Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

I’m not sure why you find my question stupid. Since the poster mentioned people on FB, I was wondering what in particular they were concerned about (comfort, breathability, heat, expense, etc.). Perhaps I’m missing something obvious.

I assumed you were being sarcastic. If you weren't, apologies.

dreday3

This is what happens when some people don't play nice. Things get taken away. If little kids can follow rules why can't adults?

What rules? Wearing masks? Then over half the country should be subjected to these travel bans.
The UK variant is everywhere at this point.

I am against domestic travel bans. Always have been. Restrictions as in quarantine or a negative Covid test when returning home? Sure. Outright you can't go there? Nope.

And believe me, I've not been with the anti-mask, "it's like the flu" crowd. Ever. But I disagree strongly with domestic travel bans.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So I'm against this (not that it matters :D ). It sets a dangerous precedent.

It does...

But they’re not gonna do it. I don’t believe they actually can. It was discussed in detail regarding New York last spring. One idiot loudmouth governor in particular...was rather vocal.

This is designed to threaten Florida’s tourism money - which they depend on no matter the BS they say - to get back into some level of alert/compliance.

Because one loudmouth governor is at it again...the same one, ironically.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I started double-masking last week and was initially concerned that my breathing would feel constricted. It took me a minute or so to adjust, but I can honestly say that I no longer perceive any difference between breathing through one mask and breathing through two.
Are they single ply? We’ve gone 3 ply in the UK and I’ve not noticed any difference from single ply.

Last edited:

hopemax

It does...

But they’re not gonna do it. I don’t believe they actually can. It was discussed in detail regarding New York last spring. One idiot loudmouth governor in particular...was rather vocal.

This is designed to threaten Florida’s tourism money - which they depend on no matter the BS they say - to get back into some level of alert/compliance.

Because one loudmouth governor is at it again...the same one, ironically.
I also dislike the framing of this. Even Steve's post "they are considering." It kind of implies that this is something that they are definitely proceeding with. When what I suspect happened is that they had a roundtable brainstorm about possible things to do, of which this was one. Someone might have even been asked to "check into the legalities." But ultimately isn't going to be *the* plan. Kind of like so many of the Disney rumors that people freak out about. When many turns out to be blue sky exercises, or things that were given examination but ultimately ruled out. Personally, I think this shows transparency, "Yes, we talked about it." Which is what I thought we liked from our government. But then some run off to "OMG! They talked about it, so they're going to do it!"

But I agree that just putting it out there may cause some voluntary compliance. Maybe from FL. Maybe from travelers who would see this and ask themselves, "Is it safe for me to travel to FL right now?"

MrMichaelJames

Speaking of following the rules, show me where the President of the United States has the Constitutional or legal authority to stop American citizens from traveling from one state to another.
I actually don't know. Thats up for the lawyers to answer. So unless you are a lawyer? (I'm not) I am not even going to pretend to answer that. But at the same time just because a report says that the white house is thinking of, doesn't actually mean that they are. We all think of doing a lot of things all day long but luckily thinking is not illegal.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
There's also a good chance that it would be unconstitutional unless it was very carefully written.
It very likely is unconstitutional and would be struck down very quickly since there is existing precedence which ensure that Americans have the constitutional right to unabridged interstate travel.

So they want to target the Florida Governor, well what happens when California mutant variant numbers kick up? or NY? or Texas? It's an especially foolish strategy given what appears to be declining cases overall and increased numbers of vaccinations been administered.

What there're really are, are trial balloons being leaked to the press. It happens all the time when leaders can't make decisions. Last week was the domestic CV-19 testing requirement for all airline travel. It was met with swift resistance from virtually everyone impacted. This is more of the same, to gauge reaction. Remember these people don't care about the practical result of restrictions or the science, they care about the politics. And if they say that they will follow the "science" then you absolutely know that it is political.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking of following the rules, show me where the President of the United States has the Constitutional or legal authority to stop American citizens from traveling from one state to another.
According to this:

Federal officials do have powers to restrict travel between states during a pandemic, according to the Public Health Service Act that uses language from an 1890 law allowing the federal government to make and enforce regulations to prevent the spread of communicable diseases “from one State or possession into any other State or possession.”

Read more here: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article249154715.html#storylink=cpy

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I also dislike the framing of this. Even Steve's post "they are considering." It kind of implies that this is something that they are definitely proceeding with. When what I suspect happened is that they had a roundtable brainstorm about possible things to do, of which this was one. Someone might have even been asked to "check into the legalities." But ultimately isn't going to be *the* plan. Kind of like so many of the Disney rumors that people freak out about. When many turns out to be blue sky exercises, or things that were given examination but ultimately ruled out.

But I agree that just putting it out there may cause some voluntary compliance. Maybe from FL. Maybe from travelers who would see this and ask themselves, "Is it safe for me to travel to FL right now?"

I get the tactic...but this is never going to happen.

The reality is that the country seems to be making SOME progress...
But adversarial political aspirations could hurt it. The rope has to be pulled in the same direction. And it’s not. The election is over.

That Naples grocery store clip from last week generated a lot of bad buzz.

I think this is Washington’s way of putting pressure on. They can’t ban interstate commerce...which is what this would be argued in court as.

LittleBuford

Are they single ply? We’ve gone 3 ply in the UK and I’ve not noticed any difference from single ply.
Before, I was wearing three-layer cloth masks (the old-style Disney ones, with two layers of cotton and an outer layer of polyester; they switched a few months back to only two layers of polyester). Now, I wear an additional four-ply surgical mask under the cloth Disney one—so that’s seven layers in total. I know that sounds overcautious to the point of paranoia, but I should note that I double-mask only when I’m going to be indoors among other people (e.g., at the post office or grocery shopping). If I’m just going for a walk outside, I wear only a single cloth mask.

LittleBuford

Before, I was wearing three-layer cloth masks (the old-style Disney ones, with two layers of cotton and an outer layer of polyester; they switched a few months back to only two layers of polyester). Now, I wear an additional four-ply surgical mask under the cloth Disney one—so that’s seven layers in total. I know that sounds overcautious to the point of paranoia, but I should note that I double-mask only when I’m going to be indoors among other people (e.g., at the post office or grocery shopping). If I’m just going for a walk outside, I wear only a single cloth mask.
I should add by way of context that my father is currently on a ventilator fighting for his life. I already took the virus very seriously before he was hospitalised, but I’m even more careful now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s not gonna happen...

But I LOVE it when people preach the Constitution.

There’s hardly anything in it. 99.9999999% of our laws come from Acts passed on the federal/local levels and by case law determined in the courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom