Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

i think it looks pretty fantastic. granted, the spiderman ride is a short dark ride, not a major e-ticket attraction by any means, but a small interactive all ages dark ride. CA needs more rides, and a small dark ride is a great addition imo. Also it has flying robots on the roof. Right now, the GotG Tower is the major avenger campus ride, but they will eventually build a major ride in the expansion spot so then there will be 2 e-tickets and spiderman. but for now, we get a cool little interactive small dark ride, huge food/beverage spot along with a couple more smaller spots, a Dr strange walkthrough thing that I dont know what it will be exactly but looks neat, a store, maybe the restrooms will be themed ha, and hopefully a lot of character interactions when things get back to normal. Also, the flying spiderman robots are gonna be a pretty radical addition to the land, I dont think any amusement park has flying robots on the top of their buildings. I think overall this will be a pretty great addition to CA and its way better than bugs land imo.

__r.jr

Still not very excited about this project.

The whole project seems contrived and uninspired.

Marvel has an enriched library of material, this new land could have had many avenues to veer off into that. This section could have been an extension of Buena Vista Street with a comic book narrative set in the 50's during Marvel's early years when it was known as Atlas Comics or a 1980's Los Angeles featuring the West Coast Avengers.

The aforementioned concepts don't tie directly in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe but it would have been an unique way to introduce new characters, connective storylines and history; to fit better thematically as well as build upon what is already there.

Californian Elitist

Marvel has an enriched library of material, this new land could have had many avenues to veer off into that. This section could have been an extension of Buena Vista Street with a comic book narrative set in the 50's during Marvel's early years when it was known as Atlas Comics or a 1980's Los Angeles featuring the West Coast Avengers.

The aforementioned concepts don't tie directly in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe but it would have been an unique way to introduce new characters, connective storylines and history; to fit better thematically as well as build upon what is already there.
We all know Disney no longer goes for anything unique anymore, except for fictional S.E.A. characters. As you stated, there is a seemingly endless amount of Marvel material that could have been used for this project. But Disney’s not interested in putting in the work and giving us something unexpected. Turning Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride was the first clue that Disney most likely didn’t spend enough time putting some heart, thought, and quality design into this project. I know it’s not open yet and I will save my final judgement for when the entire land is complete in a few years or so, but none of what I’ve seen so far has genuinely piqued my curiosity or any excitement.

On a related note, I’m just tired of hearing about these same Marvel characters, and I’m saying this as someone who enjoys most of the films. They’re everywhere now and it’s starting to become as annoying as the insane amount of Star Wars that has infiltrated the parks and the company in general. Enough is enough.

Movielover

On a related note, I’m just tired of hearing about these same Marvel characters, and I’m saying this as someone who enjoys most of the films. They’re everywhere now

Now just imagine if Disney was allowed to use the word Marvel in both parks and the Avenger family in the east coast? How much more do you think it would be plastered everywhere...

_caleb

The Buena Vista Street extension was my preference all along. The entrance is set in the 1920s. Then progresses to the 1930s toward the end of the block. At the Carthey Circle, you get to the 1940s, ending in the 1950s at the end of the block. This progression works perfectly for Marvel characters!

The Marvel version of things should have started at the Backlot theater and lounge area with classic characters from WW2 era (Agent Carter, Howard Stark, Classic Cap, etc.) to keep with the era theming.

Then, instead of Avengers Campus, continue the decade-at-a-time transition moving down toward the tower and around the bend. Have the street shift to the 1960s (add Fantastic Four and early X-Men here), the 1970s (add Bronze Age characters like Luke Cage, Wolverine, Star-Lord), then progress until current MCU (and end with future MCU).

Californian Elitist

Now just imagine if Disney was allowed to use the word Marvel in both parks and the Avenger family in the east coast? How much more do you think it would be plastered everywhere...
I have very little to no interest in WDW, so I’m not personally affected or bothered by the choices made out there for those parks. But it would of course be out there as well without the limitations in place.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It's a double-edged sword. While it would be cool to see the old Marvel heroes from the 80's at the parks and a bit more originality, all Disney wants to see is kids coming into the parks and being able to see the things they watch on the TV and movie screen.

Is this a new thing? What was on TV and movie screens in the '50s? Westerns? Pirates? It was easier to appeal to kids back then because they can be more original and generalized. Now everything is IP-based, so Disney thinks the only way to appeal to kids is through IP.

Not saying it's right or trying to start a 50-page off-topic discussion, just pointing out that that's the way Disney approaches things. 😒

MarvelCharacterNerd

Is this a new thing? What was on TV and movie screens in the '50s? Westerns? Pirates? It was easier to appeal to kids back then because they can be more original and generalized. Now everything is IP-based, so Disney thinks the only way to appeal to kids is through IP.
Davy Crockett. True Life Adventures. Mickey Mouse Club. (All of which were represented in the park.)

As well as non-Disney properties like The Lone Ranger, Howdy Doody, Adventures of Superman.

IP has always driven entertainment. In his day, even Shakespeare was a 'brand'. :)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Davy Crockett. True Life Adventures. Mickey Mouse Club. (All of which were represented in the park.)

As well as non-Disney properties like The Lone Ranger, Howdy Doody, Adventures of Superman.

IP has always driven entertainment. In his day, even Shakespeare was a 'brand'. :)
So then it just comes down to adults complaining that today's IP isn't as good as the IP they nostalgically loved as children. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom