 age group have been vaccinated unless they fall into an eligible category for reasons other than age.

ToTBellHop

Dose 1, April 6th, Moderna! Give me some of that fine Boston (Cambridge) ale!
@MansionButler84 , my CT friend. I was hoaxed to try last night at midnight, gave up at 1. Then at 7:15, found a great slot!!!!

edit: Just in time too, my WDW 11 day trip begins 4/29. So I’ll have the 1 dose 80%+ infection protection for the trip ;)
Wonderful!

MrHappy

Wonderful!
Thanks. Just to share in case others find it, uhh, inspiring:
I had several tabs open in Chrome along with pre registrations:
MyCharts Hartford
MyCharts Yale
Vams
CVS
Walgreens
Stamford Hospital
Stop & Shop

after an hour from midnight until 1, all frustration. From site failures to no apts. I dejectedly gave up. About 5 hrs of sleep later... boom! Apts must have been uploaded for the next Phase. The hour was HOT. I got lucky, friends who joined the party just 15 mins later, only found options for weeks later (still not bad).
I thought battling with the younger group (CT opened 16-45, I’m the top part of that) I’d encounter youthful tech exuberance.

JoeCamel

MyCharts Hartford
MyCharts Yale
Vams
CVS
Walgreens
Stamford Hospital
Stop & Shop

after an hour from midnight until 1, all frustration. From site failures to no apts. I dejectedly gave up. About 5 hrs of sleep later... boom! Apts must have been uploaded for the next Phase. The hour was HOT. I got lucky, friends who joined the party just 15 mins later, only found options for weeks later (still not bad).
I thought battling with the younger group (CT opened 16-45, I’m the top part of that) I’d encounter youthful tech exuberance.
You know those lazy kids slept in thinking it would be easy later...

Maybe I missed it before but where did you end up?

MrHappy

You know those lazy kids slept in thinking it would be easy later...

Maybe I missed it before but where did you end up?
Indeed, this morning I had my weekly team call, my very young social media manager seemed somewhat surprised and with no sense of urgency said “oh, I’ll try to get one of those apts.”. Poor kid.
Any way, I got April 6. I’m very pleased. As my previous post mentioned, I will be WDW bound 4/29. So my T cells and anti bods will be ready!

JoeCamel

Indeed, this morning I had my weekly team call, my very young social media manager seemed somewhat surprised and with no sense of urgency said “oh, I’ll try to get one of those apts.”. Poor kid.
Any way, I got April 6. I’m very pleased. As my previous post mentioned, I will be WDW bound 4/29. So my T cells and anti bods will be ready!
I meant which provider were you able to book with?

ABQ

MyCharts Hartford
MyCharts Yale
Vams
CVS
Walgreens
Stamford Hospital
Stop & Shop

So what you're saying is, all your experience in booking ADR's 180 days out went out the window and you could have just slept in? ;)

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
@GoofGoof looks like NJ has COVID-19 rises cases again....sighs..is NJ will turn around and cases will go return back down trending this month, May-July? Will NJ will still go back to normal with masks and social distancing go away by July?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
On April 12, eligibility will open for everyone 16+ for most of Illinois. Chicago and suburban Cook will restrict a bit longer because supply is way behind demand there. Downstate is a different story. I heard some slots are going unfilled.

Realistically, most of the people who have been vaccinated so far are nursing home residents, healthcare workers and 65+. I expect that very few in the 18 to 39 age group have been vaccinated unless they fall into an eligible category for reasons other than age.
My kids got appointments over the border in Indiana.

OrlandoRising

Have to account for lagging indicators. You can expect deaths to go up by some amount soon.

Even if most new cases are among younger people, the rise is still concerning because A) some of those young people will still be hospitalized and die, B) more opportunities for spread and mutations, and C) they could spread it to more vulnerable individuals who have not been vaccinated or are not yet fully protected by vaccines (meaning before they hit two weeks past their second dose).

I'm 33 and live in Chicago, but I've been vaccinated because I traveled outside the city to get it once I became eligible under Phase 1B+. I didn't break any eligibility rules by doing so, nearly all pharmacies in the state just require that you're an Illinois resident and are eligible under the state's rules, not the rules of your city or county of residence.

I did debate driving to Springfield or Carbondale to get it, hearing about all the open appointments there. Luckily that wasn't necessary.

Nubs70

I have had a revelation after my 2nd Covid shot on how WDW and Covid vaccination experience.

I was at WDW last week so here it goes. WDW and the vaccination center are similar, in that:
  1. Both have long lines
  2. Both have markers in 6ft intervals
  3. Everyone is wearing masks
  4. Noone talks to each other
  5. A solitary experience in the midst of a large amount of people

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have had a revelation after my 2nd Covid shot on how WDW and Covid vaccination experience.

I was at WDW last week so here it goes. WDW and the vaccination center are similar, in that:
  1. Both have long lines
Wait. Where is this? How can I live that all the time?! I need to know!!!

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

1. Both have long lines
Now that you mention it my vaccination experience was also similar to a Disney trip... showed up about half an hour early, was directed to my first line, took about 15 minutes to get to check in, after they checked my “ticket” (confirmation code) I was directed to another line, took about 15 more minutes to get to the attraction (shot), and then was sent to another area to sit for 15 minutes to make sure I didn’t get sick.

I go for my second shot on Tuesday, maybe I’ll wear ears this time.

seascape

Another disappointing day. The country was up slightly and due to rounding and is back to 20 cases per 100,000 andFlorida is still at 24. Minnesota bumped NH out of the top 10 but Michigan stayed #1 with an average of 59. NJ at 52 and NY at 42 are the only other states above 40. Arkansas is the lowest state with 5 while California is the second lowest state with 7. If California can get 7 and moving close to 6 why can't NJ and NY. Governor Cuomo kept saying how great NY was, well prove it! NY and NJ are a joke on how bad they are doing and Florida isn't doing much better.

DisneyCane

1. Both have long lines
The question is what is easier for the average person to obtain, a vaccine appointment or a BG for RotR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom