News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

trainplane3

PHOTOS - How crews reach the top of the Harmonious icon barge​

HarmonioUS_Full_41152.jpg
Looks like they covered part of the arms too. Bottom right area of the ring, the arm behind it looks like it has mesh on it?
HarmonioUS_Full_41154.jpg

Sir_Cliff

I'm partially with you on this. I think the "it blocks views across the lagoon" complain to me is kinda meh. I never really thought it was important to see the pavilions across the way and never have spent time doing such.

My bigger issue is the ugliness of the stuff there (and I doubt the fountains will help much). If they had put a large tree filled island that was pretty in the middle and it blocked the views, I'd be cool with it.
I see it as akin to an alternate universe in which Fantasmic involved a bunch of similar barges permanently moored in Disneyland's Rivers of America.

Sure, it wouldn't result in the blocking of any awe-inspiring views and I'm sure most people wouldn't have consciously paid much attention to the views across the river before they were installed. Just having exposed show equipment sitting permanently and prominantly on stage, though, would completely undermine the whole idea that there was an "on stage" and thus what they have been telling us is different about Disney theme parks since the very beginning.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I see it as akin to an alternate universe in which Fantasmic involved a bunch of similar barges permanently moored in Disneyland's Rivers of America.

Sure, it wouldn't result in the blocking of any awe-inspiring views and I'm sure most people wouldn't have consciously paid much attention to the views across the river before they were installed. Just having exposed show equipment sitting permanently and prominantly on stage, though, would completely undermine the whole idea that there was an "on stage" and thus what they have been telling us is different about Disney theme parks since the very beginning.
Actually I wish Fantasmic wasn’t even there. I miss riding the Mark Twain at night. So sublime!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

What gets me is not only the sight line of these hideous barges but the functionality. Can anyone justify use for permanent LED screens for a nighttime show. COME ON this has got to be a joke. Then you have these arms that come out for lighting effects and a ring for water images. What the heck are they thinking. The views around the lake are going to be compromised just for getting in their own way. If they can have 8 arms for lighting can’t they go the extra mile and have the stupid ring break into 2 pieces during the day. Even better, why dontThey have 2 arms on the barges one for a water screen instead of the LED’s there’s so many ways around this monstrosity this is literally the dumbest idea Disney has ever had. They couldn’t even keep up the Fountian of Nations and now they have this monstrosity? Does this show even have a Sponsor? Maybe it’s a billboard company sponsoring the show. Maybe this is a billboard exhibit.

LorangeJuice

What gets me is not only the sight line of these hideous barges but the functionality. Can anyone justify use for permanent LED screens for a nighttime show. COME ON this has got to be a joke. Then you have these arms that come out for lighting effects and a ring for water images. What the heck are they thinking. The views around the lake are going to be compromised just for getting in their own way. If they can have 8 arms for lighting can’t they go the extra mile and have the stupid ring break into 2 pieces during the day. Even better, why dontThey have 2 arms on the barges one for a water screen instead of the LED’s there’s so many ways around this monstrosity this is literally the dumbest idea Disney has ever had. They couldn’t even keep up the Fountian of Nations and now they have this monstrosity? Does this show even have a Sponsor? Maybe it’s a billboard company sponsoring the show. Maybe this is a billboard exhibit.
Oh, it gets better. Check out some of the recent youtube videos of different angles around WS Lagoon. In some of the areas where you could get a decent angle to see the ring even thought it's not head on, I think it's somewhere in the Canada area, one of the taco barges blocks it completely, and it's the end of the taco looking into it where the arms are tucked; not the taco shell where the display is, so you literally see nothing except for maybe whatever pyro is planned! There's 2 more tacos coming! Between the arms, tacos, restaurants, America Gardens Theater, etc., I really think there might be a whopping 25% of WS that gets an unobstructed view of the ring and a taco or two. And I'm not even trying to hate right now.

MrPromey

For some reason I read that whole thing in the voice of Gordon Ramsay. 🤷‍♂️

rreading

It really is insane. Projection technology is good enough that simply raising screens should have served as a fine backdrop rather than these monster tacos. It works great on Cinderella’s castle - why shouldn’t it here?

But I suppose they’re projecting water in front of the screens.

@marni1971 - could it be feasible to place tracks in the canal and have the pieces pulled along a rail?

Plutoboy86

They have been switching a lot of their go to brands for outside use to the Proteus. They also recently swapped over both of their Disneyland resort parades routes to LED pars (SL Punchlite 220s) from the decaying Thomas Engineering Pars. They seem to be going more IP65 rated instead of using enclosures.

Plutoboy86

Also. Not sure if anyone noticed in the video of the icon platform being brought out that Disney posted, but these barges are not drivable. They are pushed by tugs. So moving them nightly would not be feasible. Also I’m going to take a wild guess here, but do to the onboard show action, lighting, and fountain equipment, power consumption is quite large. Considering this, the size of genny needed on board would be the size of the barge. So my guess is power, data and water lines come up into the mooring docks they are attached to. The chains seems to be guides to keep the platforms from moving positions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom