News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Surferboy567

I still think it is so stupid to halt construction on this.

I guess it’s better for them in the short term capital expenditure wise due to COVID. It just seems smart to get this open especially for an anniversary that I guess has nothing. Unless Galactic Starcruiser or Guardians opens.

EDIT: How much work do they even still have to do on this to get open? It doesn’t seem like it is much. Maybe I am misjudging though? Assuming the canopy is done.

Last edited:

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
The material being used appears to be an Alucobond type panel. Rather than speculating that the entrance is going to be sealed up indefinitely. It is just as likely that the piece will be cut open later, as the most likely ornate opening will require a more precise operation that the installers of the panels (who just screw it down are not capable of doing). Or they are unable to cut the opening because the inside of the building is not ready or framed out accept an opening cut in the exterior cladding.

gerarar

Premium Member
The material being used appears to be an Alucobond type panel. Rather than speculating that the entrance is going to be sealed up indefinitely. It is just as likely that the piece will be cut open later, as the most likely ornate opening will require a more precise operation that the installers of the panels (who just screw it down are not capable of doing). Or they are unable to cut the opening because the inside of the building is not ready or framed out accept an opening cut in the exterior cladding.
Was the original version (Shanghai) sealed up like ours for a time being? That can give clues if they’re deviating from the previous construction methods/process or not.

monothingie

Premium Member
Was the original version (Shanghai) sealed up like ours for a time being? That can give clues if they’re deviating from the previous construction methods/process or not.

The portal in china is a much larger opening. Quite frankly if doesn't make sense to use the exterior cladding as a temporary cover, because to have the finishing people come back is much more expensive than erecting a a temporary barrier in the finished opening.

It is just as likely that portal is simply not ready to be cut out yet.

Rteetz

It does make sense. They put up the structure to protect the track from the elements. Its a financial thing. Kick as much cost down the road for now.
No it really doesn’t make sense. 2021 theoretically should start to pick up and they should be able to open more as the virus gets under control with vaccine roll outs. Shutting down construction for most of 2021 does not make sense especially when you have a highly anticipated anniversary in October. Halt new projects no doubt but stopping ones they are in the middle of like this just seems incredibly dumb.

Jrb1979

No it really doesn’t make sense. 2021 theoretically should start to pick up and they should be able to open more as the virus gets under control with vaccine roll outs. Shutting down construction for most of 2021 does not make sense especially when you have a highly anticipated anniversary in October. Halt new projects no doubt but stopping ones they are in the middle of like this just seems incredibly dumb.
It may seem dumb. For a highly anticipated anniversary they have been very quiet about it. For what many have been saying they expect 2021 to be similar to this year. Its going to be at least fall before the majority are vaccinated. Maybe if things pick up attendance wise and resorts filling then they continue construction sooner. It all depends on how things go

Jones14

It may seem dumb. For a highly anticipated anniversary they have been very quiet about it. For what many have been saying they expect 2021 to be similar to this year. Its going to be at least fall before the majority are vaccinated. Maybe if things pick up attendance wise and resorts filling then they continue construction sooner. It all depends on how things go
I think it just boils down to Ratatouille. If that had opened in 2020, they’d want something else for the start of the anniversary, but they can market that as the 50th’s NEW! attraction since it’s been pushed to next year.

lazyboy97o

The canopy is being built now to protect all the stuff piled up outside.

It does make sense. They put up the structure to protect the track from the elements. Its a financial thing. Kick as much cost down the road for now.
The canopy does not offer any real protection. It’s more that the easiest way to store the canopy is for it so be assembled, especially after work on it started.
I still think it is so stupid to halt construction on this.

I guess it’s better for them in the short term capital expenditure wise due to COVID. It just seems smart to get this open especially for an anniversary that I guess has nothing. Unless Galactic Starcruiser or Guardians opens.

EDIT: How much work do they even still have to do on this to get open? It doesn’t seem like it is much. Maybe I am misjudging though? Assuming the canopy is done.
The building envelope still had sizable gaps until recently meaning there is likely very little done on the inside.

The portal in china is a much larger opening. Quite frankly if doesn't make sense to use the exterior cladding as a temporary cover, because to have the finishing people come back is much more expensive than erecting a a temporary barrier in the finished opening.

It is just as likely that portal is simply not ready to be cut out yet.
An Alucobond panel is a cladding material attached to a substrate. It makes absolutely no sense to waste so much time and money to install and field cut not only the substrate but also the expensive panel.

The exterior is just standard pre-finished insulated metal panels. They just screw onto the steel girts so there are no finishing people involved. Openings are typically factory cut and the arched opening of the portal would be a lot easier to achieve in a factory. Lastly, if the opening was going to be field cut there would be no point in going through the effort to get such a tight fit around the track when all of that is just going to be removed. The tightness of that opening is the big indicator that the panels are there to close up the building.

Rteetz

Money, limited Capacity, reduced cast members, limited hours, it's just not the right time to release several rides is my best guess....
Sure in your busiest and most popular park year after year. This company is mind boggling sometimes. Universal has no problem throwing up a coaster in no time. Disney takes 20 years to build something because it looks better on their books.

monothingie

Premium Member
Sure in your busiest and most popular park year after year. This company is mind boggling sometimes. Universal has no problem throwing up a coaster in no time. Disney takes 20 years to build something because it looks better on their books.
Does Disney typically finance large capital expenditures (given how cheap money is right now)? You figure that they've also probably already spent at least half the cost of the project already as well.

Rteetz

Does Disney typically finance large capital expenditures (given how cheap money is right now)? You figure that they've also probably already spent at least half the cost of the project already as well.
I don’t know the ins and outs of Disney finances. However like you said they have spent quite a bit on the project already? Why not finish it? You can let it sit after that if need be. I definitely understand halting on something that’s not vertical like festival center or universals epic universe but Tron isn’t that.

Seanual757

You are also talking about 2 parks vs a 6 parks and at this point we do not know when Epic will start up again.

s2jrston

Is there an aerial photo that shows the route of the replacement train track? Does it finish the connection with the existing track at the Main Street station?

lazyboy97o

I don’t know the ins and outs of Disney finances. However like you said they have spent quite a bit on the project already? Why not finish it? You can let it sit after that if need be. I definitely understand halting on something that’s not vertical like festival center or universals epic universe but Tron isn’t that.
Finishing it and letting it sit means spending the money now. Finishing the building envelope is a milestone that allows for easy mothballing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom