Iger to leave and become an Ambassador

seascape

Original Poster
I know this may appear to be political but it's not. Bob Iger is being considered for an Ambassadors post to either China or England. I wish him the best but China would be the best post for him but cause some problems for Disney. If he became Ambassador to China, how would it look if China allowed Disney+ into the country. Disney is loved in China and likely will be the first foreign streaming service allowed in China but it would look like Iger negotiated something in his personal interest. Therefore, I hope he gets the UK Ambassadorship.

Robbiem

As a brit if this is true I’d wish for the reverse. The UK / US special relationship will be strained enough under the new president and Iger isn't really known or respected here. Most people only know him from the prince harry ‘my wife does voiceovers’ discussion from a few years back where he came across quite wrong. His dealings in China would give him some knowledge of Chinese government and background to work with so he’d be better placed there IMO.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iger was already slated to leave the company completely in 2021 anyways. So the title of this thread is a little click-baity.

Whether UK or China, Iger has good business relations that easily transition to diplomatic relations due to global trade being a high priority. Being that China is a huge global player no matter where in the political spectrum you fall on, I see Iger having more of an impact there. The US needs better relations with China not an adversarial one.

In fact I would say that Iger getting a China diplomatic post would do more for stamping out IP theft than anything related to D+. Getting China to recognize and follow the WTO IP Protections would likely be a primary goal of any future diplomat, and Iger would be good person for that.

seascape

Original Poster
Iger was already slated to leave the company completely in 2021 anyways. So the title of this thread is a little click-baity.

Whether UK or China, Iger has good business relations that easily transition to diplomatic relations due to global trade being a high priority. Being that China is a huge global player no matter where in the political spectrum you fall on, I see Iger having more of an impact there. The US needs better relations with China not an adversarial one.

In fact I would say that Iger getting a China diplomatic post would do more for stamping out IP theft than anything related to D+. Getting China to recognize and follow the WTO IP Protections would likely be a primary goal of any future diplomat, and Iger would be good person for that.
I completely disagree with you on China but we can't go into politics but can stick to the business aspects of this. Iger proven he will cave into anything the Chinese asked to keep them happy so Disney could continue to business in China. He failed to back up the Hong Kong protesters. He has never come out against the Chinese slavery. He only cared about short term profits from China. As a Disney stockholder I understand why he did what he did but I disagree with it. I believe that the Chinese people love Disney and that Disney actually has the upper hand now that they have parks in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The Chinese people also love the Marvel and Disney movies based on their yearly box office results. Iger didn't need to appease the Communist Government and they could have won anyway. If the Chinese Government kicked Disney out the people would be unhappy and less likely to continue to comply with government dictates.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I completely disagree with you on China but we can't go into politics but can stick to the business aspects of this. Iger proven he will cave into anything the Chinese asked to keep them happy so Disney could continue to business in China. He failed to back up the Hong Kong protesters. He has never come out against the Chinese slavery. He only cared about short term profits from China. As a Disney stockholder I understand why he did what he did but I disagree with it. I believe that the Chinese people love Disney and that Disney actually has the upper hand now that they have parks in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The Chinese people also love the Marvel and Disney movies based on their yearly box office results. Iger didn't need to appease the Communist Government and they could have won anyway. If the Chinese Government kicked Disney out the people would be unhappy and less likely to continue to comply with government dictates.
You have to disconnect Iger’s actions as a Disney CEO with Iger as a potential diplomat. Iger as a diplomat would serve at the pleasure of the President that appoints him, in this case Biden, not the shareholders. In this case he can’t do anything without the approval of the President.

The problem here to me is you’re clouded by the “politics”. So we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this. But to me Iger would be an appropriate diplomatic appointee to China.

Robbiem

This isn’t very classy at all. First Bob Iger says I could have been president or mayor of new york or a senator but ‘my wife didnt like the idea’, then he says he wants to be in the cabinet gets no response then he wants to be an ambassador it smacks of desperation a bit to me you can almost view him pleading to Biden for a job.

Have some class Bob, youre a business man not a politician if you want to do good be like Bill Gates rather than seeking another position of power

Robbiem

Uh, not a good example there.
Must admit I’m not sure what you are getting at? Didn’t mean to make any political points, sorry if I did. All I meant was if Bob I wants to do good he could start a charity to help other less fortunate people rather than feed his ego and be a politician. If you want a good example look at what Roger Moore did in his later years a truly good person who used his fame to help children

Slpy3270

Must admit I’m not sure what you are getting at? Didn’t mean to make any political points, sorry if I did. All I meant was if Bob I wants to do good he could start a charity to help other less fortunate people rather than feed his ego and be a politician. If you want a good example look at what Roger Moore did in his later years a truly good person who used his fame to help children
Bill Gates helped turn Silicon Valley into a boys club that stiffled competition (remember when the government fined them billions for their monopolistic practices?) and pandered to dictatorships everywhere, slowly destroying freedom worldwide.

And don't even get me started with his ties to wealthy pedos like Epstein.

Robbiem

Bill Gates helped turn Silicon Valley into a boys club that stiffled competition (remember when the government fined them billions for their monopolistic practices?) and pandered to dictatorships everywhere, slowly destroying freedom worldwide.

And don't even get me started with his ties to wealthy pedos like Epstein.
Thanks. I was just thinking about his vaccination work in the third world but you’re right there’s another side I hadn’t thought about

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom