News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Everyone told me that when I was growing up.
"How are you gonna be able to get a job with that ink?"
"You can't have facial piercings at a REAL job."
"No one is gonna hire someone with giant holes in their ears."

I thought they were all full of it.
All I had to do was be good at what I did and it would all work out.
Who wouldn't want to just hire the best person they could find?
At the end of the day, it's all about skills...
Right?!?!

Then I went out to actually get a job...

I put in some resumes, did some interviews. And it turned out... I was right. I'm happier and I make more money than any of them ever did.
Tell it to the world, my friend.

If you're only going to be out of a job at Disney and Chick-Fil-A, then who really cares?

Disney Analyst

Well, if that graphic of the updated keys is accurate, it seems 'Inclusion' is now ahead of 'Show'.

So in regards to the Disney Look, I am going to again assume it's about including looks that are not really covered, and allowing for more leeway.

Definitely a step forward on the inclusion front. And I bet it won't actually take away from the show in any way, as some seem to be insinuating.

TrainsOfDisney

Actually, one of my biggest personal complaints is the fact that not all costumes DO offer shorts options (for ex. the POTC merch and attractions costumes, which require wool pants and knee-high socks), forcing CMs to work outdoors in extreme heat and humidity. The Safety key is supposedly above Show, so this has never made sense to me at all.
How is it dangerous to work outside with long pants on?

Interesting reading through the pdf- for males "A non-shaven stubble beard is not acceptable." Always wonder how you get to a beard and skip the stubble stage. 🤔
You don’t. If you get hired with a beard that meets Disney’s guide that’s fine. (In theory):

Just putting it out there, I believe the ‘Disney Look’ is mostly illegal to enforce in France thus you’ll see all sorts of tattoos and hair colours on cast members at Disneyland Paris.

I personally notice seeing a tattoo on a cast member, but whether this is because I know I’m not supposed to see that as a guest or if it actually bothers me is difficult to answer.
If you want to see tattoos and piercings on property stop by the Starbucks at Disney Springs - they are official Starbucks stores so they have the Starbucks appearance standards.

Same applies for Salt & Straw ice cream at downtown Disney in California.

wdrive

Well, if that graphic of the updated keys is accurate, it seems 'Inclusion' is now ahead of 'Show'.

So in regards to the Disney Look, I am going to again assume it's about including looks that are not really covered, and allowing for more leeway.

Definitely a step forward on the inclusion front. And I bet it won't actually take away from the show in any way, as some seem to be insinuating.

Inclusion is apparently an overarching key and isn’t supposed to slot in as the others do

dreday3

This is not a problem and is currently allowed. Provided the cm is wearing socks, pants, etc. that cover it.

I'm talking more than that at this point. If that's all you are getting when you are reading my posts, fully, then there's nothing I can say to you that will explain it in more detail.

Disney is right to be considering updates.

lazyboy97o

Oh no, I do think it it matters. I think taking someone's cultural identity - hair, hair wraps, turbans, tattoos, whatever it is - is extremely important when Disney is considering "appearance" guidelines.

Crisp and clean does not always mean (what some people consider) just "clean-cut American"(whatever that means).

There are thousands of CMs that don't need to be "themed" to an experience. Give me a break.

"• Conservative braided hairstyles without beads or ornamentation are permitted." - hmmm, what is this addressing?
So we’re right back at the position that there should be no costumes. That they are not part of the experience.

wdrive

What about my position on the matter are you confused about?

But it opens up a can of worms.
What about the cast member with the Harry Potter tattoo on their wrist?
What about the cast member with a gun tattooed on their forearm?
How do you tell the cast member with the ankle tattoo it’s okay but their colleague standing next to them has to cover their gun tattoo?

dreday3

I can't quote you - but if you've actually read my posts, it's about much more than tattoos. I'm not reposting everything I said again for you.

I get it, some you seem to be uncomfortable with the African American woman that wears colored beads in her braids, or the Sikh that wears a turban, or a Muslim that wears a hijab because it will take you out of your "theme" while getting some popcorn.

Laugh away at my post, it's a free country. :) Actually, I don't think Disney does discriminate against Hijabs or turbans for religious reasons and that's great!

Last edited:

wdrive

I can't quote you - but if you've actually read my posts, it's about much more than tattoos. I'm not reposting everything I said again for you.

I get it, some you seem to be uncomfortable with the African American woman that wears colored beads in her braids, or the Sikh that wears a turban, or a Muslim that wears a hijab because it will take you out of your "theme" while getting some popcorn.

Laugh away at my post, it's a free country. :)

But you mentioned tattoos and I’ve asked about that and you can’t answer me.

Personally I don’t have a problem with them changing the look regarding hairstyles or religious wear. Hence why I didn’t ask about that.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
On the surface I get the tattoo logic. Disney wants a certain "look" to those representing the company that is considered at the very least tasteful. But it's really subjective on what constitutes an "acceptable" tattoo.

But here's my problem. No consistency.

While employed by Disney, you may have a visible tattoo because you make me money at the box office and through various merchandise tie-ins.
1616107437727.png

You on the other hand, fresh out of college and living with three roommates to make ends meet.....may not have a visible tattoo.

1616107518831.png

You, who make me money and help sell my merchandise (including those funny little hats) - you may have a visible tattoo.

1616107585480.png

You - who have been a model employee and hard worker in your many years with the company - you may not.

1616107649148.png

And don't give me the "Well, they're movie stars" - "they're not in the parks". Because they are representing Disney through the press, media, and personal appearances. Most people that know who they are - are readily buying up their Disney merchandise in the parks and are well aware that they sport a tattoo (in a lot of cases - several of them)

EPICOT

On the surface I get the tattoo logic. Disney wants a certain "look" to those representing the company that is considered at the very least tasteful. But it's really subjective on what constitutes an "acceptable" tattoo.

But here's my problem. No consistency.

While employed by Disney, you may have a visible tattoo because you make me money at the box office and through various merchandise tie-ins.
View attachment 540480

You on the other hand, fresh out of college and living with three roommates to make ends meet.....may not have a visible tattoo.

View attachment 540481

You, who make me money and help sell my merchandise (including those funny little hats) - you may have a visible tattoo.

View attachment 540482

You - who have been a model employee and hard worker in your many years with the company - you may not.

View attachment 540483

And don't give me the "Well, they're movie stars" - "they're not in the parks". Because they are representing Disney through the press, media, and personal appearances. Most people that know who they are - are readily buying up their Disney merchandise in the parks and are well aware that they sport a tattoo (in a lot of cases - several of them)
Different roles in any company require different presentation styles. Should everyone dress like Bob Iger since he represents the company?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Why shouldn’t Snow White have a full sleeve?
I believe characters are actors. That is very different. Much like performing on a stage. And, in that case, the actress can put makeup on to cover it up.

Comparing an actress playing Snow White to the person cleaning up toddler crap in the handicap stall for appearance is quite a drastic difference.

(No one is telling the stage manager how to style their hair for a show. They just have to wear all black.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom