News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

TrainsOfDisney

As long as the CM has a positive attitude and their appearance is clean and not unkempt then I personally do not have issues with tattoos or piercings or hairstyles. One of the most well known imagineers had some pretty rad earings.
I’ve met several imagineers who have piercings and extreme hair styles. I’m sure many animators and film directors do as well.

They are not guest-facing roles at a “premium” destination though.

Disney CM’s can have tattoos, they just can’t be visible while on the job. That’s a simple enough request as is extreme hair styles. There is probably some room to relax the rules on piercings a bit imho.

dreday3

I love the hair for women - neatly combed and arranged. I have awesome curly, longish, full of volume hair - I can't comb it! It needs to be free! 😂

CosmicRays

I’ve met several imagineers who have piercings and extreme hair styles. I’m sure many animators and film directors do as well.

They are not guest-facing roles at a “premium” destination though.

Disney CM’s can have tattoos, they just can’t be visible while on the job. That’s a simple enough request as is extreme hair styles. There is probably some room to relax the rules on piercings a bit imho.
That is true. Of course everyone has a different idea of what "professionalism" looks like, but for Disney its probably easier and more encompassing to have stricter dress codes. The people who do not notice or pay attention would never complain in the first place, but the people who would notice could take their money elsewhere. I am sure its how most businesses operate.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I think they’re going to do away with having separate wardrobes styles for male and female CMs.
I was thinking that too but I really don’t see the budget available for that. Almost every costume is gender based. The current policy seems to be you can wear either gender costume as long as you wear it properly, ie no mixing and matching pieces together, and follow the grooming guidelines for said gender.

i think it probably will be relaxing hair rules for certain hair types, we shall see, I still don’t think we’re at any hair color you want/tattoos

MrHorse

Non form fitting, neutral colored jump suits / coveralls OK.
Why?
You don't need to change the costumes at all if you don't want to.
You just take all the references to gender out of the handbook.

The 'grey jumpsuits' look isn't gender-neutral. It's just picking a costume that happens to fit within both of the established gender roles.

wdwfan22

Hot topic?

I can't believe people still think tattoos aren't common at this point. Again, how is the cast member's nose piercing at Thunder Mountain going to affect your enjoyment of the ride?

Or the girl who uses beads in her hair? Or has a hot pink braid interwoven in her hair?
Because when you are hired you represent the brand. The brand Disney is crisp, clean professional looking, and despite what you think appearance is a reflection of the brand. Pink hair, tattoos and nose piercing isn't something you should see representing a Disney park.

dreday3

Because when you are hired you represent the brand. The brand Disney is crisp, clean professional looking, and despite what you think appearance is a reflection of the brand. Pink hair, tattoos and nose piercing isn't something you should see representing a Disney park.

Phrases such as "no use of beads in hair" or "no unnatural hair colors" can be seen as discriminatory. What isn't clean or professional looking about a woman who has beads as part of her hairstyle?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Phrases such as "no use of beads in hair" or "no unnatural hair colors" can be seen as discriminatory. What isn't clean or professional looking about a woman who has beads as part of her hairstyl
Really. So a hairstyle of one's culture/race shouldn't be allowed because some people don't find it to be "crisp" or "clean"?
I think if the hair is still a natural color (doesn’t mean it has to be your natural color, just A natural color) and the beads match that color, it shouldn’t be a problem

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is the only acceptable, neutral, uniform for CMs...
1616102103481.png

This way, they can be green-screened out of photos.

.​

Stupido

As a society, I think we put way too much emphasis on what someone else looks like. Sometimes I'll be watching the television with older members of my family, and they'll have no problem picking apart someones hairstyle, outfit, or lipstick color. It's so absolutely ridiculous to me that people feel like they have the right to pass judgment on someone's physical appearance. How someone else looks is frankly none of your business, and people are wild if they think someone needs to look a certain way in order to be viewed as "professional."

If this is happening, I really would love to see Disney opening the door for more natural hairstyles. I'd love to see the gender divide lessened to, with men being able to paint their nails (natural colors, of course) as well. It seems like Disney is trying to update their company culture to today's standards, so it'll be interesting to see how far they push this.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom