Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Jrb1979

I wonder what the percentage of old people want the economy shut down and their kids and grandkids out of work. No old people I know and I come in contact with a lot of them... there's always the exception and some are on this forum. There's a lot more people out of work than just CM's at WDW. We haven't even begun to see the repercussions of this. People should prepare themselves.
Its going to get worse and more people will be out of work. Opening the economy fully won't change that. Here is something I seen posted from Canadian perspective but it works the same for every where.

The cause of “lockdown” is the virus
Some businesses are suffering
Even with reduced restrictions bars and restaurants were still suffering.... because there is a pandemic and a majority of customers don’t feel comfortable eating and drinking with strangers.

Opening the economy doesn't change any of that. Most people aren't traveling or going out like they used to due to Covid. It has nothing to do with restrictions

Goofyernmost

No matter what you think or feel, that's a ridiculously reprehensible thing to say.
They don't have any problem wanting me to die to help the economy, so it might be a good idea for none of us to decide who should live and who should die for the almighty dollar. We should all work together to make sure that the fewest possible die. But, that might require a little self-sacrifice, so it won't happen.

drizgirl

They don't have any problem wanting me to die to help the economy, so it might be a good idea for none of us to decide who should live and who should die for the almighty dollar. We should all work together to make sure that the fewest possible die. But, that might require a little self-sacrifice, so it won't happen.
I'm sorry, who is it that said they want you to die?

drizgirl

Its going to get worse and more people will be out of work. Opening the economy fully won't change that. Here is something I seen posted from Canadian perspective but it works the same for every where.

Even with reduced restrictions bars and restaurants were still suffering.... because there is a pandemic and a majority of customers don’t feel comfortable eating and drinking with strangers.

Opening the economy doesn't change any of that. Most people aren't traveling or going out like they used to due to Covid. It has nothing to do with restrictions
It's not that black and white. Of course businesses will struggle from decreased demand if they are allowed to be open. But having less business isn't the same as having no business.

Miss Bella

...and the virus rages on in California.

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, who is it that said they want you to die?
Everyone that will not wear a mask, everyone that will not safely space themselves in crowds, everyone that insists on assembling in groups, everyone that followed their leader, everyone that never even tried to figure out what this actually was and just listened to people that spoke merely to hear themselves talk and all those that made that statement that if we stopped worrying about the elderly and just kept everything working since early in 2020, some even sooner. That is who! Oh, well, it is primarily only older people that are dying, who cares. Everyone has to die sometime. It's just a bad cold or a bad flu, but nothing really different from the ones we get every year. Anything there sound familiar?

drizgirl

Everyone that will not wear a mask, everyone that will not safely space themselves in crowds, everyone that insists on assembling in groups, everyone that followed their leader, everyone that never even tried to figure out what this actually was and just listened to people that spoke merely to hear themselves talk and all those that made that statement that if we stopped worrying about the elderly and just kept everything working since early in 2020, some even sooner. That is who! Oh, well, it is primarily only older people that are dying, who cares. Everyone has to die sometime. It's just a bad cold or a bad flu, but nothing really different from the ones we get every year. Anything there sound familiar?
You're pretty good at reading between the lines and making assumptions.

Every death is tragic. As will be every death caused by the ensuing poverty and delayed medical care.

We saw my own parents (older than you) on Christmas for only the 3rd time since this all started. We stood 10 feet away wearing masks in the cold for an hour. I don't wish them dead. I do wish for people to wear their masks and I wish for businesses to be able to remain open with mitigation and mandatory mask policies. My parents (once again, older than you) have sheltered at home except for medical appointments and have only recently started going to the grocery store in the early morning hours.

They do not wish for everything to be shut down for them.

el_super

Good...now raise the rest of the lockdowns and you'll be living in reality. WDW is a MASSIVE operation and they are unfortunately unable to run at capacity. You know this. There is no comparison and it's a RIDICULOUS argument to say "well WDW has laid of more people, so opening was..." what, bad?

Only as ridiculous as suggesting that lockdowns don't work. Opening up the economy in a pandemic came with a cost that some don't want to acknowledge: lack of control of the pandemic has caused tourism to crater, even when companies have been allowed to reopen. We are seeing the same thing in Vegas now, where restaurants and resort hotels are being forced to closed due to lack of traffic.

Even if you insist on accepting the needless deaths of thousands, from a purely economic perspective, the best solution would have been hard lockdowns long enough to eradicate widespread infection and a plan for contact tracing/control moving forward. This is the same solution many countries have used, to keep the virus in check and reopen their economy. That's the solution that would have helped to build confidence in travel and tourism again, but it wasn't used.

By taking the easy way out, ending lockdowns early, and prioritizing the economy, we've created a scenario where people are comfortable going to their local bars and restaurants, but still nervous to travel. A scenario that is specifically damaging to theme parks.

Healthcare workers have jobs like everyone else. If they have more to do, they'll fill more positions.

They also burn out like many others and stop working. The cost of a nurse has been skyrocketing lately, with some traveling nurses making $10k a week due to the lack of supply. You know who is paying for that? You are.

You have no solution. You'll lockdown until when exactly? We have to start the process of opening, just like WDW did. It doesn't go from 0-100 overnight, but you have to start somewhere. California is just gatekeeping and the costs are real, perhaps not as easy to track as the 2 numbers everyone watches daily.

The lockdowns are necessary at the moment to control the ICU population and can be lifted as soon as the health services industry is no longer overwhelmed or forced to pay extravagant overtime penalties to workers. Disneyland can reopen when cases are on the decline, with most of the necessary services (schools, offices, retail) have reopened. No one needs a $20, made in China, plastic popcorn bucket, in the middle of a national emergency.

Yeah, this means lockdowns don't work. The struggle for people to understand is that it really doesn't matter why they don't work if they are ineffective in the end. You can't "make" people do something they've failed to do repeatedly and the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting it to work.

Lockdowns do seem to be working. The latest lockdowns started three weeks ago and as we are now catching up to the lag, there is a noticeable decline in positivity rates:

1609257502289.png

Have you asked yourself why? Again, not anything you've done well...or your RECENT numbers would be good too.

Looking at the chart above, I'd be really curious to know what you think caused the spike in infections from late October onward. Do you think it just takes younger people longer to get infected? Do note though, that the summer increase seen in the chart above corresponds to the relaxation of lockdowns.

Jrb1979

...and the virus rages on in California.
You know why the virus rages on cause of people. I keep asking this and no one has an answer. WHEN ARE WE GOING TO START BLAMING PEOPLE for the virus raging. We have no one to blame but us for ICUs filling and the Covid spread. I will say this my faith in humanity is nil at this point.

You're pretty good at reading between the lines and making assumptions.

Every death is tragic. As will be every death caused by the ensuing poverty and delayed medical care.

We saw my own parents (older than you) on Christmas for only the 3rd time since this all started. We stood 10 feet away wearing masks in the cold for an hour. I don't wish them dead. I do wish for people to wear their masks and I wish for businesses to be able to remain open with mitigation and mandatory mask policies. My parents (once again, older than you) have sheltered at home except for medical appointments and have only recently started going to the grocery store in the early morning hours.

They do not wish for everything to be shut down for them.

Again businesses would be open if us people followed the guidelines. Doing family gatherings and non essential travel is a good part on why cases keep rising.

Lilofan

... well the 28,000 Cast Members are still laid off. What else needs to be said?
Some furloughed and laid off cast members are savvy enough to advertise their talents for sale with a good amount of customers supporting them in their site - Ear for Each Other.

Ldno

Sad to say, COVID accelerated businesses and corporations into the future, Disney learned from this, hence the heavy focus to streaming, despite state leadership, Disneyland is not the future of the company but clearly WDW is in money making

Recently their park exclusive merchandise dumps on the parks (lightsaber shortages, tiny town collections) everything selling out at 35% capacity is telling me they are testing their waters on how much they can make since they suck at restocking them, a month and a half later everything is still sold out. It’s gotten to the point if you see something you must buy because it’s limited, don’t expect it to last a day or so. Even chasing the famous Tower of terror Minnie ears is impossible after 2 months.

I feel these layoffs will be permanent because Disney is now years ahead of what would had happened to the travel industry, less people heading into the parks and more people spending for entertainment at home than going to your local movie theater.

It goes back on how they have been releasing “free” movies on Disney +, Artemis fowl, Soul, etc they know they blew it so they released them for free, their investors stream solidified this, less pet projects more money making shows.

We were all forced to learn something in this economy to survive, hell I learned CND, CEH and security + courses in the meantime while becoming an e commerce entity on the side, it really is adapt and overcome whatever the costs

Hence avoiding the whole COVID debate here versus what works and what doesn’t, it’s safe to say these changes will be forever engrained in our heads with people paranoid of large gatherings wether or not you travel.

facemasks is the new normal, this weekend I went into Chuck E. Cheese with my kids, it was deserted but later on it got packed with non mask wearing guests and it does make it uncomfortable, rather than saying something I just left, just imagine this on a bigger scale at a theme park when the masks are gone, vaccine or not, people will still feel uncomfortable.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Only as ridiculous as suggesting that lockdowns don't work. Opening up the economy in a pandemic came with a cost that some don't want to acknowledge: lack of control of the pandemic has caused tourism to crater, even when companies have been allowed to reopen. We are seeing the same thing in Vegas now, where restaurants and resort hotels are being forced to closed due to lack of traffic.

Even if you insist on accepting the needless deaths of thousands, from a purely economic perspective, the best solution would have been hard lockdowns long enough to eradicate widespread infection and a plan for contact tracing/control moving forward. This is the same solution many countries have used, to keep the virus in check and reopen their economy. That's the solution that would have helped to build confidence in travel and tourism again, but it wasn't used.

By taking the easy way out, ending lockdowns early, and prioritizing the economy, we've created a scenario where people are comfortable going to their local bars and restaurants, but still nervous to travel. A scenario that is specifically damaging to theme parks.

They also burn out like many others and stop working. The cost of a nurse has been skyrocketing lately, with some traveling nurses making $10k a week due to the lack of supply. You know who is paying for that? You are.

The lockdowns are necessary at the moment to control the ICU population and can be lifted as soon as the health services industry is no longer overwhelmed or forced to pay extravagant overtime penalties to workers. Disneyland can reopen when cases are on the decline, with most of the necessary services (schools, offices, retail) have reopened. No one needs a $20, made in China, plastic popcorn bucket, in the middle of a national emergency.

Lockdowns do seem to be working. The latest lockdowns started three weeks ago and as we are now catching up to the lag, there is a noticeable decline in positivity rates:

View attachment 521110

Looking at the chart above, I'd be really curious to know what you think caused the spike in infections from late October onward. Do you think it just takes younger people longer to get infected? Do note though, that the summer increase seen in the chart above corresponds to the relaxation of lockdowns.
Cases in many states, including my own, peaked before the most recent lockdown and business closures orders were issued.

Chef Mickey

Why? You just said travel doesn’t contribute to spread.
Does it necessarily? The issue is far more complicated than banning travel or not banning travel. There are risks to everything.

Of course staying home forever would minimize external risks, but there are huge downsides. Life isn't so black and white.

Chef Mickey

So your answer is “sucks to be old or have a medical condition but I gots to get my dole whips cause I want to support the economy and keep the cm’s Employed. Rest In Peace though!”

Seems like a reasonable goal to me.
I think you can do 2 things at once. Stay home if you're scared to go out. The minority don't get to make decisions for everyone. It's obvious who is at risk. Those are the people that should be controlled against their will if anyone. The rest of us (overwhelming majority) literally have essentially no danger.

Besides, we need to work so the government can tax us and give the money to people who don't want to work. Without us, there is no more free money to hand out.

It's not like I'm alone. This "greater good" theory is playing out in MOST places. You can scream murder, but states are doing it because it makes the most sense...at this point. The chance of stopping the virus is long gone. Now, we are in manage mode.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Does it necessarily? The issue is far more complicated than banning travel or not banning travel. There are risks to everything.

Of course staying home forever would minimize external risks, but there are huge downsides. Life isn't so black and white.
I haven’t said anything about banning travel or staying home forever. You’re the one who said travel doesn’t spread the virus and now you are just making other random comments. Something caused the virus to make its way around the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom