Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantgolfer

Another disappointing day. The country was up slightly and due to rounding and is back to 20 cases per 100,000 andFlorida is still at 24. Minnesota bumped NH out of the top 10 but Michigan stayed #1 with an average of 59. NJ at 52 and NY at 42 are the only other states above 40. Arkansas is the lowest state with 5 while California is the second lowest state with 7. If California can get 7 and moving close to 6 why can't NJ and NY. Governor Cuomo kept saying how great NY was, well prove it! NY and NJ are a joke on how bad they are doing and Florida isn't doing much better.
These daily update posts from you are the equivalent of beating your head against the wall. We all know cases are going to rise right now due to spring break. The younger generation just doesn’t care about getting sick. You keep beating up NY and NJ, but if you look at the specific areas of those states that are high, it’s the very densely populated NYC area and NJ suburbs right outside NYC and Philadelphia. Until the weather breaks for spring (hopefully now), people are still going to congregate indoors mostly. I live in South Jersey and I feel our area is doing very well with it. The majority of people I work with and almost all of my friends and family have been fully vaccinated by now. This is what we should be using our voices for...urging more people to get the vaccine. Not complaining about cases rising and calling out entire states with a blanket statement.

And for the record using your reasoning, I “own property in NJ so I have the right to talk positively about my state”....😉

DisneyCane

I am really starting to be concerned with the vaccine demand. I just went to the Publix site an hour and twenty minutes after the window opened to book appointments for next Tuesday. All people in FL 18+ (Publix is Moderna and sometimes J&J) are eligible and these appointments are for a single day next week. There was no waiting when I entered and I can easily book an appointment in Alachua, Bay, Clay, Columbia, Duval, Escambia, Leon, Nassau, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties.

I don't know how quickly appointments went in the counties where they are all booked but this is a troubling sign. I continue my mantra that something needs to be done to incentivize getting vaccinated or we won't get anywhere near the required percentage for herd immunity in the younger demographics.

ABQ

One bright spot, for the first time, the average deaths per day in the US dropped below 1,000

1617367276486.png

Each death is tragic, but this is an improving figure.

CatesMom

I am really starting to be concerned with the vaccine demand. I just went to the Publix site an hour and twenty minutes after the window opened to book appointments for next Tuesday. All people in FL 18+ (Publix is Moderna and sometimes J&J) are eligible and these appointments are for a single day next week. There was no waiting when I entered and I can easily book an appointment in Alachua, Bay, Clay, Columbia, Duval, Escambia, Leon, Nassau, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton Counties.

I don't know how quickly appointments went in the counties where they are all booked but this is a troubling sign. I continue my mantra that something needs to be done to incentivize getting vaccinated or we won't get anywhere near the required percentage for herd immunity in the younger demographics.
I started a new job this week at a large law firm, and have been amazed at the flow of vaccine-encouraging emails that have already flooded my inbox. (I'm between the v's, second dose scheduled for next week, so just watching with interest, not trying to scoop up an appointment). Hopefully the messaging about how and where to sign up, which pharmacies have doses available, etc., will prompt fence-sitters to get their shots.

JoeCamel

Did you note where those counties are? Not just young people ignoring the vac there

DisneyCane

Did you note where those counties are? Not just young people ignoring the vac there
I did note that. However, there are exceptions. Alachua (Gainesville) and Leon (Tallahassee) don't fit the anti-vaccine demographics.

Eventually the appointments get filled but at some point they need to allocate the doses where people want them.

JoeCamel

getting political
I did note that. However, there are exceptions. Alachua (Gainesville) and Leon (Tallahassee) don't fit the anti-vaccine demographics.

Eventually the appointments get filled but at some point they need to allocate the doses where people
Deleted for politics

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another disappointing day. The country was up slightly and due to rounding and is back to 20 cases per 100,000 andFlorida is still at 24. Minnesota bumped NH out of the top 10 but Michigan stayed #1 with an average of 59. NJ at 52 and NY at 42 are the only other states above 40. Arkansas is the lowest state with 5 while California is the second lowest state with 7. If California can get 7 and moving close to 6 why can't NJ and NY. Governor Cuomo kept saying how great NY was, well prove it! NY and NJ are a joke on how bad they are doing and Florida isn't doing much better.
CA was a train wreck a few months ago. They went back to partial stay at home orders and they improved dramatically over time. It takes time. People here were railing on about how restrictions don’t work because CA had so many while FL had virtually none and CA had more cases per capita than FL. It takes time for those mitigation’s to have an impact. Eventually they do work as we now see in CA. Do you honestly think the masses in NY/NJ and especially in FL are going to accept a return to more restrictions? I think the ship has sailed on that. The vaccines are the way out, but they also take time. The higher the level of community spread is now the longer it will take. I’ve been saying this for a while now. If enough people don’t take the vaccine it will take even longer as we have to wait for additional people to get naturally immune.

For anyone who wants to see the pandemic end quickly you should continue to mask, distance and avoid public interaction and get the vaccine as soon as you are eligible. It’s going to be a 2-3 more months before we see the full impact of the vaccines. If people control themselves a little longer and take the vaccine, by July there’s a good chance we will see a big improvement.

DisneyCane

Those are in the heart of jonny reb country, both still fly the stars and bars prominently
I lived in Gainesville for four years (not college). While there are some areas like that around Alachua, a large portion of the population is not at all like that.

An unrelated pet peeve. The rebel flag that is flown by some is not "the stars and bars" flag. I don't think I've ever seen the stars and bars flag displayed except as part of a museum or display somewhere.

mmascari

For those getting employer time off to get the vaccine, mine just raised the bar. We got 3 full days for use in any increments to get vaccinated, recover after, time to make appointments, or help a family member with any of those too. Basically can be used for anything vaccine related at all, for yourself or a family member.

It’s in the system like any other time off for 2021. Not sure after that, buts that’s quite the incentive to get it now.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Is fourth wave is really happen now as NJ will getting better by July? I'm worried fourth wave will getting worse as first one. @GoofGoof is USA will getting back to normal sooner by July if all people is getting a vaccine?

themarchhare

As long as a variant is not produced with increased cases I agree the hospital and death count reductions are great but it is playing with fire to ignore rising cases and positivity
Exactly this. Death and hospital rates being lower are definitely a good thing but we don't want to see any more variants (which tend to pop up during spikes).

I also think this is important messaging to push past hesitancy. It's not just about *you* not dying from COVID.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yet there are voices here and in the general public beating the constant drum of "when can I stop wearing a mask?!"

It ain't going to be soon as long as their are hot spots with rising cases.
I agree the mitigation measures, including masks, need to be around a bit longer, but there's only so much a mask can do.

Before the pitchforks come out, I'm not saying masks aren't effective. But in the last few months it's becoming clear that they aren't being worn in the places where COVID is actually being spread - in offices, gatherings of families and friends, etc. Just last week, I saw several parishioners leave a church, take off their masks and congregate in the parking lot next to their cars. Restaurants in our area have increased capacity limits, and people are sitting close to one another for prolonged periods of time, not wearing masks. Our mayor said yesterday that the current spike is being driven by young people on "bar crawls" and playing indoor sports like basketball. Requiring my vaccinated mother-in-law to wear a mask in a store isn't going to stop this.

Requiring people to wear masks in some places (like on public transportation) makes sense, can be enforced and needs to continue. But as more and more people take steps to protect themselves with vaccinations, the masks will be doing less and less in terms of actual effectiveness. Require them or not, it isn't going to make much difference unless the threat of continued mask-wearing is used as a club to get people vaccinated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom