Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out- there were 160 new reported deaths, along with 5 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.20.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.20.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.20.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.19.55 PM.png

James J

In the Parks
No
The WHO an hour ago recommended the AstraZeneca vaccine for all ages

They've recommended it for all over 18's rather than all ages - here's the story: https://news.sky.com/story/oxford-a...vising-the-world-health-organisation-12214373

It's also interesting to see that they've said giving two doses eight-12 weeks apart increased the vaccine's effectiveness and provided greater protection, after a lot of scepticism about the UK taking that route initially.

dreday3

CDC says fully vaccinated people can skip quarantines if exposed to a person with Covid. still wear masks, etc.

People who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus -- meaning they have recieved two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine-- can skip quarantine if they are exposed to someone infected with the virus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

“Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19,” the CDC said in updates to its webpage with guidance on vaccination.

Mark52479

I think using the term "double-masking" may turn some people off to this, I know I have already seen in on my Facebook feed. What we are really talking about here is the quality of masking. We have probably gotten everyone who is going to wear a mask to wear one, but now we need to focus in more on wearing the best available mask. If you have a good quality, well fitting, multi-layer mask, then double masking really isn't necessary. If that's not what you have access to, then multiple layers of less ideal masks is a good alternative.
Exactly this.

CDC updated their website today and said 1 mask with multiple layers is still acceptable. If not that, then 2 masks.

I do believe that some of the masks that Disney are selling do have 2 layers.

DCBaker

Premium Member
CDC says fully vaccinated people can skip quarantines if exposed to a person with Covid. still wear masks, etc.

People who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus -- meaning they have recieved two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine-- can skip quarantine if they are exposed to someone infected with the virus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

“Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19,” the CDC said in updates to its webpage with guidance on vaccination.
Here's the text from the new guidance -

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 3.06.14 PM.png

dreday3

This is very good. From CNN latest updates:

Seventy-one percent of Americans are now willing to get Covid-19 vaccines, up from 65% in late December and the highest number on record since July, according to a Gallup poll released Wednesday.

Of those unwilling to get a vaccine:

• 25% said they were concerned about the rushed development of the vaccines
  • 22% said they want to wait and see that it's a safe for others
  • 16% said they did not trust vaccines in general
  • 9% said they wanted to see how effective it is

dreday3

Last edited:

Disney Experience

Here's the text from the new guidance -

View attachment 531019

Well that leaves me out. (I am okay with it since it has to be that way [See my paragraph below])

One problem being in the Phase 3 trial is that we are the vanguard of clinical information on the vaccine, such as how long efficacy last. So they now are confident from the ongoing data from Phase 3 people that at least three months the efficacy is good enough to not need quarantine on exposure. But almost being 5 months out since my second shot, I fall outside the 3 month guideline. It does make sense. As time goes on they will know how fast the efficacy decreases by monitoring us. It will not be until enough people (mainly in the Phase 3 study) get past a certain time since second vaccination that they will know, therefore they would not be increasing the guidance to "catch up" to us, since we are what makes them confident in giving the guidance.

Those who "were" in the placebo group will have gotten the actual vaccine more recently so they will be able to not quarantine.

Edit: I am assuming that is how they derived the 3 months limit. It may just be they said we will give those vaccinated the same timeframe of those who had actual covid.

Last edited:

correcaminos

They aren’t talking about kids. When they say all ages they mean 18+ but especially 65+ since some countries were recommending that 65+ not get this vaccine and wait for a “better one”.
Sorry when I read for all ages I see it to be that - all ages. Given this vaccine isn't even approved here and no bottom age given I went that way.

My point is that it’s not as simple as you’re making it.

When the J&J numbers came out...they said 67% and 85% - on more nuanced studies - and the perception was immediately “i don’t want that...I want the 95”

But the 95 wasn’t studied under the same conditions...namely no variants

It is grey in the PR lens
I fee you veered from the subject at hand. We were talking a specific vaccine. Not one that isn't even approved for use anywhere yet.

The 95% absolutely had variants at the time of the studies. They just had to confirm specifics since people were worried. The UK one was discovered about when I started the trial for example. They went globally too.

mmascari

I think using the term "double-masking" may turn some people off to this, I know I have already seen in on my Facebook feed. What we are really talking about here is the quality of masking. We have probably gotten everyone who is going to wear a mask to wear one, but now we need to focus in more on wearing the best available mask. If you have a good quality, well fitting, multi-layer mask, then double masking really isn't necessary. If that's not what you have access to, then multiple layers of less ideal masks is a good alternative.
I think that's a super important part.

Many of the disposable masks have gaps or don't fit snug. They may have plenty of layers, but if you can toss a penny in the side from across the room, there's issues.

Many of the fabric mask may be just two layers and only as good as the material used. But, at least for some designs, they come in more tailored shapes and can fit very well. Or, even a single layer gaiter type.

If you wear the fabric one over the disposable one, you'll get the better layers from the disposable with the fit more formed and tailored from the fabric one. Much like putting a high quality filter in a fabric one, but larger and better coverage, and easier than stuffing a filter in.

I choose my mask based on the likely exposure risk. Going for a hike in a park where I'll pass people for seconds/minutes but mostly be outside alone. Almost anything is fine, especially if you're removing it while alone. Spending hours in an enclosed space with random people something more robust.

It drives me nuts the number of people you see wearing an N95 type mask, but it doesn't fit right. Might be gapping on the side, or totally open beneath the chin, the nose doesn't fit right. Like, what's the point here? Someone went out of their way to buy it as a better mask than a well fitting cloth one, and then totally dropped the ball on fit making it less useful in the end. My wife likes to point out, if an N95 isn't leaving a mark where it's sealed, you're wearing it wrong.

The only thing worse is the chin warmer. Still see those. People went to the trouble to have the mask. They put it on. It's not any more comfortable under the chin than on. All the drawbacks of using a mask with none of the benefit to anyone.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry when I read for all ages I see it to be that - all ages. Given this vaccine isn't even approved here and no bottom age given I went that way.

I fee you veered from the subject at hand. We were talking a specific vaccine. Not one that isn't even approved for use anywhere yet.

The 95% absolutely had variants at the time of the studies. They just had to confirm specifics since people were worried. The UK one was discovered about when I started the trial for example. They went globally too.

...with almost no lead time...

I get it...we are not in full agreement about every detail here...there’s plenty of room on “vaccine island” for both us here. Because I’ve never waivered from “shut up and take it” as far as vaccines go.

I just think the messaging is more delicate. It shouldn’t be...humans are supposed to be “advanced”...but their brains are not.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Reports suggest that the White House is considering domestic travel bans to Florida amid steeply rising U.K. variant COVID-19 cases in the state​

Well that’s not good at all

The good news is governor Ron had his fill of Ybor Lagers at Raymond James without that damn, dirty mask 🙄

dreday3

Reports suggest that the White House is considering domestic travel bans to Florida amid steeply rising U.K. variant COVID-19 cases in the state​

So I'm against this (not that it matters :D ). It sets a dangerous precedent.

MrMichaelJames

Some people have problems wearing masks. Maybe not you, but some people other than you can be very uncomfortable wearing one mask, let alone two.
Some people don't want to wear clothes in public either but you still have to. People need to get over themselves and just be honest with everyone. Some don't like wearing masks because they want to be jerks and prove some stupid point. Its not medical, its not comfort its just them not liking being told to do something. There are very very very few actual medical reasons and that only effects an extremely super small number of people. Comfort is NOT a valid reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom