Iger to leave and become an Ambassador

Indy_UK

I’m a big Iger fan. He is an amazing businessman who has easily set up Disney for the next 20- 30 years.
What peoples issue is that your not going to ever get a CEO who really loves the parks unless you have someone who’s worked up their whole career through the parks, and those people will be hard to come by. Theme parks make a lot of money but they also cost a lot to run and maintain.

Miru

Remember, Iger, when he started out, was actually pretty good for the company. This is effectively Eisner all over again. Starts with unprecedented growth; then enters a period of dubious moral choices that taint their career.

Brer Panther

Remember, Iger, when he started out, was actually pretty good for the company. This is effectively Eisner all over again. Starts with unprecedented growth; then enters a period of dubious moral choices that taint their career.
Yeah, Iger is blatantly just Eisner 2.0.

Haymarket

What dubious moral choices? I’m not being sarcastic: I’m actually ignorant about what they are.

lazyboy97o

Not really. He's more been a continuation of Eisner's later years. He kept many of the people considered toxic under Eisner. He just doesn't have Eisner's more publicly explosive temperament.

Miru

Not really. He's more been a continuation of Eisner's later years. He kept many of the people considered toxic under Eisner. He just doesn't have Eisner's more publicly explosive temperament.
I noticed the TV division kept suffering until around 2015 or so.

TwilightZone

Yep, I'm still an Iger fan in the long run due to this. His later choices were questionable, but his start was EXCEPTIONAL. People forget the magnitude of how bad Eisner's later years was and how good Iger's first efforts were. Oswald, strengthening relationships with Pixar, strengthening the animation team, Disney California Adventure remodel, the revival of disney TV animation. Heck, I kinda consider his later efforts to be better than Eisner's due to disney+ even though the parks are clearly suffering. However, he wasn't fast enough to catch up with Universal in terms of the parks, there was some clear failures in the TV front especially (DisneyXD comes to mind the most, alongside the muppets reboot that happened in the 2010s), poor/too many buy outs with no clear direction (though star wars is starting to strengthen with Mandalorian), and undoing all his good park efforts. The clearest sign of his faults was early on with the endless Frozen storm, you just couldn't escape it for many years and you can tell by people's reactions to the announcement of Frozen Ever After and the Olaf short that played before Coco for a bit. But even after everything, I still respect him for fixing the company after a horrible rough patch, Iger to me is still better than Eisner and I will stand by that.

Brer Oswald

Yep, I'm still an Iger fan in the long run due to this. His later choices were questionable, but his start was EXCEPTIONAL. People forget the magnitude of how bad Eisner's later years was and how good Iger's first efforts were. Oswald, strengthening relationships with Pixar, strengthening the animation team, Disney California Adventure remodel, the revival of disney TV animation. Heck, I kinda consider his later efforts to be better than Eisner's due to disney+ even though the parks are clearly suffering. However, he wasn't fast enough to catch up with Universal in terms of the parks, there was some clear failures in the TV front especially (DisneyXD comes to mind the most, alongside the muppets reboot that happened in the 2010s), poor/too many buy outs with no clear direction (though star wars is starting to strengthen with Mandalorian), and undoing all his good park efforts. The clearest sign of his faults was early on with the endless Frozen storm, you just couldn't escape it for many years and you can tell by people's reactions to the announcement of Frozen Ever After and the Olaf short that played before Coco for a bit. But even after everything, I still respect him for fixing the company after a horrible rough patch, Iger to me is still better than Eisner and I will stand by that.
I won’t give him much, if any, credit for Oswald. The character was acquired solely for the purpose of Warren Spector’s Mickey Mouse project, which became the video game, Epic Mickey. It was a modest success, and the company rushed out a sequel that bombed.

What was the response? Throw the Oswald character in the vault, and no more committing to video games. They had the potential to truly break into another entertainment medium, and they cowered after one failure.

The company has been terrified of risk taking under Iger’s leadership. That’s his legacy to me. It’s not solely his fault, but he’s the chief decision maker.

“But what about Pixar? That was a risk.” Well, not really. Every Pixar film at that point had been a modest to smashing success. Buying up popular film properties will never be anything more than a “calculated risk”. There’s almost a guaranteed ROI on these purchases.

Playing it safe. It’s absolutely nothing worth praising by fans. But it provided financial security that they needed for this harsh time period. Who knows what could have happened to Disney if they didn’t have Iger’s safe money right now.

The Grand Inquisitor

Robbiem

I won’t give him much, if any, credit for Oswald. The character was acquired solely for the purpose of Warren Spector’s Mickey Mouse project, which became the video game, Epic Mickey. It was a modest success, and the company rushed out a sequel that bombed.

What was the response? Throw the Oswald character in the vault, and no more committing to video games. They had the potential to truly break into another entertainment medium, and they cowered after one failure.

The company has been terrified of risk taking under Iger’s leadership. That’s his legacy to me. It’s not solely his fault, but he’s the chief decision maker.

“But what about Pixar? That was a risk.” Well, not really. Every Pixar film at that point had been a modest to smashing success. Buying up popular film properties will never be anything more than a “calculated risk”. There’s almost a guaranteed ROI on these purchases.

Playing it safe. It’s absolutely nothing worth praising by fans. But it provided financial security that they needed for this harsh time period. Who knows what could have happened to Disney if they didn’t have Iger’s safe money right now.

I agree completely. Its wasn’t just pixar which Iger played safe with look at the endless live action remakes, the way the star wars sequels were basically remakes or the IP focused mandate for the parks. Imagine what a more risk taking Disney could have done over the past 20 years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom