Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

MileZXO

I'm not opposed to this as a UK resident that comes to WDW every other year and that my wife finds our own history boring let alone another countries. I love history but I'm happy to have it made a little more fun for the wife.

Vegas Disney Fan

So would the new president make a speech still? Or would the Muppets eat into the time allotted for that?
The controversy surrounding the sitting Presidents speech is what they are trying to get away from.

I think the shows fine as is, at most just change the speaking role to someone like Washington (or eliminate it) and just have the current President stand when announced like the rest. It’s sad that we are so divided as a nation that an animatronic giving a speech requires security, causes boycotts and threats, etc but that’s unfortunately the political climate we live in.

If I ran WDW I’d eliminate the speech too, it’s an easy problem to avoid.

gerarar

Premium Member
I really like the last 8 minutes (or so) of the current show when they start the montage from the Great World War. The music, the narration, the key speeches/highlights from the Presidents....I don’t know. It’s just really works. When I first saw it December ‘19, I couldn’t stop thinking about that last sequence/finale.

I wouldn’t mind if they keep the current iteration and just add the new President in the end with their speech. The role call should definitely not go away. I think highlighting each President AA is key to the show.

Disneyson

I'm glad this isn't touching American Adventure - which overall is an odd move because the themed restaurant that ought to connect is right next door?

I think that with the internet and the wide breadth of opinions now, HoP needs to be either removed (it was never my favorite, so long as Lincoln stays in DL and AA stays, albeit hopefully updated, in EPCOT) or treated in a way that matches the rest of the Magic Kingdom, which as a whole (aside from HoP) does not intend to offer "edutainment attractions". It's almost more on-theme for the park for this to occur than not.

I think that there are two concerns here, that have been listed throughout the forum:

One: That our political climate has become a little bit more volatile than it has been before. I think this is the reactionary reason this needs to happen soon, but it certainly isn't a bad reason. I think this attraction is noble, and I don't mind seeing ALL of the presidents, whether or not I like them, because they tell the story of our country's fabric. But I also think that there seems to be a trend towards less and less guests feeling that way - and I think that honestly, this would be a good way to at least partially distract from the politics and, most importantly, keep cast members operating this attraction safe.

Two: As MileZXO implies, Walt Disney World has focused more and more on being a global draw than it used to be. Many people globally may be interested in seeing a story about America's history in the context of, say, a World Showcase, but may be a little more disappointed when said attraction is sandwiched between The Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan's Flight. While I appreciate the attraction and, moreso than anything, the Walt-ness of it, I think that making the attraction more visual and less about dynamic paintings may help this. Not to say that I don't like dynamic paintings -- it's just that many who do not speak English may be lost or bored in the show in a way that I think American Adventure doesn't suffer from.

Some of the most revered Muppets stories have been set in the 1800s, and so I understand if the attraction allows the Muppets to live in the 1700s. I like this as an idea for a Disney+ show ala Drunk History... I just don't know how they can blend this tone in with the reveal of the presidents. I wonder if there is some trick they have in mind with the Muppets to keep the audience from booing. Will Statler and Waldorf heckle ALL of the presidents? Who knows.

A dangerous idea, methinks.

Giss Neric

Oh hell no. I don't want more kids in the Hall of Presidents even though they think it's boring anyways.

I want to think that by adding muppets they could improve the foot traffic in that attraction but for once let full grown people have their own attraction.

Phicinfan

Ok...if this is true...it is the most blatant PR political punt in Disney history...

And THAT is harder to get than Olympic gold
I know this isn't popular, but if done right, this could be a great move by Disney.
They need to get out of the political area - and focus on just sharing the history. By adding in Muppets, and focusing ONLY on the list and significance of particular presidencies, you eliminate the whole political time bomb. Or should be able to. I get Muppets are not a great "IP" as far as sales, they are very popular to fans. I loved the outside stuff they did before, so I think this could work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know this isn't popular, but if done right, this could be a great move by Disney.
They need to get out of the political area - and focus on just sharing the history. By adding in Muppets, and focusing ONLY on the list and significance of particular presidencies, you eliminate the whole political time bomb. Or should be able to. I get Muppets are not a great "IP" as far as sales, they are very popular to fans. I loved the outside stuff they did before, so I think this could work.

Reserve judgement on the concept...but the reasoning is crystal clear

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or we just go back to the format that worked for 22 years. A speaking Clinton worked back then but society doesn’t seem to be able to control itself nowedays.

Disney thought about that...but did this instead:

1610718168444.jpeg

donaldfan

Dickens’ story is one of the most classic and adapted stories in all of literature. It is pretty accessible as is, Muppets or not.

I didn’t say anything about the number of adaptations. But Gonzo as the narrator for example makes it more accessible then other versions. Multiple adaptations doesn’t necessarily make it accessible. ;-)

SteamboatJoe

As a Muppets fan, I will always be excited when there is discussion of expanding their parks presence.

As a WDW fan, it's always very difficult to lose an original, opening day attraction (even if it has been modified like this one has).

As an American, I am sad that society has practically necessitated this kind of change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom