ESPN Club Done For Good?

Club Cooloholic

Maybe coming down is referencing the things on the building? It was one of my favorite places 15 or 20 years ago. But the prices have skyrocketed and the food has gotten much worse. I've also never had worse service anywhere else in disney than here. Haven't been back in 4 or 5 years when I had my worst experience.

All that said, they need a sports bar on property so I'd be surprised if this is true.
That pretty much describes every bar, restaurant, lounge and food cart/kiosk in WDW. It's amazing the prices that have been jacked up for a pretzel and beer.

Club Cooloholic

There is a definite need for this type of restaurant on property. The problem with the Boardwalk is the parking situation. If you coming from somewhere else the parking is dicey at best. Just kinda a pain to get too. Truthfully I would love to see a quick service food location similar to Riverside or Art of Animation go in that space and it could service Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach as the quick service location. The lack of a quality QS location has always been a problem at these resorts.
My hope was once the skyliner opened it would pull guests that were coming from non boardwalk resorts over. Ones that don't want to go to Epcot because they aren't hopping that day to just don't feel like trekking all around it, but want to get off their resort and try some new places. I think the Boardwalk could still be marketed that way to those resorts, but not in the state it is currently.

UNCgolf

My hope was once the skyliner opened it would pull guests that were coming from non boardwalk resorts over. Ones that don't want to go to Epcot because they aren't hopping that day to just don't feel like trekking all around it, but want to get off their resort and try some new places. I think the Boardwalk could still be marketed that way to those resorts, but not in the state it is currently.

That's only possible from Caribbean Beach, Art of Animation, Pop Century, and the Riviera, though. Anyone else would have to get on a bus from their resort to DHS and then get on the Skyliner from there. It would be easier to just get a Lyft.

Club Cooloholic

That's only possible from Caribbean Beach, Art of Animation, Pop Century, and the Riviera, though. Anyone else would have to get on a bus from their resort to DHS and then get on the Skyliner from there. It would be easier to just get a Lyft.
Yeah, I don't expect people at the Poly to go there, but if you are at the Pop, I think you would enjoy the options.

LSLS

That pretty much describes every bar, restaurant, lounge and food cart/kiosk in WDW. It's amazing the prices that have been jacked up for a pretzel and beer.
True, but I really noticed it here (probably cause I always thought it was a decent deal). Like, I got like 6 tenders and fries for $7-10 back in the day. Last time I went, it was $18, only had 2 fingers, and they were smaller. And the service, yikes.

Club Cooloholic

True, but I really noticed it here (probably cause I always thought it was a decent deal). Like, I got like 6 tenders and fries for $7-10 back in the day. Last time I went, it was $18, only had 2 fingers, and they were smaller. And the service, yikes.
Worst bartender I ever had was at the Abracadabra Bar on the Boardwalk, so maybe it's something in the fake salt air lol.

LSLS

Worst bartender I ever had was at the Abracadabra Bar on the Boardwalk, so maybe it's something in the fake salt air lol.
Espn, we were 1 of 5 tables. Took them 10 minutes to change on a hockey game for us. Once done eating, we sat for 50 minutes. No refills (keep in mind we were having beers, so refills make more money), no acknowledgement. Actually went and asked a bartender to find our waiter which he didn't. Guy comes over, half apologizes and explains he actually found a couple from Chicago and was sitting there talking to them. Again, like 9 at night on a Monday. I was SO mad. Left a 23 cent tip and haven't been back since.

UNCgolf

Yeah, I don't expect people at the Poly to go there, but if you are at the Pop, I think you would enjoy the options.

I like the Boardwalk. Our last two trips we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, but still went to the Boardwalk at least once. It's nice to just leave EPCOT and walk over there to eat -- Flying Fish is a better restaurant than anything at EPCOT and one of the best restaurants on WDW property, or at least it was the last time we ate there. It was also fun to watch lluminations and then grab a late night pizza at the Boardwalk pizza window before heading to Jellyrolls.

Who knows how different things will be after Covid, though. Going to Beaches & Cream used to be fun too, but they torpedoed any interest in that with the recent renovation.

Maelstrom Troll

There is a definite need for this type of restaurant on property. The problem with the Boardwalk is the parking situation. If you coming from somewhere else the parking is dicey at best. Just kinda a pain to get too. Truthfully I would love to see a quick service food location similar to Riverside or Art of Animation go in that space and it could service Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach as the quick service location. The lack of a quality QS location has always been a problem at these resorts.
I agree. Since the parks closed early on our last trip we ended up eating a lot of Yacht Club pretzel sandwiches, grilled cheese, and paninis. All good but a variety would have been appreciated.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
IMHO the biggest issue I think the area has is it too geared for the conventioneers. Jellyrolls, ACDH, serve no purpose other than to cater to that type of crowd and exist to be rented for an evening. I also think that is part of the crowd that frequented ESPN Club.

I don’t ever remember hearing anyone ever say “We’re going to Jellyrolls tonight” - unless they were wearing a lanyard.

Thelazer

IMHO the biggest issue I think the area has is it too geared for the conventioneers. Jellyrolls, ACDH, serve no purpose other than to cater to that type of crowd and exist to be rented for an evening. I also think that is part of the crowd that frequented ESPN Club.

I don’t ever remember hearing anyone ever say “We’re going to Jellyrolls tonight” - unless they were wearing a lanyard.

Eh, college program and bacherlett partys.

UNCgolf

I don't think that's true about Jellyrolls.

First of all, it's a ton of fun and more people should go. Secondly, every time I've ever been in there it was relatively busy -- not packed, but a few dozen people at least -- and none of them were wearing lanyards or looked like they were there for a convention. Also, can you rent it out for the evening? I'm not sure that's even an option.

The Atlantic Dance Hall seems pointless, though. I tried to go in there once just to check it out, but it was almost completely empty and had a ridiculous cover charge that I wasn't willing to pay.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Cast members and other locals like Jellyrolls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom