Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

They are advocating companies mandate vaccination: (Not sure if they can do this without the different unions getting onboard when the vaccines are only EUA ). They are private companies and many employees do not have a contract and can be fired at will for any reason not precluded by law.

Last edited:

sullyinMT

It looks like they were using raw math to come up with this without adjusting for any other variables. Going to need to see a proper scientific study before this assertion can be taken seriously.
At the very least it drives home the importance of timely, proper vaccination rollout.

oceanbreeze77

Driver's license. Most snowbirds have their homestead outside of Florida for property tax purposes, and you are only allowed to claim one homestead. If you homestead in Michigan and change to a Florida license or ID card, you will lose your tax break up north.
right, but as I mentioned before, a lot of places only need a utility bill to prove residency.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Technically, the vaccines are paid for with federal tax dollars, so the only residency requirement should be that you live in the US.
The vaccines are allocated to the states based on population so if many people from outside of FL went to FL instead of getting it in their home state then FL would have less doses for people who actually live there. It has nothing to do with cost, it’s about scarcity of the vaccine supply.
Anecdotally, I don't know anyone who is trying to stop snowbirds from getting a vaccine. It is the people flying in from other countries that are causing the complaints.
The specific post I was replying to had a quote of a question asked to the governor if he would give priority to full time FL residents over snow birds. As far as I know that was never the plan, just a question in a press briefing.

Animal_Kingdom_09

right, but as I mentioned before, a lot of places only need a utility bill to prove residency.

My mistake - I misunderstood the question. A driver's license will identify a full time resident from a snowbird. Being a part time resident for a vaccine only requires a utility bill, bank statement, etc.

A little useless trivia: the vaccine residency requirements are exactly the same as the residency requirements for medical marijuana.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine shots to non-resident (no local address).
Got it. That’s a pretty small number and there could be some legit people in that number too. If you live in Alabama or Georgia and work in a hospital in FL you likely got the shot at work. Here in PA our out of state number is 31,000 but that’s due to having so many hospitals in Philly with workers living in Delaware and New Jersey, there‘s probably some out West too near Pittsburgh.

Polkadotdress

Got it. That’s a pretty small number and there could be some legit people in that number too. If you live in Alabama or Georgia and work in a hospital in FL you likely got the shot at work. Here in PA our out of state number is 31,000 but that’s due to having so many hospitals in Philly with workers living in Delaware and New Jersey, there‘s probably some out West too near Pittsburgh.
Oh my gosh! I’ve met my match. You are actually more positive than I am!!!

Despite my sunny outlook, this vaccine rollout has me equal parts frustrated, scared, and angry. I worry for my elderly inlaws who haven’t successfully navigated the “Hunger Games” sign up process, and I fear for my own safety as an immune-suppressed asthmatic...who is anxiously eyeing those super-contagious variants that may soon raise their ugly heads prominently in the US.

Disney Experience

CDC updated their policy / suggestion on how long after first dose can the second dose be scheduled. (As far out as 6 weeks from initial shot, but it is not recommended)

The mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series consist of two doses administered intramuscularly:

• Pfizer-BioNTech (30 µg, 0.3 ml each): 3 weeks (21 days) apart
  • Moderna (100 µg, 0.5 ml): 1 month (28 days) apart
Persons should not be scheduled to receive the second dose earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, second doses administered within a grace period of 4 days earlier than the recommended date for the second dose are still considered valid. Doses inadvertently administered earlier than the grace period should not be repeated.

The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, if it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, the second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may be scheduled for administration up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose. There are currently limited data on efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered beyond this window. If the second dose is administered beyond these intervals, there is no need to restart the series.

seabreezept813

Amen. I find it beyond the pale that we have been clamoring for schools to reopen, and don’t include teachers priority subset. Also shouldn’t be too difficult for the school district to work with their jurisdictions health authority to secure doses and set up a vaccination clinic..
We are so far down the line in MA and yet have so many cases from schools.. it makes no sense.

Lilofan

The vaccines are allocated to the states based on population so if many people from outside of FL went to FL instead of getting it in their home state then FL would have less doses for people who actually live there. It has nothing to do with cost, it’s about scarcity of the vaccine supply.

The specific post I was replying to had a quote of a question asked to the governor if he would give priority to full time FL residents over snow birds. As far as I know that was never the plan, just a question in a press briefing.
Governor DeSantis would never give priority to full time FL residents. The snowbirds from all over the world help fuel the billion dollar economy of FL tourism of his state. Both groups will try to get those coveted first come first serve and or apply for an appt.

seabreezept813

I think that’s the case across the board these days. Essential workers are getting sick a lot due to the high levels of community spread. the original CDC list put essential workers ahead of 65-74 and people at higher risk from medical conditions. I believe the shift to move the higher risk groups ahead is based on hospitalizations and deaths. If you vaccinate the higher risk people as quickly as possible that should severely lower the number of hospitalizations and also deaths. It’s a tough call. A 25 year old healthy teacher or grocery store clerk or factory worker who has more exposure from work but is also more likely to have a positive outcome vs a 74 year old who is retired so doesn’t need to go out for work but is high risk for a severe case if they are infected.
Which I totally get except that most teachers actually don’t fall in that 25 with no risks category at least where I work. And our district made no exceptions for anyone high risk. So I teach in the building despite the fact that I’m pregnant with a clotting history. We have teachers with cancer, diabetes, etc all working so it’s certainly been a tough year. At the same time, I want my dad to be vaccinated before me—he’s 65 and has cancer. I’m just kind of sickened by the push to open schools with hundreds of people in them daily when there are rules about gathering in your house with 10 people. Or eating out has to be 25% capacity, but shove kids in a cafeteria to eat lunch together. There’s just this attitude that schools don’t have the same risk factors as other places..and then add to that the low priority to vaccinate school staff. I see it leading to a major teacher shortage down the road.

seabreezept813

They basically did that in my county. Teachers are in 1b but they were planning to do them first before 75+ and other essential workers, essentially the first to go after medical workers and nursing homes. Basically roll it out through schools like they did at hospitals for medical workers. They even told the teachers it was likely coming the end of Jan or first week of Feb. Then the CDC and in reaction the state of PA decided to move 65+ and high risk people up and they are now all in 1a with medical and nursing homes. The problem is that in a county of 800,000 people 250,000+ people are now in 1a so being at the front of 1b now means they go in a month or 2 if we are lucky :(

I think the recent surge in hospitalizations and deaths is what lead to the change. I saw a projection that we would hit 500K deaths by mid Feb. Hospitalizations finally appear to be going down across the country but were reaching critical levels a lot of places.
Ya I’m in MA we’ve been in the lowest part of Tier B since the beginning. I could live with that if the state weren’t threatening any districts that go remote because of outbreaks or forcing new guidelines on us to stream every class after finally getting kids adjusted to hybrid learning. What’s so insane lately is that teachers are now having to use personal sick time to quarantine so it’s crazy, people are going without pay if their kid gets sick or exposed. It’s just been so poorly handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom