News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

SteamboatJoe

Sort of funny how none of the conceptual themes for the DCA expansion have nothing remotely to do with California but I suppose that ship sailed when Tower of Terror was removed. Bugs Land and Cars Land were at least able to make somewhat of thematic argument for belonging.

jaxonp

Sort of funny how none of the conceptual themes for the DCA expansion have nothing remotely to do with California but I suppose that ship sailed when Tower of Terror was removed. Bugs Land and Cars Land were able to make somewhat of thematic argument for belonging.

Is the park not just another Studios park at this point? And well, whatever that means these days.

jaxonp

Then they learned the wrong lesson. This country is dotted with the hollowed out remains of one company towns. Anaheim needs to diversify, not throw more eggs into the basket.

Sure go ahead with that, but in the meantime, 60 years of infrustructure in Hotels, Restaurants and Theme parks have dominated a land locked area. Knowing that information, what would you do if the hand that feeds your city says, we want to expand?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Then they learned the wrong lesson. This country is dotted with the hollowed out remains of one company towns. Anaheim needs to diversify, not throw more eggs into the basket.
There’s a big difference between the ability of Rubbermaid, which had 3 buildings and maybe $30 million in physical infrastructure in Wooster Ohio, to move to Atlanta, and the ability of Disneyland, which has perhaps $4 billion in infrastructure tied up in Anaheim, to up and move to New Mexico.

lazyboy97o

Sure go ahead with that, but in the meantime, 60 years of infrustructure in Hotels, Restaurants and Theme parks have dominated a land locked area. Knowing that information, what would you do if the hand that feeds your city says, we want to expand?
Maybe remember the past? Disney’s California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park, Hong Kong Disneyland... Disney has a history of seeking concessions and then not delivering on what was promised.
There’s a big difference between the ability of Rubbermaid, which had 3 buildings and maybe $30 million in physical infrastructure in Wooster Ohio, to move to Atlanta, and the ability of Disneyland, which has perhaps $4 billion in infrastructure tied up in Anaheim, to up and move to New Mexico.
It doesn’t have to be something like Disneyland being moved. The parks just being closed or depressed visitation for an extended period is a problem.

PostScott

Wait, so basically they're just building bridges to the DTD area for more attractions and stuff? I'm all in for it but I'm less excited since it'll just be clones. They should first be expanding upon the lands within the parks that need work first before they consider expanding the park perimeter. I love expansions but they really just need to focus on what they have already. Tomorrowland, fantasyland, galaxys edge, Hollywood land, etc.

SteamboatJoe

Wait, so basically they're just building bridges to the DTD area for more attractions and stuff? I'm all in for it but I'm less excited since it'll just be clones. They should first be expanding upon the lands within the parks that need work first before they consider expanding the park perimeter. I love expansions but they really just need to focus on what they have already. Tomorrowland, fantasyland, galaxys edge, Hollywood land, etc.
This doesn't necessarily preclude stuff like that. Not saying they will happen either though. This plan could take them a decade or two actually execute. There will be a lot more movies that will come out between now and then. If Zootopia isn't relevant in 10 years, maybe it becomes whatever the hot IP is in 2030......or it all goes the way of WestCOT and Disney's America.....or even worse you another opening day DCA or Walt Disney Studios Paris.

Travel Junkie

Who the heck said that? And how did I miss it?

Maybe six months ago a couple posters floated the idea. I'll have to see if I can find them. I even responded and asked if they were serious. They were and laid out that moving the rides to Texas was not as expensive as people though and Disney would make more money long term because of Texas tax incentives.

While not even in the same zip code as that, I will say that a lot of people including yourself were pessimistic about Disney's future investment in Anaheim due to "overbearing California politics." That obviously isn't the case.

The future of Disney in Anaheim looks bright...at least in the way of dollars spent. What actually is built, maybe not so much. Hopefully those are copy and paste placeholders, however I'm pessimistic on that front. WDI was gutted in terms of talent. Clones of already designed attractions feels inevitable.

SteamboatJoe

Maybe six months ago a couple posters floated the idea. I'll have to see if I can find them. I even responded and asked if they were serious. They were and laid out that moving the rides to Texas was not as expensive as people though and Disney would make more money long term because of Texas tax incentives.

While not even in the same zip code as that, I will say that a lot of people including yourself were pessimistic about Disney's future investment in Anaheim due to "overbearing California politics." That obviously isn't the case.

The future of Disney in Anaheim looks bright...at least in the way of dollars spent. What actually is built, maybe not so much. Hopefully those are copy and paste placeholders, however I'm pessimistic on that front. WDI was gutted in terms of talent. Clones of already designed attractions feels inevitable.
But is there evidence that California and Anaheim specifically are actually supportive yet?

Tamandua

So basically, they don't know what they want to do or if they want to actually do anything, but the city is desperate enough to approve anything right now so better to get a rubber stamp on any possible plans now before things go back to normal and the city starts to change their views on Disney again.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Looks cramped and not well thought out. I can already see this along side other Disney projects that were never built.

SteamboatJoe

So basically, they don't know what they want to do or if they want to actually do anything, but the city is desperate enough to approve anything right now so better to get a rubber stamp on any possible plans now before things go back to normal and the city starts to change their views on Disney again.
As someone whose career is related to the development field.....this is often how it goes. Many developers don't green light the cost of putting any serious thought or designs into a plan unless they can get the general concept the preliminary approvals needed first. Get enough approvals in place to prevent future denials and then value engineer the heck out of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom