Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly this. Death and hospital rates being lower are definitely a good thing but we don't want to see any more variants (which tend to pop up during spikes).

I also think this is important messaging to push past hesitancy. It's not just about *you* not dying from COVID.
I love the last sentence. It’s ironic how a lot of the same people who railed on about the economy and belittled people who were “afraid of a virus” now won’t get the vaccine which is a huge negative for the economy and they are “afraid“ of a vaccine.

ToTBellHop

Good news for international travelers: the CDC is announcing travel is low risk for the fully-vaccinated and quarantine unnecessary following international travel. In particular, for UK visitors (due to higher rate of vaccination there), this could open the door for travel to America soon enough. Are they starting second doses yet? It must be 12 weeks for some, now.

MaryJaneP

It is interesting to see how Israel is doing in the face of vaccination or lack thereof. This Associated Press article also speaks to the "herd immunity" and passport issues. Some os the first paragraphs follow, as does a link to the full article.

"

ILAN BEN ZION
Fri, April 2, 2021, 2:08 AM

JERUSALEM (AP) — After spending much of the past year in lockdown, Tel Aviv makeup artist Artyom Kavnatsky was ready to get back to work. But when he showed up for a recent photo shoot, his employer turned him away. The reason? He had not been vaccinated against the coronavirus.
“He didn’t take me because I didn’t get vaccinated,” Kavnatsky said. “It’s discrimination, and it’s not all right."
The breakneck pace of Israel’s vaccination drive has made it one of the few countries able to return to much of its pre-pandemic routine. Bars and businesses, hotels and health clubs have all sprung back to life in Israel, where some 80% of the adult population is fully vaccinated and new infections and COVID-19 deaths have plummeted.
While Israel provides a glimpse of what may be possible with high immunization rates, it also offers insight into the problems that lie ahead: Workplaces and schools are now grappling with what to do with those who refuse to get vaccinated as the next phase in the pandemic again pits public health concerns against individual rights and possibly new questions of equity. One case has already ended up in court, and others are expected to."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Good news for international travelers: the CDC is announcing travel is low risk for the fully-vaccinated and quarantine unnecessary following international travel. In particular, for UK visitors (due to higher rate of vaccination there), this could open the door for travel to America soon enough. Are they starting second doses yet? It must be 12 weeks for some, now.

Definitely good news!

Article below from the NYT -

"Americans who are fully vaccinated can travel “at low risk to themselves,” both within the United States and internationally, but they must continue to take precautions like wearing a mask in public, avoiding crowds, maintaining social distancing and washing hands frequently, federal health officials said on Friday.

Vaccinated Americans do not need to get a coronavirus test before arriving in another country, unless required to do so by authorities at the destination, and they do not need to quarantine after returning to the United States unless required to do so by local jurisdictions, according to new recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But vaccinated travelers should have a negative result from a coronavirus test before boarding a flight back to the United States, and they should get tested against three to five days after their return home. The recommendation is predicated on the idea that vaccinated people may still be infected with the virus.

People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, or two weeks after receiving the second dose of the two-dose regimen from Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna."

havoc315

...... I'm expecting to see indications of Disney planning increased operational capacity right after Easter. Let the Easter crowd pass.... Then put the wheels in motion for greater attendance by late Spring. More hotel and restaurant staff returning, a bit more entertainment returning. Announcement of summer discounts based on anticipated occupancy rates.

As of now, there have been no publicly available indications of Disney making any significant efforts to increase operational capacity. (lots of hotels and restaurants still without re-opening dates. Outside of FOTLK, no signs of entertainment staff being brought back.)

ToTBellHop

Definitely good news!

Article below from the NYT -

"Americans who are fully vaccinated can travel “at low risk to themselves,” both within the United States and internationally, but they must continue to take precautions like wearing a mask in public, avoiding crowds, maintaining social distancing and washing hands frequently, federal health officials said on Friday.

Vaccinated Americans do not need to get a coronavirus test before arriving in another country, unless required to do so by authorities at the destination, and they do not need to quarantine after returning to the United States unless required to do so by local jurisdictions, according to new recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But vaccinated travelers should have a negative result from a coronavirus test before boarding a flight back to the United States, and they should get tested against three to five days after their return home. The recommendation is predicated on the idea that vaccinated people may still be infected with the virus.

People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, or two weeks after receiving the second dose of the two-dose regimen from Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna."

That’s a bit contradictory when they’ve also said the vaccinated don’t need a test following exposure to someone with covid, but I get it, and if rapid tests are enough and available at the airport of origin, it’s a small price to pay.

Heppenheimer

Just wondering, has anyone seen recent polling on vaccine acceptance vs. hesitancy broken down by age groups? We know the political breakdown (which shall not be mentioned here again!), but it might be enlightening to see if there are any significant gaps between age demographics. Especially now that many states are reporting vaccine rates in the high 80%s for seniors.

Jrb1979

Let hope it’s short lived. On the bright side we are adding to the number naturally “immune”. Immune is immune, but I’d rather have a sore arm and a potential headache :)
I hope it's short lived. With more younger people filling the hospitals every where it is concerning. Especially since they are the generation that doesn't want the shot.

seascape

These daily update posts from you are the equivalent of beating your head against the wall. We all know cases are going to rise right now due to spring break. The younger generation just doesn’t care about getting sick. You keep beating up NY and NJ, but if you look at the specific areas of those states that are high, it’s the very densely populated NYC area and NJ suburbs right outside NYC and Philadelphia. Until the weather breaks for spring (hopefully now), people are still going to congregate indoors mostly. I live in South Jersey and I feel our area is doing very well with it. The majority of people I work with and almost all of my friends and family have been fully vaccinated by now. This is what we should be using our voices for...urging more people to get the vaccine. Not complaining about cases rising and calling out entire states with a blanket statement.

And for the record using your reasoning, I “own property in NJ so I have the right to talk positively about my state”....😉
Ii was born, raised and still a NJ resident and income tax payer. I am proud of NJ on the things we do right but not blind and when we do a bad job we need to admit it and take responsibility. The terrible job we are doing fighting Covid19 must be pointed out. Having over 50 cases per 100,000 is inexcusable. I have been pleading on my posts for people to get vaccinated, wash their hands and social distance. However, the state has done little to help. I went crazy trying to get the vaccine as soon as I was qualified, finally getting it in Berlin. I also signed up in Florida. The State of NJ did nothing to help. Florida on the otherhand called me just after I had received my first shot in NJ. NJ and the county I live in did nothing. My wife was easy to sign up because she is still employed in Essex county and because she works there Essex County had to allow her to sign up and get the shot. Thanks to the fact that the residents of Essex Country are not getting vaccinated at the rate they should, those who work in Newark have an easy time getting it. If you want me to pick on Northern NJ only and not the Southern portion of the state, so be it, but it is still one state.

havoc315

That’s a bit contradictory when they’ve also said the vaccinated don’t need a test following exposure to someone with covid, but I get it, and if rapid tests are enough and available at the airport of origin, it’s a small price to pay.

It's specific to international travel for the re-testing -- I think it's a precaution to limit entry of even more new variants.
In other words... as long as you're traveling domestically... No need for testing, because no great fear about exposure to someone with a known variant. But international travel increases risk of even more new variants.

Last edited:

ABQ

I pulled some hospitalization data of the healthdata.gov site. Sadly, the archive is a bit wonky and though I tried to get data for the past 3 weeks, the cutoff dates are not exact.
However, it gives a picture of hospital utilization. I filtered for a few states, some often mentioned here to show some trends, not good and good. I could throw it into a graph, but I live in pivot tables most of my day.

1617378417872.png

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

It's specific to international travel for the resting -- I think it's a precaution to limit entry of even more new variants.
In other words... as long as you're traveling domestically... No need for testing, because no great fear about exposure to someone with a known variant. But international travel increases risk of even more new variants.
Makes perfect sense. This should spell the end of state-specific travel advisories, honestly.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It's specific to international travel for the resting -- I think it's a precaution to limit entry of even more new variants.
So new variants will get even worse?

lisa12000

I assume you mean the uk? Yes we are now doing far more 2nd doses than 1st. We did 400,000 plus yesterday and have fully vaccinated 10% - this will rise very quickly now with an average of 3-400,000 second doses a day I reckon. Of course we need boris to let us out as well!

ToTBellHop

I assume you mean the uk? Yes we are now doing far more 2nd doses than 1st. We did 400,000 plus yesterday and have fully vaccinated 10% - this will rise very quickly now with an average of 3-400,000 second doses a day I reckon. Of course we need boris to let us out as well!
Won’t it be funny if you can get to WDW before DLP!

havoc315

So new variants will get even worse?

No. But the more uncontrolled spread you have, the more new variants will emerge, and the more new variants that emerge, the more uncertainty you have. And yes -- A new variant COULD be worse.

When you have very limited spread -- there will be very few new variants. So more spread just increases the variation which increases the risk of something more dangerous.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No. But the more uncontrolled spread you have, the more new variants will emerge, and the more new variants that emerge, the more uncertainty you have. And yes -- A new variant COULD be worse.

When you have very limited spread -- there will be very few new variants. So more spread just increases the variation which increases the risk of something more dangerous.
Now the pandemic will never end soon thanks to new variants....😥😫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom