Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

Actually unless you can wash your hands you should not remove the mask in the parking lot. If you do, you could be contaminating yourself. Masks do protect others but they also protect you which is why the fit is important. Many of us don't remove while driving because one should wash hands after removal. So I cannot do it until I get home. So no, that's people not understanding. In fact they really do understand. Also when it's cold I am not removing my winter gear just to take it off. It keeps me warm lol

Here's a full article

I agree with the first part of your post - for those that do understand.
I'm glad that you and a couple of people on this board get how it works.
Many people out there however have absolutely zero idea of the idea behind wearing these things.

Kevin_W

What was the warning?
The reason I have heard is that high temperature can cause pressurization of the container due to the vapor pressure of the alcohol. It is conceivable that you could get 5-6 psi of pressure in a container on a really hot day. That could be enough to cause a container to burst.

My car has overheat protection so it won't get that warm and I wouldn't be that concerned about it anyway, but it is a possibility.

ToTBellHop

What was the warning?

I’ve always kept little bottles in the car. I have noticed that eventually the bottle gets stiffer and harder to use. Mostly a bottle I’ve refilled many times though, as new small ones were in short supply. I currently upgraded to a larger pump bottle in the car, as that’s the size my preferred brand was available in. Plus, it’s cold. I do wonder if I’ll need to worry about it leaking when it warms up. Freezing has never been an issue.

It would be good to know if there’s some issue I’m not thinking about.

The driving alone one is easy, we have no idea where that person is going or just come from. They may have a good reason. About to pick someone up and don’t want to count on the air turnover when the door opens. Picking up or dropped someone off and didn’t have stationary time to change the mask. I would prefer people aren’t trying to drive down the road while trying to put on or off a mask and sanitizer at the same time. It could make a cell phone look safe in comparison.
There were rumors it could combust, but that’s been largely debunked. But some ingredients can degrade in direct sunlight, so the effectiveness could fall. It’s still better than using spit.

We’ve known for a long time that proper hand washing is better, but you can’t wash your hands everywhere.

mmascari

But some ingredients can degrade in direct sunlight, so the effectiveness could fall. It’s still better than using spit.
That’s at least actionable. And a reminder that if not used fast enough, the center cup holder is a poor storage location. The door pocket or glove box would remove the direct sunlight most of the time. Trade off vs easy access.

Pressure and the pump is an item I’ll be watching. On a cap, it would take more force.

Like a water bottle with a straw and relief valve has issues on an airplane while a screw top works better.

Incomudro

There were rumors it could combust, but that’s been largely debunked. But some ingredients can degrade in direct sunlight, so the effectiveness could fall. It’s still better than using spit.

We’ve known for a long time that proper hand washing is better, but you can’t wash your hands everywhere.

Yes, one of those highly exagerrated scenarios the media ran with - which, as these things tend to do - got my mother in law warning the family about hand sanitizer in the car.
Stupid media.
Scare the public into removing hand sanitizer (something that works) from their vehicles, based on the most highly unlikely possibilities of combustion.
I would have liked to see the Mythbusters do an episode on what it would take to get hand sanitizer to combust in a vehicle.
BTW, I've been keeping hand sanitizer in my car ever since my twin sons were born 19 years ago.
I've always slathered it on my hands before grasping a shopping cart - and then wiped the cart handle off with the wipes that supermarkets provide.
Yes, the supermarkets in my area have had wipes on hand for the 19 years that I've been looking for them.
Then, when I get back to my car - I reapply hand sanitizer - having touched handles and the like in the supermarket.
Always been careful not to touch my eyes or mouth before doing so.
These are the things you learn when your wife is an RN.

correcaminos

What was the warning?

I’ve always kept little bottles in the car. I have noticed that eventually the bottle gets stiffer and harder to use. Mostly a bottle I’ve refilled many times though, as new small ones were in short supply. I currently upgraded to a larger pump bottle in the car, as that’s the size my preferred brand was available in. Plus, it’s cold. I do wonder if I’ll need to worry about it leaking when it warms up. Freezing has never been an issue.

It would be good to know if there’s some issue I’m not thinking about.

The driving alone one is easy, we have no idea where that person is going or just come from. They may have a good reason. About to pick someone up and don’t want to count on the air turnover when the door opens. Picking up or dropped someone off and didn’t have stationary time to change the mask. I would prefer people aren’t trying to drive down the road while trying to put on or off a mask and sanitizer at the same time. It could make a cell phone look safe in comparison.
Because it should be kept in a cool dry place away from sunlight. It has to do with evaporation from what I recall but this was last summer so I'm fuzzy. It can also cause the lids to pop open easily and can make a mess (that did happen to me the only time I left it in the car). Going back to the suggested storage of cool, dry places away from direct sunlight - and in the summer that's not my car. Nothing nefarious, but I just think it's better to keep it on me instead of my car.

To be real, I am not a regular sanitizer normally so my supply is limited anyway.

correcaminos

Yes, one of those highly exagerrated scenarios the media ran with - which, as these things tend to do - got my mother in law warning the family about hand sanitizer in the car.
Stupid media.
Scare the public into removing hand sanitizer (something that works) from their vehicles, based on the most highly unlikely possibilities of combustion.
I would have liked to see the Mythbusters do an episode on what it would take to get hand sanitizer to combust in a vehicle.
BTW, I've been keeping hand sanitizer in my car ever since my twin sons were born 19 years ago.
I've always slathered it on my hands before grasping a shopping cart - and then wiped the cart handle off with the wipes that supermarkets provide.
Yes, the supermarkets in my area have had wipes on hand for the 19 years that I've been looking for them.
Then, when I get back to my car - I reapply hand sanitizer - having touched handles and the like in the supermarket.
Always been careful not to touch my eyes or mouth before doing so.
These are the things you learn when your wife is an RN.
If you are using that much hand sanitizer I'd be careful of touching my eyes too ;)

I didn't get my info from the mainstream media though. So I wasn't worried about fires or stuff (learned about that crazy idea today). Just making the sanitizer not last as long. I do think we over sanitize as it is and just prefer to wash.

Touchdown

Because it should be kept in a cool dry place away from sunlight. It has to do with evaporation from what I recall but this was last summer so I'm fuzzy. It can also cause the lids to pop open easily and can make a mess (that did happen to me the only time I left it in the car). Going back to the suggested storage of cool, dry places away from direct sunlight - and in the summer that's not my car. Nothing nefarious, but I just think it's better to keep it on me instead of my car.

To be real, I am not a regular sanitizer normally so my supply is limited anyway.
The active ingredient in hand sanitizer is ethyl alcohol, aka ethanol, aka the same stuff that’s in your adult beverages. It has a boiling point of 173 degrees F and a freezing point of -173 degrees F. It can degrade in the sun, so you should have it in the shade but, I highly doubt your car will ever get as hot or cold to change ethanol’s physical state.

JoeCamel

The active ingredient in hand sanitizer is ethyl alcohol, aka ethanol, aka the same stuff that’s in your adult beverages. It has a boiling point of 173 degrees F and a freezing point of -173 degrees F. It can degrade in the sun, so you should have it in the shade but, I highly doubt your car will ever get as hot or cold to change ethanol’s physical state.
Leads me to the thought of "can you slather enough sanitizer on your skin and absorb enough alcohol to feel the effects?"

correcaminos

Sorry was following the WHO. Forgive me for listening to them "Containers / dispensers should be stored in a cool place, and care should be taken regarding the securing of tops / lids"

shade is a premium in my car. I only have so many bottles as I don't hoard and didn't want to waste.

Not sure what the issue with not keeping it in my car is.

Edit: For giggles I googled and 170 on a very hot summer day is not impossible. I did see 200 but I doubted that. Better safe than sorry when one does not hoard sanitizer like some do. We never had any in our house until the pandemic hit.

Last edited:

pixie225

They’ve literally told us to do so. My family had COVID-19 11 months ago. There’s no data to suggest we have any significant immunity at this point (I hope we do, but I won’t hang my hat on hope. I’ll get vaccinated when it’s my turn).
My daughter had covid the beginning of last March. Got antibodies tested, donated plasma as she had antibodies. Had to have a covid test (negative) December upon returning to NY from a short vacay in Florida. Had another antibody test done just for the heck of it at same time. Guess what - no antibodies. They did say she might still have some t-cells which would provide immunity, but they don't test for those. She will get the vaccine when she is eligible, but being "young and healthy" that may not be until summer.

Disney Experience

So news sites reported about Oregon "covid cases" with people vaccinated (Both shots). It should be no surprise since the MRNA vaccines are 95% effective overall in the Phase 3 studies. I wonder if some people will point to it and say "See the vaccines really do not work, so why should I take it". To me the cases (given the current count) do not even warrant being emphasized in a news article.

So what are the numbers from the phase 3 trial?
https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577/suppl_file/nejmoa2034577_appendix.pdf

If the virus is no more contagious than before then the phase 3 Pfizer study had 43,448 participants. Half with Placebo. In the time frame monitored in the paper 8 vaccinated (+7 days since second shot) and 162 placebo got Covid.

Now the Oregon total time since second shot may (or may not) be less than the study time post second shot, but if it was the same then we could expect (If Oregon shots/2 equals second shot +7 days in Oregon [It won't the real number will be less])
We should expect
Oregon fully vaccinate = <(677,000/2)
Study fully vaccinated = (43448/2)

Expected Oregon fully vaccinated covid cases = ~ 677000/43448 *8= ~ 124 cases
Actual cases = 4 cases

Now total time in trial vs in Oregon was not compensated for in the above formula.

But no one should be surprised that some get Covid even after fully being vaccinated. The severity may be less, and the chances of getting is less. But people's immune systems vary. That is one reason why they do a Phase 3 study.

The article below does say that the cases are expected, but unless other news organization are reporting it and say it is unexpected, it would seem to not be newsworthy.

Disney Experience

My daughter had covid the beginning of last March. Got antibodies tested, donated plasma as she had antibodies. Had to have a covid test (negative) December upon returning to NY from a short vacay in Florida. Had another antibody test done just for the heck of it at same time. Guess what - no antibodies. They did say she might still have some t-cells which would provide immunity, but they don't test for those. She will get the vaccine when she is eligible, but being "young and healthy" that may not be until summer.
The vaccines seem to provoke a stronger immune response than just getting covid. So she is right to get vaccinated when her group is allowed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So news sites reported about Oregon "covid cases" with people vaccinated (Both shots). It should be no surprise since the MRNA vaccines are 95% effective overall in the Phase 3 studies. I wonder if some people will point to it and say "See the vaccines really do not work, so why should I take it". To me the cases (given the current count) do not even warrant being emphasized in a news article.

So what are the numbers from the phase 3 trial?
https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577/suppl_file/nejmoa2034577_appendix.pdf

If the virus is no more contagious than before then the phase 3 Pfizer study had 43,448 participants. Half with Placebo. In the time frame monitored in the paper 8 vaccinated (+7 days since second shot) and 162 placebo got Covid.

Now the Oregon total time since second shot may (or may not) be less than the study time post second shot, but if it was the same then we could expect (If Oregon shots/2 equals second shot +7 days in Oregon [It won't the real number will be less])
We should expect
Oregon fully vaccinate = <(677,000/2)
Study fully vaccinated = (43448/2)

Expected Oregon fully vaccinated covid cases = ~ 677000/43448 *8= ~ 124 cases
Actual cases = 4 cases

Now total time in trial vs in Oregon was not compensated for in the above formula.

But no one should be surprised that some get Covid even after fully being vaccinated. The severity may be less, and the chances of getting is less. But people's immune systems vary. That is one reason why they do a Phase 3 study.

The article below does say that the cases are expected, but unless other news organization are reporting it and say it is unexpected, it would seem to not be newsworthy.

Yeah, I agree no really a big deal. Oregon has fully vaccinated around 195,000 people so 4 out of that is hardly even worth mentioning. The article also indicates that at least one of these was asymptomatic, so in the context of the clinical trials the vaccine would have been considered effective in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom