The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Been there... almost did that. Decided to skip that last part. Sepsis is one nasty thing. It comes on as quick as a bolt of lightening and you don't even know what is happening, but it doesn't feel good physically or mentally.

I caught all kinds of criticism because I drove myself to the ER, 23 miles away. When I left home all I had was a pain in my side that I guessed, due to having one before, was a kidney stone. So I headed on up. About 10 miles away it kicked in. My body started to shake top to bottom, it was 85 degrees outside but I started to feel so chilled that I even turned my car heater up to maximum (didn't help). Because every muscle in my body was shaking constantly the only way I could drive was to grab the steering wheel and push myself back into the seat to obtain a sturdy grip on the wheel. The shaking also got me so winded that I thought my lungs were going to burst, I was breathing so hard. I thought about pulling over and calling 911, but I also was convinced that by the time an ambulance got to me, I would be dead, so I kept pushing on.

Luckily this was 1am and there was no traffic. I got to the ER found a place to park my car, walked in and no one even asked my why I was there or my name. They just grabbed me by the arm and hauled me in to the inside. They thought I was having a heart attack but within a few minutes it was diagnosed as sepsis. They immediately hit me with massive anti-biotics and within a little while the shaking and chills had stopped and they were able to determine that it was being caused by the kidney stone that I had thought was there to begin with. The Doctors, of course, gave me a 'come to Jesus meeting' for driving there, but also ended that scolding with "but, you probably would have died waiting for an ambulance".

My advice is DON'T GET SEPSIS. Now I only wish I could tell you how to avoid it.
I remember when you mentioned to us that this happened (within the past 2 years, can't exactly recall when). Sepsis is nothing to mess around with, and thank God you were o.k. It is good that you shared this again, as people need to be aware of the symptoms, etc. Again, glad you're o.k.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Been there... almost did that. Decided to skip that last part. Sepsis is one nasty thing. It comes on as quick as a bolt of lightening and you don't even know what is happening, but it doesn't feel good physically or mentally.

I caught all kinds of criticism because I drove myself to the ER, 23 miles away. When I left home all I had was a pain in my side that I guessed, due to having one before, was a kidney stone. So I headed on up. About 10 miles away it kicked in. My body started to shake top to bottom, it was 85 degrees outside but I started to feel so chilled that I even turned my car heater up to maximum (didn't help). Because every muscle in my body was shaking constantly the only way I could drive was to grab the steering wheel and push myself back into the seat to obtain a sturdy grip on the wheel. The shaking also got me so winded that I thought my lungs were going to burst, I was breathing so hard. I thought about pulling over and calling 911, but I also was convinced that by the time an ambulance got to me, I would be dead, so I kept pushing on.

Luckily this was 1am and there was no traffic. I got to the ER found a place to park my car, walked in and no one even asked my why I was there or my name. They just grabbed me by the arm and hauled me in to the inside. They thought I was having a heart attack but within a few minutes it was diagnosed as sepsis. They immediately hit me with massive anti-biotics and within a little while the shaking and chills had stopped and they were able to determine that it was being caused by the kidney stone that I had thought was there to begin with. The Doctors, of course, gave me a 'come to Jesus meeting' for driving there, but also ended that scolding with "but, you probably would have died waiting for an ambulance".

My advice is DON'T GET SEPSIS. Now I only wish I could tell you how to avoid it.
Sepsis is awful. Several years ago, there was an Indian woman in Ireland who was having a miscarriage, but it wasn't complete. She died because they weren't allowed to intervene because the fetus had not been completely expelled and it would be considered abortion, which is illegal there. She got sepsis and passed. Such a tragic thing and it sounds like Sepsis can kind of come out of nowhere from any little thing. You don't think about things like kidney stones or UTIs being deadly, but if your body can't get rid of the toxins itself, it poisons you. So sad. I'm so glad you made it to the hospital!

StarWarsGirl

Do you not mean you got some new packing cubes that came with free trainers 😉
i dont think so the incredibles GIF

Goofyernmost

Sepsis is awful. Several years ago, there was an Indian woman in Ireland who was having a miscarriage, but it wasn't complete. She died because they weren't allowed to intervene because the fetus had not been completely expelled and it would be considered abortion, which is illegal there. She got sepsis and passed. Such a tragic thing and it sounds like Sepsis can kind of come out of nowhere from any little thing. You don't think about things like kidney stones or UTIs being deadly, but if your body can't get rid of the toxins itself, it poisons you. So sad. I'm so glad you made it to the hospital!
Me too!

Goofyernmost

I remember when you mentioned to us that this happened (within the past 2 years, can't exactly recall when). Sepsis is nothing to mess around with, and thank God you were o.k. It is good that you shared this again, as people need to be aware of the symptoms, etc. Again, glad you're o.k.
Just about two years ago in August, if I remember correctly. There was some speculation that it might have contributed to the nodule malfunction that caused me to need a Pacemaker last September. I don't even remember what my heart rate was at the time I think the number was to high to remember. The doctors said that it probably didn't appear to bother it right away, but weakened it until it started to fail. I was 70 years old at the time. That old pump had been pumping for a long time. So the damn thing tried to get me twice. Even though that particular comment from them was merely theory, again, I can't say it often enough, Sepsis is a very bad thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom