ESPN Club Done For Good?

ryguy

I like the Boardwalk. Our last two trips we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, but still went to the Boardwalk at least once. It's nice to just leave EPCOT and walk over there to eat -- Flying Fish is a better restaurant than anything at EPCOT and one of the best restaurants on WDW property, or at least it was the last time we ate there. It was also fun to watch lluminations and then grab a late night pizza at the Boardwalk pizza window before heading to Jellyrolls.

Who knows how different things will be after Covid, though. Going to Beaches & Cream used to be fun too, but they torpedoed any interest in that with the recent renovation.
What about the Beaches and Cream renovation you don't like? I haven't been since the redo. I would think the extra space would be beneficial and make a better experience.

UNCgolf

What about the Beaches and Cream renovation you don't like? I haven't been since the redo. I would think the extra space would be beneficial and make a better experience.

They didn't just expand it. They completely overhauled the interior. Extra space would have been fine if they'd kept it themed like a 1950s diner/soda fountain, but they dumped that. It now looks like any random generic spot. The themed interior was the main reason to go; it's not like they served incredible food and I'm pretty sure the ice cream was the same product you could buy at a grocery store. It feels like completely misunderstood why it was popular in the first place. Here's a photo of what it looks like post-renovation:

Beaches-and-Cream_Full_36974.jpg

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

They didn't just expand it; they completely overhauled the interior. Extra space would have been fine if they'd kept it themed like a 1950s diner/soda fountain, but they dumped that. It now looks like a generic chain restaurant from the 90s. The themed interior was the main reason to go; it's not like they served incredible food and I'm pretty sure the ice cream was the same thing you could buy at a grocery store. I think they completely misunderstood why the place was popular in the first place. Here's a photo of what it looks like post-renovation:

View attachment 536357
Yeah, that isn't a place I am going out of my way to have a dessert and burger at.

JimW

Premium Member
Yeah, that isn't a place I am going out of my way to have a dessert and burger at.
We went there for the first time a few months ago, so it was post-renovation. The decor is pretty unremarkable, and frankly, so was the food. It wasn't bad, just kind of generic. The only thing that seems to set them apart on their ice cream is the portion size. I'll take quality over quantity any day... or even just a better ratio of quality to quantity.

Rosso11

IMHO the biggest issue I think the area has is it too geared for the conventioneers. Jellyrolls, ACDH, serve no purpose other than to cater to that type of crowd and exist to be rented for an evening. I also think that is part of the crowd that frequented ESPN Club.

I don’t ever remember hearing anyone ever say “We’re going to Jellyrolls tonight” - unless they were wearing a lanyard.
As far as Jellyrolls that’s definitely not the case. That’s a highlight for most regulars I know that go to Disney. I’m sure it might be a generational thing but for a decent amount of people it’s very much part of their Disney vacations. Again I’m sure the crowd I am referring to is not the prime target market being couples without children in their 20s-40s but it’s a bigger market than to just brush off as conventioneers. Not that Conventioneers are not a hugely profitable group for Disney but that’s a whole different discussion. Now ACDH I would agree with you. Jellyrolls absolutely not.

UNCgolf

I like the new B&C, it really needed an expansion and I could see without it being toned down a bit it might be a bit too much. I still feel like I’m at soda shop when I go, and is actually in my family’s top picks for when they vacation next.
Pre Reno photo for reference:
View attachment 536362

That's the problem with the expansion, though -- a lot people went there because it was small with 1950s kitsch. Making it bigger while getting rid of all that 1950s charm means it may not actually need the extra space. They're probably lucky that Ample Hills closed down to keep people from having a better option for ice cream on the Boardwalk.

I agree that they didn't need to just recreate the old look writ large (and that it may have looked bad if they'd done so), but I don't understand why they turned it into something modern. It no longer looks even remotely like anything from the 1950s. I've said it elsewhere, but it's like if they went into the 50s Prime Time Cafe or the Sci-Fi Diner, gutted the inside and just dropped in a bunch of generic tables and booths to increase capacity. The theming was a big part of the draw; turning it into something that looks like a random restaurant you might walk into in a strip mall is a design failure (it actually really reminds me of a convention center meeting room). As @JimW said above, it's now just unremarkable in essentially every way.

I don't mean to jump on you, by the way. I'm glad you like the new look! It really ruined B&C for me, though, and I doubt I'll ever go in there again. It exemplifies the mistakes Disney has been making with renovations/redesigns in recent years.

Last edited:

Lilofan

They didn't just expand it. They completely overhauled the interior. Extra space would have been fine if they'd kept it themed like a 1950s diner/soda fountain, but they dumped that. It now looks like any random generic spot. The themed interior was the main reason to go; it's not like they served incredible food and I'm pretty sure the ice cream was the same product you could buy at a grocery store. It feels like completely misunderstood why it was popular in the first place. Here's a photo of what it looks like post-renovation:

View attachment 536357
Is that tile or carpet regarding the rehab? If it is carpet that would be hard to clean with the place being an ice cream shop.

castlecake2.0

That's the problem with the expansion, though -- a lot people went there because it was small with 1950s kitsch. Making it bigger while getting rid of all that 1950s charm means it may not actually need the extra space. They're probably lucky that Ample Hills closed down to keep people from having a better option for ice cream on the Boardwalk.

I agree that they didn't need to just recreate the old look writ large (and that it may have looked bad if they'd done so), but I don't understand why they turned it into something modern. It no longer looks even remotely like anything from the 1950s. I've said it elsewhere, but it's like if they went into the 50s Prime Time Cafe or the Sci-Fi Diner, gutted the inside and just dropped in a bunch of generic tables and booths to increase capacity. The theming was a big part of the draw; turning it into something that looks like a random restaurant you might walk into in a strip mall is a design failure (it actually really reminds me of a convention center meeting room). As @JimW said above, it's now just unremarkable in essentially every way.

I don't mean to jump on you, by the way. I'm glad you like the new look! It really ruined B&C for me, though, and I doubt I'll ever go in there again. It exemplifies the mistakes Disney has been making with renovations/redesigns in recent years.
I totally see what you’re saying! I think it just depends on people’s tastes. Same with the new pop century rooms, I love them but I know a lot of people also hate them. I feel like this is the design trend right now, but I feel like the next round of refreshes the resorts go trough might go back to the more over the top designs from before, just like how fashion goes in cycles. Saying all that, they better not do anything like this to 50s prime time, the in park venues should always be over the top!

legwand77

View attachment 536357
Ugh, feels like a hotel conference room with colored chairs. That is terrible.

Lilofan

The new Beaches and Cream... actually has the look of the restaurants you might find on a real Jersey Shore Boardwalk:

View attachment 536495

View attachment 536496

Not that the Boardwalk resort necessarily needs to match reality.
That's one of the cool things about these places. The talented Disney Imagineers go to near and far away places to gain inspiration when designing these places from the ground up.

UNCgolf

The new Beaches and Cream... actually has the look of the restaurants you might find on a real Jersey Shore Boardwalk:

View attachment 536495

View attachment 536496

Not that the Boardwalk resort necessarily needs to match reality.

The Disney Boardwalk wasn't supposed to be reflecting a modern day boardwalk, though. It was supposed to be reflecting an early 20th century boardwalk (although they've basically punted on that theming almost everywhere there now beyond the building facades). Those restaurants you posted are just generic restaurants that don't have anything tying them to a boardwalk -- I could post pictures of restaurants that look like that from all over the US. Things at Disney shouldn't feel generic. Plus, Beaches & Cream isn't really on the Boardwalk anyways, although that's beside the point.

I don't know that the 50s diner/soda fountain theme ever totally made sense at its location at the Beach Club, but it was a fun theme that fit the menu items. Now there's really no theme to the location at all.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can get better ice cream at Publix. I can get better food at dozens of other places. Without the decor, what’s the draw?

The food was arguably “better” in the mid to late 90’s, when you could get soda shoppe food like a triple cheeseburger (or even the “Home Run” quadruple burger 😳).

Anywho... back to the ESPN Club: It would be a shame to lose it altogether.

drnilescrane

I like the new B&C, it really needed an expansion and I could see without it being toned down a bit it might be a bit too much. I still feel like I’m at soda shop when I go, and is actually in my family’s top picks for when they vacation next.
Pre Reno photo for reference:
View attachment 536362
So in fairness - and saying this as somebody who isn't enamored by the current interior - there's nothing authentic about this either. It was the same concept but viewed from a lens of late 1980s tastes, which meant extreme exaggeration and saturated colors. The update to the restaurant is the same but from the late 2010s - clean, minimalist and muted colors.

Unlike the theme parks none of the hotels are really meant to be transportive, but instead be nostalgic deconstructions of a different type of environment. It's perfectly fine to shove a contemporary sports bar onto the boardwalk because it's the type of business you'd expect in that environment, even if the interior was firmly 1996 (and still is) once you got inside.

I personally would rather they stay true to the architect's original visions, even if they update the facilities for more recent tastes and desires. I also wish they'd hire better quality hospitality design firms than constantly going back to the mediocre Las Vegas centric companies they hire today (*cough* Rivera Resort has more in common with the Park MGM than you'd expect *cough*). All of these hotels were built before Disney Development Company got forced into Imagineering and were much better for it.

UNCgolf

So in fairness - and saying this as somebody who isn't enamored by the current interior - there's nothing authentic about this either. It was the same concept but viewed from a lens of late 1980s tastes, which meant extreme exaggeration and saturated colors. The update to the restaurant is the same but from the late 2010s - clean, minimalist and muted colors.

The original absolutely wasn't authentic (I think I referenced that somewhere above) but it wasn't generic. It at least evoked the 1950s (even if it was only in skewed retro kitschy way that wasn't actually accurate) in a way the current design doesn't.

Not that the renovation absolutely needed to stick with a 50s theme, but having some kind of theme at all would be nice. The current version could go in almost any hotel anywhere and just feel like their standard restaurant. Most Disney resort restaurants do have a theme of some sort.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom