News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not at liberty to say. But think about the route and what they didn’t have to deal with in 1991.
Gators?

Also I should have rephrased... Disney can invent a “safety” issue for anything they feel like. But the trains can operate safely in reverse with passengers.

Disney put electric starters on the steam locomotives for “safety” so no doubt they’ll come up with something.

SilentWindODoom

I imagine it's the roadway that goes past at the track level. It's got a lot of warning lights one wouldn't see while going backwards and it's on the stretch that isn't involved in either of the routes the train has gone backwards on.

To be fair, the park was much less crowded back then. Even if they wanted to do it, it would probably turn into a discovery river boat situation since there would only be 1 train set.

I agree that It’s a real shame the train has been down for over 2 years now and it’s looking like it could be 3 or even close to 4 years until it’s operating again. :(

A situation where people think that a transportation method is a highly themed Jungle Cruise-style experience?

TrainsOfDisney

I imagine it's the roadway that goes past at the track level. It's got a lot of warning lights one wouldn't see while going backwards and it's on the stretch that isn't involved in either of the routes the train has gone backwards on.
Trains shove through grade crossings all the time. Including at WDW, with guests.

(There is a grade crossing in between Toontown and the roundhouse).

Question... who at the WDW RR is qualified to make a shove move? Conductors? engine crew? Maintenance? A mix of the above?

I’m not sure if the wdw rr conductors are “real” conductors and can perform shove moves, brake tests, etc.

SilentWindODoom

Guests waiting a very long time for a short shuttle ride.

Ahh... I was confused because the primary thing I think of with that attraction was the misconception of its role leading to guest anger at what they saw as a bait and switch.

Trains shove through grade crossings all the time. Including at WDW, with guests.

(There is a grade crossing in between Toontown and the roundhouse).

Question... who at the WDW RR is qualified to make a shove move? Conductors? engine crew? Maintenance? A mix of the above?

I’m not sure if the wdw rr conductors are “real” conductors and can perform shove moves, brake tests, etc.

Hmm... The only one I see is a pair of small pedestrian pathways by Space. The ones on the stretch never before used are the route used by the parade floats. That could be a recipe for disaster. Certainly you could make sure no trains moved during the parades' crossing, although it could be enough of a possible risk that the rule is just to never, ever do it.

But right now, with the cavalcade system, floats and vehicles are coming through there at a much more regular pace, so you'd have to intersperse vehicles and trains and it's likely just too much of a risk.

TrainsOfDisney

Hmm... The only one I see is a pair of small pedestrian pathways by Space. The ones on the stretch never before used are the route used by the parade floats. That could be a recipe for disaster. Certainly you could make sure no trains moved during the parades' crossing, although it could be enough of a possible risk that the rule is just to never, ever do it.

I was talking about the grade crossing outside of the park. “Between toontown and the roundhouse.”

Captain Barbossa

Modern day safety reasons and ops won't allow it.

There’s a safety consideration that prevents the train running backwards on the route section unaffected by TRON.
^^^^^^^
This is what I’ve been trying to get people to understand for nearly two years now.

Running backwards from Fantasyland to Frontierland? Fine, at least I think it is. But running backwards from Frontierland to Main Street is a completely different animal when compared to running backwards from Fantasyland to Frontierland, or from Main Street to Fantasyland like they did when Splash was being built.

I try, but it goes through one ear and out the other.

TrainsOfDisney

^^^^^^^
This is what I’ve been trying to get people to understand for nearly two years now.

Running backwards from Fantasyland to Frontierland? Fine, at least I think it is. But running backwards from Frontierland to Main Street is a completely different animal when compared to running backwards from Fantasyland to Frontierland, or from Main Street to Fantasyland like they did when Splash was being built.

I try, but it goes through one ear and out the other.
Well... use your words. What’s so different?

The 2 grade crossings? The tunnels?

TrainsOfDisney

How about the grade crossing that occurs just after a tunnel (the parade crossing) that visibility would probably be difficult.
Yes... that could be a reason. Especially since stopping for the crossing could stop the locomotive in the tunnel which is very problematic.

(I’ve personally seen club 33 evacuated because a Disneyland train ran a signal and was e-stopped right outside of New Orleans Station... the locomotive tripped the sprinklers in the small tunnel and set off the fire alarm in club 33 above them.)

Of course where there’s a will there’s a way... you’d just have to have the crossing “flagged” before the train left Frontierland.

Again I’m not saying any of this would be worth it... just saying it’s possible.

TTA94

How about they just make the Tron area safe enough to pass the train by and get it opened by October? I’m sure they can put up a temporary tunnel of some sort.

SilentWindODoom

I was talking about the grade crossing outside of the park. “Between toontown and the roundhouse.”

Wow. My brain completely misread that. I saw "roundhouse" and was imagining the theming of the circus station and saw "town" and was imagining Main Street. My brain sometimes jumps too quickly and fills in gaps/extrapolates.

Then again, it took me a moment to realize "shove" meant "go backwards".

Looking at that crossing, though, holy crap! Three lanes of traffic (including a turning lane) with seemingly no indication? Do they have cast members or police go out and block the road when the train's going through, or just blow the whistle like crazy? That looks insane.

The float issue is the only thing I can think of that would be a reason Martin couldn't be specific about due to it being a backstage function. Although it could also have to do with the death of a cast member involved with a float that if I recall correctly was near the Frontierland crossing. But is @Captain Barbossa beholden to the same secrecy, because he seems to know for sure so it would be helpful to just spit it out.

EDIT: Op! Checked street view and there are arms and lights. They're just nigh invisible in the satellite view. Although I suppose a CM has to be out there to open that gate.

gerarar

Premium Member
BlogMickey finally got some photos of the sealed off entrance/exit to the ride building:
B99CB128-145F-4147-B7F7-E4619D34526C.jpeg

Source and more pictures here:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom