Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

Everything is subjective, but in this case, Mr. "I'm Going to Florida But Oh, Wait, I'm Not and Ya Know, I'm Just Gonna Go Along With All These Crappy Changes and Keep Giving Disney My Money" is talking about a physically thrilling ride, which Rise Before Dawn and Closed Longer Than It Was Open is anything but. It just glides slowly down hallways until the extremely brief hectic end bit.

There you have it folks. How is it that the drunken middle aged man who goes to Disneyland solo 5 times a week to ride Haunted Mansion 100 times gets it and not you guys?

Professortango1

It’s worth noting I’ve been to Magic Mountain once in the last decade and Disneyland maybe 100 times in the same time period. I find the first drop on POTC thrilling. I do not find the drop into the elevator shaft in ROTR thrilling.

Okay. I consider IJA and ROTR more thrilling than Incredicoaster because of the emotional thrills. I found POTC thrilling when I was a kid, but I wouldn't classify it as such as an adult.

Whatever floats your boat, man.

fctiger

Okay. I consider IJA and ROTR more thrilling than Incredicoaster because of the emotional thrills. I found POTC thrilling when I was a kid, but I wouldn't classify it as such as an adult.

Whatever floats your boat, man.

It just proves that everyone has different preferences even on a Disney board. I love POTC, it's still a really fun ride. But same time if you opened it today as is, it wouldn't nearly have the same thrill for most people compared to IJA and ROTR. I know that because they don't build rides like that now. The latest POTC ride in Shanghai Disneyland in honesty is basically ROTR on water lol. Until ROTR came along, that seemed to be dubbed the best Disney attraction today by a lot of fans. I remember the first time I did it, I went on it four times straight.

But on boards like this, the older rides have literally decades of nostalgia built in, that just can't be denied. I know that because my reactions to rides like POTC, HM, etc are very different from my kids who certainly like those rides, but are much more interested in the newer stuff by a mile like TOT/MB, IJA, ROTR, Incredicoaster, etc. They would never dub POTC as a thrill ride.

mickEblu

It just proves that everyone has different preferences even on a Disney board. I love POTC, it's still a really fun ride. But same time if you opened it today as is, it wouldn't nearly have the same thrill for most people compared to IJA and ROTR. I know that because they don't build rides like that now. The latest POTC in Shanghai Disney in honesty is basically ROTR on water lol. Until ROTR came along, that seemed to be dubbed the best Disney attraction today by a lot of fans. I remember the first time I did it, I went on it four times straight.

But on boards like this, the older rides have literally decades of nostalgia built in, that just can't be denied. I know that because my reactions to rides like POTC, HM, etc are very different from my kids who certainly like those rides, but are much more interested in the newer stuff by a mile like TOT/MB, IJA, ROTR, Splash, etc. They would never dub POTC as a thrill ride.

I’m not saying POTC is a thrill ride. I’m saying the first drop is more thrilling than any moment on ROTR. Also, it’s appreciated more as it isn’t expected. As where on ROTR you expect more thrills and don’t really get them. My other point, from a macro view, is that I find it odd that we re getting/ got 3 purpose built Star Wars And Marvel rides at DLR and not one is a true thrill ride. So my question is if not now, when? Maybe never again at DLR

BubbaisSleep

I love POTC but I've had rides with people falling asleep (I could never disrespect such an amazing ride).
No matter your subjective opinion on what's physically or emotionally thrilling, there's no way anyone is taking a nap on ROTR or IJA anytime soon. If so, please record cause I'd love a good laugh.

fctiger

slightly off topic but does anyone have any recent pictures of avengers campus construction in hong kong? I cant find any

You're much better off asking this in the actual Hong Kong section! And that place gets updated fairly often, which means if you don't see any recent pics there, then it's probably a no.

However, this site just does a great job of keeping track of all the construction updates for parks worldwide. If you haven't been here I suggest you keep it, especially for the international parks:

fctiger

I’m not saying POTC is a thrill ride. I’m saying the first drop is more thrilling than any moment on ROTR. Also, it’s appreciated more as it isn’t expected. As where on ROTR you expect more thrills and don’t really get them. My other point, from a macro view, is that I find it odd that we re getting/ got 3 purpose built Star Wars And Marvel rides at DLR and not one is a true thrill ride. So my question is if not now, when? Maybe never again at DLR

OK that's fine. I just don't know if everyone sees it that way. Yes on boards like this where everyone has been riding these rides since 1981, but younger people it's probably a lot more varied.

But I do agree with you, it is odd we have so many Star Wars and Marvel rides coming and not one that is a bonafide thrill ride. Not sure why that is either? I guess because if you do a roller-coaster there is only so much you could do with it story wise. That said I am curious to see how the GOTG coaster will be done in Epcot. That sounds like it will genuinely be something different while also a thrill ride. But it looks like it's way too big to put in DCA even if MB didn't exist.

BubbaisSleep

But I do agree with you, it is odd we have so many Star Wars and Marvel rides coming and not one that is a bonafide thrill ride. Not sure why that is either? I guess because if you do a roller-coaster there is only so much you could do with it story wise. That said I am curious to see how the GOTG coaster will be done in Epcot. That sounds like it will genuinely be something different while also a thrill ride. But it looks like it's way too big to put in DCA even if MB didn't exist.
Sadly I feel like Hyperspace Mountain was the thrill ride we've been asking for. Which is funny due to Disney overcomplicating things, just give us a well-themed coaster.

fctiger

Sadly I feel like Hyperspace Mountain was the thrill ride we've been asking for. Which is funny due to Disney overcomplicating things, just give us a well-themed coaster.

Yeah I think HSM is great, but for many they don't want to lose the original ride which is completely understandable.

But the funny thing is HSM is basically part of Hong Kong Disneyland full time now. The original ride there was popular but once they changed it to HSM, it became even more popular and stayed that way. No complaints. Proof again when you don't have 40+ years of nostalgia in your way, its easier for people to accept changes like this full time.

mickEblu

OK that's fine. I just don't know if everyone sees it that way. Yes on boards like this where everyone has been riding these rides since 1981, but younger people it's probably a lot more varied.

I mean it’s pretty objective. What moment on ROTR is more physically thrilling than the first drop on POTC?

Yeah I’m hoping they knock it out of the park with Cosmic Rewind. Even if the ride system most likely does not make it out here.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I mean it’s pretty subjective. What moment on ROTR is more physically thrilling than the first drop on POTC?

Yeah I’m hoping they knock it out of the park with Cosmic Rewind. Even if the ride system most likely does not make it out here.
I mean, I'd say the score to ROTR is alone more thrilling than POTC's first drop. Add in the preshow, the lasers, the explosions, a lightsaber coming through the ceiling, and a surprise drop, just about everything on ROTR is more thrilling than POTC's first drop.

BubbaisSleep

Yeah I think HSM is great, but for many they don't want to lose the original ride which is completely understandable.

But the funny thing is HSM is basically part of Hong Kong Disneyland full time now. The original ride there was popular but once they changed it to HSM, it became even more popular and stayed that way. No complaints. Proof again when you don't have 40+ years of nostalgia in your way, its easier for people to accept changes like this full time.
Yeah it's a double-edged sword at DLR, much like HM & HMH.

I do have hope they they just go the lazy route with the Avengers ride & somewhat copy what's being done over with the RnRC redo at the Studios park in Paris. While DL already has a indoor coaster, DCA could certainly benefit from one. Or copy Cosmic Rewind as mentioned, which seems to be less similar than the nearby Incredicoaster.

Californian Elitist

I would agree with this. The first drop in Pirates is more exhilarating and thrilling than any point in ROTR.

I honestly found ROTR to be a one and done.

fctiger

I mean it’s pretty objective. What moment on ROTR is more physically thrilling than the first drop on POTC?

No it isn't. It's very very subjective lol.

The drop at the end of ROTR in your escape pod is a pretty good example. Everyone freaked out when we dropped and my kids loved it. The drop in POTC is fine, but it's pretty ho-hum for my kids who has been on stuff at MM that can make people pass out.

Also excited for Cosmic Rewind. Hope it won't be delayed too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom