News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

mickEblu

Don't worry. It's actually quite a ways west of there before a themed bridge would appear. If anything, this will force them to expand New Orleans Square beyond the berm quite a bit before you even get to the bridge.

To help allay your fears, I have used my expert graphic design skills to create a map showing how much space there actually is here, and how much room you need to work through to get to the actual bridge over Disneyland Drive.

The Disneyland Railroad is lined in blue. The existing New Orleans Square as we experience it (Pirates, the retail/dining complex, Mansion, small plaza in front of Railroad station) is outlined in red. The expansion potential is hashmarked in red beyond the berm. Then the new bridge leading to the expansion pad is outlined and arrowed in vibrant gold.

View attachment 542434

Hahah Thank you, this helps. I didn’t think the bridge was literally on the door step of the DLRR but just the thought of demoing that area is scary and makes me feel that it could potentially completely lose the feel/ charm that exists there today. I really think it will connect from Critter Country though as I just mentioned in my last post.

TP2000

The more I think about it, it has to be Critter Country. I’ve always loved the quaint feel of Critter Country too but it’s definitely the lesser of two evils especially considering Splash will most likely ve gone anyway. It just makes sense for it to be Critter Country for the simple fact they don’t have to reroute or do anything with the DLRR. The problem is already solved in Critter Country as we go under the tracks. All they have to do is remove the Pooh store or maybe even relocate it somewhere along the new path.

I used a coffee bean soaked bourbon in my Whiskey Sour nightcap, so let's put my caffeine buzz to work and do this for Critter Country too!

I've outlined Critter Country in purple and hashmarked the expansion space beyond the Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash, Presented by Ziploc ride building. As you can see, the way the triangle shaped park works, 1989's Critter Country is much closer to Disneyland Drive than 1966's New Orleans Square is. So there is far less space to work with in expanding Critter Country to get to a themed bridge to cross Disneyland Drive to the expansion pad.

It might be best to assume the Burbank and TDA executives of 2030 are competent and smart enough to know they must invest big into this project, and thus we get an expanded and plussed up New Orleans Square instead of merely 50 yards of landscaped walkway behind Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash, Presented by Ziploc.

InkedInkedAerialDisneyland7_LI.jpg

mickEblu

I used a coffee bean soaked bourbon in my Whiskey Sour nightcap, so let's put my caffeine buzz to work and do this for Critter Country too!

I've outline Critter Country in purple and hashmarked the expansion space beyond the Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash, Presented by Ziploc ride building. As you can see, the way the triangle shaped park works, 1989's Critter Country is much closer to Disneyland Drive than 1966's New Orleans Square is. So there is far less space to work with in expanding Critter Country to get to a themed bridge to cross Disneyland Drive to the expansion pad.

It might be best to assume the Burbank and TDA executives of 2030 are competent and smart enough to know they must invest big into this project, and thus we get an expanded and plussed up New Orleans Square instead of merely 50 yards of landscaped walkway behind Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash, Presented by Ziploc.

View attachment 542436

Lol. I’m loving the visual and commentary but I’m sorry TP I still have to vote for the 50 yards behind Critter Country.

mlayton144

Everyone hopes for a large expansion of themed lands and attractions , once the bean counters get their pencils sharpened what will result is one large Disney Springs west-coast version

britain

Everyone hopes for a large expansion of themed lands and attractions , once the bean counters get their pencils sharpened what will result is one large Disney Springs west-coast version

It’s good to temper expectations, but remember the whole reason they are being public about this is that they ALREADY have the rights to turn those parking lots into shopping. They WANT Anaheim to grant the rights to turn those areas into theme park attractions. This is what they are explicitly saying in their own press.

mlayton144

It’s good to temper expectations, but remember the whole reason they are being public about this is that they ALREADY have the rights to turn those parking lots into shopping. They WANT Anaheim to grant the rights to turn those areas into theme park attractions. This is what they are explicitly saying in their own press.

was said tongue in cheek , but good info thanks

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The thing is that under their deal with the city they could build that today, without any need to go get permission. They need permission to build more park there.

The fact that they’re doing this means they have SOMETHING in mind for that space that is park focused.

lazyboy97o

They want to be exempt from development review so they can do whatever they want pretty much wherever they want. That area is most the Hotel District, so retail is accessory. They’re including the theme parks because that is the sex appeal that gets the reaction they want of “we should let them do this”.

lazyboy97o

The thing is that under their deal with the city they could build that today, without any need to go get permission. They need permission to build more park there.

The fact that they’re doing this means they have SOMETHING in mind for that space that is park focused.
No they do not. The area is the Hotel District and even the new DVC tower required development approval.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
No they do not. The area is the Hotel District and even the new DVC tower required development approval.
The DVC tower required approval because it needed a variance for exceeding the limit on timeshares set forth in the DRSP. While obviously the the city reviews permitting and other issues to ensure compliance with code and the DRSP, generally speaking a Disney hotel project in the Hotel district would not require the level of review that the DVC tower got.

The other hotel failed because disney demanded tax breaks.

the.dreamfinder

A few other Deep Thoughts as I finish my nightcap during the last rain of the winter...

• Notice how Downtown Disney's footprint shrinks permanently in this new plan? They apparently aren't worrying about redeveloping the "west end" of Downtown Disney any longer. The AMC Theaters, ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe, Starbucks #82584, etc. is all being left to sit empty until it's time to turn it into Wakandaland or Frozenland or whatever. The death of the American Mall is truly upon us.
  • The folks at Anaheim's PR firm are obviously reading the memos. The park expansion is labeled "Immersive Theme Park". That's actually not a bad name for a park. It cuts out the middle man and saves on printing costs when new stuff opens. Just brand every Disney theme park "Immersive Theme Park" and be done with it! 🤣
  • Suddenly the Eastern Gateway has become "Possible New Parking". Emphasis on the "Possible". I imagine Burbank and TDA are still trying to figure out just how much the world really has changed in the last 12 months. Is the future really a world without many AP's? Where locals Uber? Where hotels flourish and expand? Where more parking is not needed like it was in 2015?

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F03%2Fdisney-california-park-expansion-disneyland-forward-announcement-002.jpg
Let us know when you have drinks with the “neighbor lady” again.

lazyboy97o

The DVC tower required approval because it needed a variance for exceeding the limit on timeshares set forth in the DRSP. While obviously the the city reviews permitting and other issues to ensure compliance with code and the DRSP, generally speaking a Disney hotel project in the Hotel district would not require the level of review that the DVC tower got.

The other hotel failed because disney demanded tax breaks.
They needed approval because the current plans have some very specific approvals but also some very specific limitations. That is the larger framework they want relaxed. They want carte blanche to do what they want where they want.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It should be noted that the artist concept doesn't really match the overhead map of the newly developed area. The overhead map has plopped into it a Wakanda mini-land, Pandora, and a ride going in and out of a snow covered mountain. The artist concept doesn't show any of that. The artist concept does show that the new development will be infested with a plague of glowing pixies.... so, we got that to look forward to.

J2B

Well, gang, it's already that part of the thread where I have to ask...

I assume there are YouTube videos going up where breathless bloggers in their home command centers are releasing videos scrutinizing every little detail of this artwork? And then blabbering excitedly about what it could all mean, and how the waterfall on this fake volcano looks just like that one waterfall from Moana and so Moana E Ticket Water Thrill Ride is CONFIRMED! for Anaheim?

I can't look. And it's too early for a cocktail to bolster my nerves. Someone else go do it. Go to the YouTube and find the bloggers already obsessing over this artwork and expansion concept and report back here, please. 🧐
Fresh BAkeD! Spent an hour listening to his super-money-grab-super-chat.... that was my take away from his Disney Forward update.

disneyC97

Who knows really? It's all very vague, because it's not an actual development plan, but just a marketing image.

As far as the existing Disneyland, there's really only two options to get this walkway out to a bridge structure over Disneyland Drive;
1. South of the Haunted Mansion and north of Pirates, along the current backside of New Orleans Square.
2. The backside of Critter Country, between the ride warehouses for Winnie The Pooh and Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash.

Either way, big changes are coming to New Orleans Square or Critter Country. You could even see them being able to expand New Orleans Square a bit beyond the existing berm to get to a bridge. If they do this right, and avoid cheap budgets and off-center windows, this could be a chance to expand and plus up New Orleans Square on the scale of a "Who Woulda Thunk It?!". This could be a great thing!

Or, by the time they get around to doing this a decade from now, the executives will have all changed and they'll go DCA 2001 cheap on this and it will totally suck and be a giant disaster.

Who knows? Anything is possible at Disneyland! 🤣

Yes. If this actually happens as it's shown, Disneyland will be the most massively developed and intricately stitched together Disney park in the world by a long shot. I can't think of a more fitting way for Disneyland to celebrate it's 75th birthday than that. :)
“Tiana's Bayou Bash N' Splash”
Thank you for the literal LOL this morning. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom