News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

I don't but.... higher than the dwarf coaster.

Amazing - I never got the impression they ever considered "Bald Mountain" THAT seriously. Lots of talk, for sure, but it seemed mostly like fans ran away with it. There must have been *some* real development on the thing if they sent up balloons - enough to give you an idea of what you'd be tracing out on the MK skyline, at least.

Any chance you can speak to the legitimacy of this piece of art? It's been floating around the net for a little while now with claims that it's related to this attraction, but I've never been able to determine where it actually came from. I've never seen it in any Disney release, and these days it can be hard to know if something is Fanmade or not without verification:
1534676741440.png

EricsBiscuit

Because they’re abandoning the site for several months. Those openings are going exist for years when the ride opens and have to exist to get it open. You can’t test a coaster with walls blocking the track. You can’t build your entrance with a wall in the middle of it.
I still don’t think this passes the smell test. They’re already almost to where they were 2019 attendance wise. It’s packed every week. It would make 0 sense for them to stop construction of something and delay it passed spring or mid summer ‘22. It’s not like a temporary stop would save them any money. It might actually cost more money!

JoeCamel

I still don’t think this passes the smell test. They’re already almost to where they were 2019 attendance wise. It’s packed every week. It would make 0 sense for them to stop construction of something and delay it passed spring or mid summer ‘22. It’s not like a temporary stop would save them any money. It might actually cost more money!
I'm wondering if contractors have time commitments elsewhere and the schedule will have to be recast? No longer available for this job?

lazyboy97o

I’m not saying it makes sense to stop, but you don’t wall up openings you need open to finish the work. And these are actual walls being built, not plywood boards being screwed into them. That’s an extra expense that only makes sense if you need more than short term protection.
I'm wondering if contractors have time commitments elsewhere and the schedule will have to be recast? No longer available for this job?
People bend over backwards to get Disney work and it’s not like there has been a huge boom in building. If anything the pause of Epic Universe has left a huge hole in the local schedules (although the phases of work don’t quite overlap).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The decision to halt construction was made before there was any hope that this Summer *maybe* things would begin to normalize with herd immunity. It didn't make sense to open E-Tickets that would draw more crowds that couldn't get in with the distancing capacity limits. As anemic as DHS is with attractions at this time, it hits (or gets near) its capacity with RotR and MMRR. MK doesn't need help hitting its capacity (tho, maybe EPCOT does).

The 50th celebration alone (and the restart of party nights) is going to make this Holiday Season constantly hit capacity.

Anyway, a decision made months ago was to save TRON and GotG for after the initial 50th crowd. They'd be a great way to bolster crowds starting mid-January for "we're open without masks" campaign.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When sight lines were a priority!
Unlike now a days attraction construction.

I assume balloon height tests have bee replaced with 3d computer imaging?
Though, new Swan and Dolphin hotel used balloons
Balloons were used for the Swolphin motel as you said, and Epcot’s big blue box (though that should have put a stop to the project right there)

zombiebbq

DisMOM: "Disney doesn't need to build ugly thrill seeking speed machines. Disney parks are "family" parks and need to stay that way!"

Same DisMOM to 14 year old son: "Why is all you want to do here at WDW is stay in the room and watch Netflix? Come to EPCOT with us, I got you a Frozen Ever After FP+. That's your sister's favorite ride."

Son: "I'd rather have a root canal". (pulls up velocicoaster POV on YouTube)
And I'm going to be the Dismom dragging my kids on every thrill ride they got! bring it on!
Would Journey to the Center of the Earth (from TDS) qualify?

(Or even better, actually building Fire Mountain)
Practically everything in Toyko Disneysea is the perfect mix of immersion and thrill. The benchmark WDW should be aiming for.

optjay

Balloons were used for the Swolphin motel as you said, and Epcot’s big blue box (though that should have put a stop to the project right there)
Wow, I didn't realize the Epcot box also! any pictures?
I honestly did like seeing the balloon height test in Adventureland behind pirates though, for Volcano?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom