ESPN Club Done For Good?

Kkar

As far as Jellyrolls that’s definitely not the case. That’s a highlight for most regulars I know that go to Disney. I’m sure it might be a generational thing but for a decent amount of people it’s very much part of their Disney vacations. Again I’m sure the crowd I am referring to is not the prime target market being couples without children in their 20s-40s but it’s a bigger market than to just brush off as conventioneers. Not that Conventioneers are not a hugely profitable group for Disney but that’s a whole different discussion. Now ACDH I would agree with you. Jellyrolls absolutely not.
We would actually build an entire evening around the boardwalk on many of our visits: drinks at Bellevue Lounge, dinner at Yachtsman, a couple of hours at Jellyrolls and finish up the night at ACDH. Most of our visits, JR's was packed; ACDH could either be light or busy but never packed.

UNCgolf

And yet it's nearly impossible to just visit. I haven't been there in over a year, it's just such a hassle to just park there and the things open are always kinda odd. I guess the skyliner helps but only if you're coming from HS or the resorts.

ESPN Club should be better than it was. Their menu was overpriced even for Disney standards and the food was mediocre.

The best way to visit the Boardwalk is either to use Uber/Lyft or to do it after spending time at EPCOT so you can just walk there from the International Gateway.

UNCgolf

We would actually build an entire evening around the boardwalk on many of our visits: drinks at Bellevue Lounge, dinner at Yachtsman, a couple of hours at Jellyrolls and finish up the night at ACDH. Most of our visits, JR's was packed; ACDH could either be light or busy but never packed.

I love the Belle Vue Lounge. It's just perfect for the hotel/theme; both the indoor seating and the chairs outside on the porch. I wish there were more little places like that scattered around the resorts.

DisneyNittany

I love the Belle Vue Lounge. It's just perfect for the hotel/theme; both the indoor seating and the chairs outside on the porch. I wish there were more little places like that scattered around the resorts.

Both the Belle Vue and the Crew's Cup...had a project in Tampa and would often drive over to the Boardwalk for dinner and drinks with those two spots being must stops.

Last edited:

mgf

But the prices have skyrocketed and the food has gotten much worse. I've also never had worse service anywhere else in disney than here. Haven't been back in 4 or 5 years when I had my worst experience.

This deserves to be highlighted again. It has good brand synergy, fills a need for sports fans, should be packed, and yet is running into the ground. We went regularly for years. I skipped it for about 3-5. Went back during a conference visit and it was just plain awful. Expensive, slow, mediocre menu with mediocre presentation. And many of the unique food items -- like that massive hotdog - are gone.

mgf

I have conferenced at the S&D for several years. A vendor finally sprung to rent Jellyrolls out. Was my first time going and it was an absolute blast. It will be an adults-only must do from now on. Definitely a gem.

Since we are playing armchair BW Empire:

* More small venue clubs of different varieties: comedy, jazz, magic, a murder by the sea mystery dinner theater, etc. You could even have acts on rotation so a club was something different every night.

* High quality, late night QS-ish food options. (Disney is terrible at this one.) ESPN Club should be one of these places but isn't.

* Unique desert offerings that you can't get in the parks. What about a 21+ desert bar with all booze infused desert options.

* Some really solid "I partied a bit too much" take way options. Pizza by the slice is a good start but what about street tacos, hot subs, etc.

Master Gracey 5

We own DVC at the Boardwalk and while we've eaten nearly everywhere else including Big River a couple of times for lunch, we have never eaten at ESPN. While a place to watch games might be useful for some, I'd personally love to see a better QS option at the resort over night life/table service. Of course with the Dance Hall mostly non-existent, who's to say we can't have both?

JK, they'll probably be vacant until my contract runs out in 2042.

Bocabear

That whole resort area is under-served for food options...especially with the loss of Big River and ESPN...not that I liked either.
Late night dining and food options are practically non-existent.
Why is there nothing like the Kona Cafe with late hours in the EPCOT resorts area... 3 meals a day plus late night. an elevated Jersey Diner at the Boardwalk would fit theme, and to have a place on property that served Jersey Diner Fare would be a hit.
My last trip to Disney a few weeks ago found us hungry and not wanting a fancy dinner...staying at the boardwalk there are no options except the Pizza window....We ended up ordering a pizza that took literally 2.5 hours to get from the pickup window on the boardwalk.
Disneyland used to have a Monorail 50s diner that was very popular... Seems like they have the space and it would be a huge hit... and add a late night component...

Notes from Neverland

That whole resort area is under-served for food options...especially with the loss of Big River and ESPN...not that I liked either.
Why is there nothing like the Kona Cafe with late hours in the EPCOT resorts area... 3 meals a day plus late night. an elevated Jersey Diner at the Boardwalk would fit theme, and to have a place on property that served Jersey Diner Fare would be a hit.
My last trip to Disney a few weeks ago found us hungry and not wanting a fancy dinner...staying at the boardwalk there are no options except the Pizza window....We ended up ordering a pizza that took literally 2.5 hours to get from the pickup window on the boardwalk.
Disneyland used to have a Monorail 50s diner that was very popular... Seems like they have the space and it would be a huge hit... and add a late night component...
Not that I disagree with your overall point (I agree that dining options could be way better), but Big River has reopened.

Last edited:

aliceismad

2.5 hours for pizza is crazy!

I wonder if Disney figures people will just go eat at Epcot? I really don't understand.

michmousefan

I like the new B&C, it really needed an expansion and I could see without it being toned down a bit it might be a bit too much. I still feel like I’m at soda shop when I go, and is actually in my family’s top picks for when they vacation next.
Pre Reno photo for reference:
View attachment 536362
The most egregious design violation in the new B&C was replacing the themed ceiling with a cheap-looking standard drop-down Home Depot tile job.

optjay

I'd love it if they got rid of ESPN and Big River. They don't fit the Boardwalk's theming, and aren't good enough to make you go out of you're way for.

Perhaps La Nouba (themed to a carnival) or some boardwalk/carnival games would fit.
NO!
As a Boardwalk villas DVC member, and frequent visitor, we look forward to both these locations for meals on every trip.
actually cancelled our November trip because both were closed, leaving limited food on Boardwalk.

Rambozo

NO!
As a Boardwalk villas DVC member, and frequent visitor, we look forward to both these locations for meals on every trip.
actually cancelled our November trip because both were closed, leaving limited food on Boardwalk.

Perhaps a new and simple overlay of the current restaurants Espn Club (an old time baseball theming) and Big River (bootleg theming) would suffice.

Bocabear

I think both of those restaurants were always completely subpar. Tried them both multiple times when we just wanted to eat something and found them bot lacking. I understand not wanting to stay at the villas because no food options are open, but they can do WAY better than these two horrible restaurants.
The Baseball themed restaurant they already have in the Magic Kingdom... Casey's.
What could be a better inspiration and source material than the actual Jersey Shore Boardwalk itself? Lots of ideas for something fun and beautiful...Boardwalk style food.. another ice cream parlor so you don't have to wait hours to get into beaches and cream... TOns of ideas! ...Just not ESPN and Big River...lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom