Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

That's means in plain English - No.

1611338975597.png

sullyinMT

And so it begins. Won't be surprised if the other liners, including DCL, follow suit
I hope they do. I’d be more comfortable on a ship knowing we were all vaccinated. It also theoretically allows for a better chance of more activities and theaters to exist. Saga caters to 50+, but even if nations in the Caribbean or the CDC mandate 16/18+, it goes a long way to reducing risk of meaningful outbreaks. Especially if mask mandates are enforced in youth clubs. One of the EO’s signed yesterday paved the way for digital vaccine passports, so compliance would become very easy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At the 12/22 press conference re: the announcement of adding +65 in FL, he was specifically asked the following:

“For snowbird season, are full-time residents going to have priority over people that might live elsewhere than here?”

He was unable to provide an answer, and the question caught him off guard. My husband and I were both watching the presser, and weren’t surprised that he hadn’t thought his decision all the way through.
Why would snowbirds who own a house in FL have any less priority than someone who lives there year round? In theory if a person spends half the year in FL and half the year in NY and as a result has less priority in FL then should they also have less priority in NY since they don’t spend the full year there either? I can understand restricting out of state people from traveling to FL just to get the vaccine but I see no reason to restrict real snow birds from getting it there.

oceanbreeze77

Why would snowbirds who own a house in FL have any less priority than someone who lives there year round? In theory if a person spends half the year in FL and half the year in NY and as a result has less priority in FL then should they also have less priority in NY since they don’t spend the full year there either? I can understand restricting out of state people from traveling to FL just to get the vaccine but I see no reason to restrict real snow birds from getting it there.
how would anyone know the difference?

Disney Experience

The current administration announced ( I believe at yesterdays press briefing) that they are planning on 1 million vaccine doses per day for the first hundred days, while they stated that the past administration only administered 500,000 doses per day on average.

Both statements are generally true. But the implied inference is deceiving in that many people will think that the one million doses a day will be substantially ( literally double) more than what was done in the recent past. Rather the current ( as others here have provided the numbers for) situation is already near 1 million doses per day. The doses per day have already been going up , and started at zero. So yes during this startup period it averaged 500,000. But it was the startup . A better comparison would be the period right before the hundred days start. Better yet just communicate the goal and do it. Do not use an “average” of the startup to inflate the value of the goal that is set. As other have said I personally think they will substantially exceed that goal since we are already there. The goal and subsequent exceeding it should be enough rather than the misuse of average of a ramp up .

But they seem to need to imply through the use of an average for comparison ( vs using current) they will do it better. Maybe they will. I would hope so. But the use of comparison in this case reminds me of people misusing statistics to further a political goal rather than a pure motivational goal setting.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The CDC released data on the Moderna vaccine through Jan 10. Out of over 4 million people who received the vaccine just 10 suffered from anaphylaxis or a rate of 2.5 per million. No deaths and half did not even require being admitted to the hospital. 9 out of 10 presented symptoms in the first 30 minutes and also 9 out of 10 had a history of allergic reactions. Seems like the safety is damn good. For argument sake if every single American was vaccinated that would amount to a little over 800 cases of anaphylaxis. Seems like a great trade off considering it’s been months since we have had a day with less than 800 deaths from Covid.

Disney Experience

The CDC released data on the Moderna vaccine through Jan 10. Out of over 4 million people who received the vaccine just 10 suffered from anaphylaxis or a rate of 2.5 per million. No deaths and half did not even require being admitted to the hospital. 9 out of 10 presented symptoms in the first 30 minutes and also 9 out of 10 had a history of allergic reactions. Seems like the safety is damn good. For argument sake if every single American was vaccinated that would amount to a little over 800 cases of anaphylaxis. Seems like a great trade off considering it’s been months since we have had a day with less than 800 deaths from Covid.

Those number are getting closer to the flu shot.
Flu vaccines contain various components that may cause allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. In a Vaccine Safety Datalink study, there were 10 cases of anaphylaxis after more than 7.4 million doses of inactivated flu vaccine, trivalent (IIV3) given without other vaccines, (rate of 1.35 per one million doses).

Polkadotdress

Agreed that snowbird or not, it doesn’t matter. But, at the time, FL was the only state authorizing +65, so the fact that he didn’t clearly answer, left it open for ANYONE to arrive in FL to get the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
also if they just show a utility bill, that's enough.
Agreed that snowbird or not, it doesn’t matter. But, at the time, FL was the only state authorizing +65, so the fact that he didn’t clearly answer, left it open for ANYONE to arrive in FL to get the vaccine.
Yes, in the beginning it was a bit of a free for all. Now that they clarified the rules and are requiring ID or other proof of actual FL residency it’s not an issue. Ramp up was slow anyway so the number of people who actually were able to sneak in was probably minimal. As they expand to pharmacies and more distribution sites it’s more critical to have better controls, as long as the controls don’t slow the process down. Simple proof of residency takes a about 30 secs to check. Problem solved.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Technically, the vaccines are paid for with federal tax dollars, so the only residency requirement should be that you live in the US. Anecdotally, I don't know anyone who is trying to stop snowbirds from getting a vaccine. It is the people flying in from other countries that are causing the complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom