News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

mickEblu

Yeah, no. Someone with experience could have that level of detail drawn in a day. Bring it into SketchUp and in a few hours you have 3D massings that can be the base of an aerial. Using stuff that already exists only helps add ”detail”.

I think what he means or at least what I took from his post is that they have big plans for those areas and it’s great that they are thinking that big. I disagree however that the designs have been thought through. I haven’t taken that close of a look but if it’s true that they have mountain ranges all around those west side additions for sight lines from the properties on Walnut, hotel etc would indicate that it was more than just a quick copy paste job.

captveg

This is basically like since we are right near the (assumed) end of Covid, when everyone is looking forward to life AND Anaheim is hurting for cash, Disney is basically like "You want money and jobs right?"

Essentially. But it's still a good idea to prep the zoning for the next couple decades. This doesn't stop them from reviving Tomorrowland or parts of Fantasyland, either.

I do really like the idea of another entrance point for both parks. Both Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel could have their own private guest only entrances to the parks that border them as well, like the Grand Californian.

lazyboy97o

I think what he means or at least what I took from his post is that they have big plans for those areas and it’s great that they are thinking that big. I disagree however that the designs have been thought through. I haven’t taken that close of a look but if it’s true that they have mountain ranges all around those west side additions for sight lines from the properties on Walnut, hotel etc would indicate that it was more than just a quick copy paste job.
I’m not sure why you think mountains have any significance. Many of the attractions were very clearly copied. Adding embellishments like mountains is not something that has to be a whole process.

britain

1616735686450.png

This gives me good ol' Wescot vibes.

SplashJacket

I don't really care if none of this turns out this way - the mere fact that they are thinking this big again makes me happy.
This 100%. I think this is just purely an ultimate investment plan to coerce Anaheim to let them do as they please do we won’t end up getting any of this, but it’s still fun to look at new art and theorize, even if the end result will likely be more armchair than anything.

mickEblu

I’m not sure why you think mountains have any significance. Many of the attractions were very clearly copied. Adding embellishments like mountains is not something that has to be a whole process.

They have significance if they are present throughout the entire west side of the concept art and are strategically placed with DLR specific sight lines in mind. Again, I didn’t take that close of a look. I’ve been on my phone, it’s very grainy and it didn’t look particular interesting. Overall kind of vague which I guess is what they were going for.

BrianLo

If the city agrees, why not? Granted it will take many years but I wouldn’t be shocked if 70% of what we see in the plans is built within 10 years.

I do hope so! But have been around the block enough times to know that vague sales pitch concepts don't exactly see the light of day.

I do think *eventually* the parks will build themselves out that way though. Particularly now that they've drawn it up, it makes the most sense. This is a strong rejection of a third gate. While I always thought DCA should expand that way, the secondary dual plaza entrances is quite smart.

In the same way that eventually EPCOT will add another country. We just may not be alive to see it.

trolol123

my post from the other thread if this is the hot thread:

as someone who lived through the DCA expansion and remembers the tease strawberry field third gate stuff from the late 90s/early 2000s

I am cautiously optimistic. I don't know how much I care for the tentative plans, but I do like the idea of expansion from their current landlocked position. I also just wouldn't get my hopes up period, because like I said, I remember my DCA excitement.

overall though, I am open to opening things up to expansion, just not gonna get on the hype train yet.

mickEblu

This is very premature concern but I hope that if DL ever expands to the West that NOS keeps its intimate feel. That area in the back of NOS with the shops, French Market, Magnolia park, the train station and Mansion are near perfection. I’m hoping the land would indeed connect from Critter Country instead. Goodbye Winnie the Pooh store.

Darkbeer1

If the city agrees, why not? Granted it will take many years but I wouldn’t be shocked if 70% of what we see in the plans is built within 10 years.

From the Media Fact Sheet:

>>DisneylandForward is a multiyear public planning effort that the Disneyland Resort is launching to update our existing 1990s development approvals with the City of Anaheim to allow for more integrated experiences and investment. Disney is not seeking any public funding for DisneylandForward, nor are we seeking additional square footage or hotel rooms beyond what is currently approved and allowed. Rather, we are simply working with the city and community to update our existing approvals to allow for integrated development to be located and built throughout Disney properties. We are at the very early stages of this effort with the city, and this multiyear process will include many opportunities for public involvement.<<

TP2000

my post from the other thread if this is the hot thread:

as someone who lived through the DCA expansion and remembers the tease strawberry field third gate stuff from the late 90s/early 2000s

I am cautiously optimistic. I don't know how much I care for the tentative plans, but I do like the idea of expansion from their current landlocked position. I also just wouldn't get my hopes up period, because like I said, I remember my DCA excitement.

overall though, I am open to opening things up to expansion, just not gonna get on the hype train yet.

Agreed.

The concept art is throwaway stuff. There's no way any of that means much of anything. It was literally a cut-and-paste job of various WDI proposals and concepts for any and all Disney theme parks around the world.

Consider that these plans apparently show visitors of 2030 will enter Disney California Adventure by scanning into an opening act entrance that is Wakanda, a made-up African nation with superpowers that has nothing to do with California. Or reality. 🧐

But the overall concept is sound, and is a major sea change. This is suddenly a solid proposal to build bridges over Disneyland Drive linking both Anaheim parks to sizeable expansion pads that could each hold a major land or two. That's big!

And it's certainly more promising and a vastly better use of space than where we were five years ago, when Michael Colglazier thought it was a brilliant idea to waste those surface parking lots on a fourth hotel instead of theme park expansion. Colglazier was an idiot.

I do appreciate though that so many of us here on the Disneyland side of this forum have the sophistication to realize this is only a pretty visual to sway public opinion, and it means nothing regarding actual rides or IP's or themes. Although some of those YouTube blogger guys didn't let me down tonight, and are hustling for Likes and Subscribes like a rentboy after Last Call by hyping this as an actual plan. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mickEblu

I do hope so! But have been around the block enough times to know that vague sales pitch concepts don't exactly see the light of day.

I do think *eventually* the parks will build themselves out that way though. Particularly now that they've drawn it up, it makes the most sense. This is a strong rejection of a third gate. While I always thought DCA should expand that way, the secondary dual plaza entrances is quite smart.

In the same way that eventually EPCOT will add another country. We just may not be alive to see it.

I didn’t really think of the secondary dual plaza entrance until you mentioned it. Interesting. So guests coming from the Eastern gateway can decide to enter one of the parks from the current esplanade or walk through DTD and enter the parks from the new plaza which I guess without referencing the concept art would be about where that empty lot behind the AMC is?

The walk to enter a Disney park for guests walking the new path from Mickey and Friends would be cut in half... assuming it’s still there.

mickEblu

From the Media Fact Sheet:

>>DisneylandForward is a multiyear public planning effort that the Disneyland Resort is launching to update our existing 1990s development approvals with the City of Anaheim to allow for more integrated experiences and investment. Disney is not seeking any public funding for DisneylandForward, nor are we seeking additional square footage or hotel rooms beyond what is currently approved and allowed. Rather, we are simply working with the city and community to update our existing approvals to allow for integrated development to be located and built throughout Disney properties. We are at the very early stages of this effort with the city, and this multiyear process will include many opportunities for public involvement.<<

So are you saying 10 years is too optimistic?

mickEblu

Agreed.

The concept art is throwaway stuff. There's no way any of that means much of anything. It was literally a cut-and-paste job of various WDI proposals and concepts for any and all Disney theme parks around the world.

But the overall concept is sound, and is a major sea change. This is suddenly a solid proposal to build bridges over Disneyland Drive linking both Anaheim parks to sizeable expansion pads that could each hold a major land or two. That's big!

And it's certainly more promising and a vastly better use of space than where we were five years ago, when Michael Colglazier thought it was a brilliant idea to waste those surface parking lots on a fourth hotel instead of theme park expansion. Colglazier was an idiot.

I do appreciate though that so many of us here on the Disneyland side of this forum have the sophistication to realize this is only a pretty visual to sway public opinion, and it means nothing regarding actual rides or IP's or themes. Although some of those YouTube blogger guys didn't let me down tonight, and are hustling for Likes and Subscribes like a rentboy after Last Call by hyping this as an actual plan. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me. This is one million times better than the hotel idea being shoehorned between the DL hotel and downtown Disney.

TP2000

Thanks for reminding me. This is one million times better than the hotel idea being shoehorned between the DL hotel and downtown Disney.

That's the part of this that is legitimately exciting and smart.

Not wasting those surface parking lots on 4 Diamond Hotels, but instead turning them into very large expansion pads for the two existing theme parks is brilliant. Yes, it's the stuff of armchair Imagineering on fan forums like this, but to see Burbank and TDA execs actually embrace it and formalize it into planning documents is a huge change.

Michael Colglazier didn't have the brain capacity to think that big, or that far out. But Josh Damaro obviously does.

Which is probably why the younger Josh got the big promotion that leapfrogged over Colglazier, which led Colglazier to leave Disney in a snobby huff for Virgin Galactic to work on not turning paying customers into charcoal briquets upon planet re-entry. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom