Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

JoeCamel

No. I know that's a thing in the medical community, and there are clinical differences between those categories.

But I've always just called them "Nursing Homes". I had two elderly loved ones die in a Nursing Home in the last year.
My mother went from lifecare to assisted living to full nursing and back to assisted living for hospice care before she died last year at 101. 27 years in some form of lifecare most of it with my father. I think you need to understand who is in the different facilities. I have spent the last 20 years in and around these places helping my parents and I knew many of their friends that lived for a very long time with the help of "nursing homes". With "good" medical care people are spending 30 years from retirement to death, it ain't pretty at the end but I am amazed at how much hardship and pain people can endure for years.

TP2000

My mother went from lifecare to assisted living to full nursing and back to assisted living for hospice care before she died last year at 101. 27 years in some form of lifecare most of it with my father. I think you need to understand who is in the different facilities. I have spent the last 20 years in and around these places helping my parents and I knew many of their friends that lived for a very long time with the help of "nursing homes". With "good" medical care people are spending 30 years from retirement to death, it ain't pretty at the end but I am amazed at how much hardship and pain people can endure for years.

What a rough journey your mother had! :(

I had a longtime friend go to a Nursing Home, (I mentioned her last March in a Disneyland Covid thread, as she had a fun 1960's Disneyland connection!), but since she's not a family member I hesitate to name the facility she was in so people can determine what type of specific facility it was. Assisted Living? Hospice? Full Nursing? Or just a glorified bingo hall?

My cousin Shirley who died a few months ago was in a Nursing Home for about 7 months before she passed, and since I was a key caretaker during her final year I am happy to tell you she was in the Sunland Home down in Carlsbad, California. It's affiliated with a church that Shirley was a member of. It's website just calls it "Nursing Care". It had medical staff, and religious staff on duty at all times.

Looking at that Sunland website more, Shirley was in the part of the facility designated as "Sheltered Care", and I remember the Sunland staff using that "Sheltered Care" phrasing now.

I just call 'em Nursing Homes. But I realize things are far more complicated nowadays.

JoeCamel

What a rough journey your mother had! :(

I had a longtime friend go to a Nursing Home, (I mentioned her last March in a Disneyland Covid thread, as she had a fun 1960's Disneyland connection!), but since she's not a family member I hesitate to name the facility she was in so people can determine what type of specific facility it was. Assisted Living? Hospice? Full Nursing? Or just a glorified bingo hall?

My cousin Shirley who died a few months ago was in a Nursing Home for about 7 months before she passed, and since I was a key caretaker during her final year I am happy to tell you she was in the Sunland Home down in Carlsbad, California. It's affiliated with a church that Shirley was a member of. It's website just calls it "Nursing Care". It had medical staff, and religious staff on duty at all times.

Looking at that Sunland website more, Shirley was in the part of the facility designated as "Sheltered Care", and I remember the Sunland staff using that "Sheltered Care" phrasing now.

I just call 'em Nursing Homes. But I realize things are far more complicated nowadays.
But it wasnt - that is my point. Up to the last 3 - 4 years they lived very well just having a place to get meals, cleaning help, personal assistants if necessary and transportation if needed. It all enabled a pretty good quality of life. I admit that it is tied to money how well you live out your days and they did pretty well but were able to do that for many years past 85. I will probably die close to that and that is young for this family.

TP2000

But it wasnt - that is my point. Up to the last 3 - 4 years they lived very well just having a place to get meals, cleaning help, personal assistants if necessary and transportation if needed. It all enabled a pretty good quality of life. I admit that it is tied to money how well you live out your days and they did pretty well but were able to do that for many years past 85. I will probably die close to that and that is young for this family.

Ah, got it.

Yes, the Sunland Home that my cousin Shirley was in was a fabulous facility. There along the coast in Carlsbad, with perfect 72 degree sunshine year round. It was built a few years ago, and it looked more like a small Ritz Carlton hotel set amongst beautiful grounds and gardens. The staff there were absolute dolls every time I visited, before they finally stopped allowing visitors last May. So gracious and warm and obviously loving!

There are some truly miserable Nursing Homes aesthetically and professionally, sadly. But there are also places like Sunland that are beautifully maintained, beautifully designed, and beautifully peaceful for a person's last days.

Of course, I have a gentleman's agreement with a friend to just push me off the end of the Huntington Beach Pier and feed me to the sharks when I get too old to deal with, but that's another story. ;)

Lilofan

Ah, got it.

Yes, the Sunland Home that my cousin Shirley was in was a fabulous facility. There along the coast in Carlsbad, with perfect 72 degree sunshine year round. It was built a few years ago, and it looked more like a small Ritz Carlton hotel set amongst beautiful grounds and gardens. The staff there were absolute dolls every time I visited, before they finally stopped allowing visitors last May. So gracious and warm and obviously loving!

There are some truly miserable Nursing Homes aesthetically and professionally, sadly. But there are also places like Sunland that are beautifully maintained, beautifully designed, and beautifully peaceful for a person's last days.

Of course, I have a gentleman's agreement with a friend to just push me off the end of the Huntington Beach Pier and feed me to the sharks when I get too old to deal with, but that's another story. ;)
Nursing homes usually of suspect quality is at times covered by Medicare. A nice facility for assisted living near our home is not covered by insurance and a private room and board meals and nurse care runs $400 per day or $100K per year.

eliza61nyc

How well you live is always tied to money, ANYWHERE😉

eliza61nyc

So, I can save money by moving into CBR when the time comes!
Now they are combining senior living communities, you move into one for a couple of hundred grand but you're care can increase as you age. Some have everything from golf courses to dementia care all in one complex. I believe the allure is you can move in while you're healthy and active and then you're care is there as you need it

JoeCamel

Now they are combining senior living communities, you move into one for a couple of hundred grand but you're care can increase as you age. Some have everything from golf courses to dementia care all in one complex. I believe the allure is you can move in while you're healthy and active and then you're care is there as you need it
What my parents did, great decision for everyone and they were very happy.

_caleb

Wow.

I haven’t been following the Disneyland threads since... they are still closed.

I always liked your posts about the parks and I’m sad you’d take such a heartless position. :-/
Guys, this is why I keep telling you not to engage with the day-shift @TP2000! He’s all talking points and arguments. The guy who takes over the account after 11PM is much more thoughtful and kind—he tells stories and encourages dialog and seems to really know what he’s talking about.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don’t understand why they have to announce 19 layoffs to the State of Florida. I would assume 19 people turn over fairly frequently there.
This isn’t turn over. They are eliminating the positions.

government regulations
And in some cases, they have to provide stats to show the state that they aren't discriminating against any one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of protected employment classes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's about the worst analogy I could think of.

A 35 year old Dockers-clad manager should not be laid off. And if they are, it's tragic.

But an 85 year old diabetic woman living her last few months on earth in a Nursing Home is going to die soon whether you like it or not. Is that death sad? Yes, especially for her loved ones. But is her death inevitable? Yes.

You must be fun at parties...

Is death inevitable? It is. It’s also subjective to those with close contacts in THAT phase of their life.

I assume based on your name and comments you were born in 2000??

As far as that poor Lower manager...that sucks too. But you might want to look at the “funnel up” economic system - often lauded as if it’s some type of fantasy - that views that person as very minor data number on a market analysis...not even worthy of human chattel status?

I tend to look behind the curtain...that’s just my quirk.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And in some cases, they have to provide stats to show the state that they aren't discriminating against any one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of protected employment classes.

Funny thing about the first world...all employment is protected.
Not too hard to figure out why either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom