Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is not always a good thing.

Regardless, whether you're talking about the law or about the Constitution, my considered opinion -- admittedly, as an IT person, not a lawyer -- is that any attempt by the federal government to restrict the mobility of American citizens from one state to another would likely be quickly struck down by the courts. And I agree with you that Biden is not going to do it anyway.

It doesn’t seem like any of us are disagreeing here...

The validity of a “ban” is almost zero percent chance to stand up to a court challenge.

But the “battle” right now is corona response and messaging...and this is designed to aid in that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And if anyone is curious why Florida is getting lined up in the crosshairs here...here are exhibits A and B

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Funny how another guy who used to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave considered domestic travel restrictions too:

breaking-news.png

Polkadotdress

I started double-masking last week and was initially concerned that my breathing would feel constricted. It took me a minute or so to adjust, but I can honestly say that I no longer perceive any difference between breathing through one mask and breathing through two.
Same! I am currently wearing a surgical mask under my work-issued 2 ply nose-wire/fabric mask. And surprisingly, I've found that the surgical mask actually adds some stability to the whole thing, such that I'm no longer getting fabric in my mouth.

Win. Win.

cmwade77

Funny how another guy who used to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave considered domestic travel restrictions too:

What is even funnier is how he didn't do it once the legal issues with doing so were pointed out to him. I doubt the White House could get away with a ban, they might be able to get away with required testing, but even that might prove too much to legally overcome. Again, common sense should be used, don't go out if you are sick, wash your hands, etc. but we are going way too overboard here.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Speaking of following the rules, show me where the President of the United States has the Constitutional or legal authority to stop American citizens from traveling from one state to another.
Military, federal employees, contractors etc. Yes. Interstate travel planes, trains and busses maybe

cmwade77

Regardless, whether you're talking about the law or about the Constitution, my considered opinion -- admittedly, as an IT person, not a lawyer -- is that any attempt by the federal government to restrict the mobility of American citizens from one state to another would likely be quickly struck down by the courts. And I agree with you that Biden is not going to do it anyway.

Also, that is a TNG-era red alert sound (you can hear the Enterprise-D background noises) with a TOS movie-era red alert graphic. For shame. :)
As an IT person as well, I agree with you completely.

ToTBellHop

Also, that is a TNG-era red alert sound (you can hear the Enterprise-D background noises) with a TOS movie-era red alert graphic. For shame. :)
I would expect the best they could pull is mandatory rapid tests at airports departing FL and “asking” Governors who have not already done so to impose a 10-day quarantine on people traveling from FL. That’s about all the POTUS can do. I suspect the “threat” about mandatory testing for domestic travel is another attempt to ensure all businesses understand how they need to interact with the new sheriff in town.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is even funnier is how he didn't do it once the legal issues with doing so were pointed out to him. I doubt the White House could get away with a ban, they might be able to get away with required testing, but even that might prove too much to legally overcome. Again, common sense should be used, don't go out if you are sick, wash your hands, etc. but we are going way too overboard here.

So you’re an IT guy...legal scholar...AND a public Health expert??

You’re even more busy than ‘Thingie

ToTBellHop

So you’re an IT guy...legal scholar...AND a public Health expert??

You’re even more busy than ‘Thingie
A new President does not want a series of legal challenges so early in his term. If he makes threats but doesn’t follow through, the early headlines are enough to give him a lot of what he wants (many people will cancel Spring Break in FL plans) without having to actually do anything. Controlled “leaks” used as trial balloons are pretty brilliant. He should go into politics.

ToTBellHop

Australia is a continent, not an island. They had to restrict movement within the country. Nothing they did is impossible for the USA to do.

I’m pretty sure Canada is coming pretty close to their level of restrictions but not sure.
It’s also an island...and one which they closed off early in the pandemic to significantly prevent cases from ever arriving. They lock-down over a case. America stays open over 300k cases in a day.

The situation could not be any different in America.

Canada isn’t being that brave. There aren’t many Americans pining to enter Canada in February and Canadians can return if they come to America (though they must quarantine). All they are really doing is keeping their own citizens from escaping to Jamaica for a week because it’s not worth quarantining over.

For reference:
Front

The island of Australia

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A new President does not want a series of legal challenges so early in his term. If he makes threats but doesn’t follow through, the early headlines are enough to give him a lot of what he wants (many people will cancel Spring Break in FL plans) without having to actually do anything. Controlled “leaks” used as trial balloons are pretty brilliant. He should go into politics.

Not disagreeing...at all.

I just love the loser tinge on the political angles here.

I don’t care about ❄️ Feelings much. Get this thing taken care of intelligently.

correcaminos

...with almost no lead time...

I get it...we are not in full agreement about every detail here...there’s plenty of room on “vaccine island” for both us here. Because I’ve never waivered from “shut up and take it” as far as vaccines go.

I just think the messaging is more delicate. It shouldn’t be...humans are supposed to be “advanced”...but their brains are not.
Lead time? Now I feel like we're so off track from the original comments that maybe you just like arguing ;)

Either take the facts or not. I really don't have much in me today to set things straight. Being factual will work if people bother to stick to actual facts. Which in this case an asymptomatic person caught it and did so before he was even full level of immunity. So who knows if he was a true 5% or not. Vaccines work. It's already being proven. Arguing about this is what causes doubt when there is none. No gray no different ways to interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom