Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Surferboy567

Forgive me if this has been asked before and probably discussed but how does it work.

Everyone has a wheel? So if I am steering left and someone else is steering right does the kart respond to that feedback? I understand it’s on a rail or is it like Tommorowland Speedway where your car moves regardless without minimal movement of the wheel?

Maybe the wheel controls shooting items like shells?

Another thing are we expecting physical sets and AA’s? Most of this as I understand it is AR based.

EDIT: Looking at the wheel their seems to be two sliver buttons? On the top that I think could be used for shooting items. They also continue to reference them as handles not wheels.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Forgive me if this has been asked before and probably discussed but how does it work.

Everyone has a wheel? So if I am steering left and someone else is steering right does the kart respond to that feedback? I understand it’s on a rail or is it like Tommorowland Speedway where your car moves regardless without minimal movement of the wheel?

Another thing are we expecting physical sets and AA’s? Most of this as I understand it is AR based.

EDIT: Looking at the wheel their seems to be two sliver buttons? On the top that I think could be used for shooting items. They also continue to reference them as handles not wheels.
This thread seemed to delve into some of the details. Looks like a combo of AR, projection mapping, and “other tech”. I’m pretty sure there have been parents filed for physical effects on this ride. Pretty excited regardless as this a childhood dream come true!!

Surferboy567

This thread seemed to delve into some of the details. Looks like a combo of AR, projection mapping, and “other tech”. I’m pretty sure there have been parents filed for physical effects on this ride. Pretty excited regardless as this a childhood dream come true!!

Same here, Mario Kart is just asking to be made into an experience of some sort. Really excited to see how the land as a whole turns out and especially Mario Kart.

Surferboy567

Augment Reality means there is digital content overlaid on physical content.
It’s more about how much of that physical content is included in the attraction. Is what I mean by the question. It could be as something as easy as item boxes. Or something as complex as environmental pieces.

Markiewong

I don't expect us to be able to steer, its problaby closer to an onrails shooter. Use the steering wheel to point from L to R and use the big button in the middle to shoot things. Potentially the other solution is four different roles that are being switched randomly throughout the ride akin to Double dash, similar to Smugglers Run (without the switching).

Environment should be a lot of physical stuff with tracking pieces, otherwise I don't see the AR glasses keeping up.
The following concept art are from back when Nintendo was still planned for Orlando Studios, but we don't know if they are still applicable:
1606751390540.png

1606751419359.png

1606751444650.png

1606751550720.png

BrianLo

Minor nitpick (I’ve been waiting until it was actually ‘done’ to complain). I don’t like that they’ve opted not to paint the stairs and railings. I can’t see there being any safety implication to at least not make them brown like the concept art.

They starkly look wrong in an otherwise extremely well put together land.

Brer Oswald

Minor nitpick (I’ve been waiting until it was actually ‘done’ to complain). I don’t like that they’ve opted not to paint the stairs and railings. I can’t see there being any safety implication to at least not make them brown like the concept art.

Might be a stylistic choice. The stairs around the castle courtyard in the games have always been a whitish grey.

Brer Oswald

A side note. While I was additionally extremely disappointed that the Mario Kart ride would be the lead attraction in the land (Mario Kart is a spinoff, not main series), I’m very happy with Bowser’s Castle. You enter it like you would a main Mario game, and the attraction seemingly has a story with Bowser as the “villain”. This is in stark contrast with the Mario Kart games that have never had a story, and never an antagonist.

I assume some guests will join Team Bowser to race off against Team Mario, so it’s not quite the “Super Mario fighting Bowser” ride I hoped for. But it’s still much more than I expected for a Mario Kart ride.

tirian

IGN just released a photo gallery of Uni’s promo shots. They’re pretty much the same as the pics from @Sharon&Susan , but from different angles.

Considering how incredibly wrong Disney got Galaxy’s Edge, I don’t care about the railings when a land looks like this. ;)

TestTrack Dummy

It’s more about how much of that physical content is included in the attraction. Is what I mean by the question. It could be as something as easy as item boxes. Or something as complex as environmental pieces.
The sets will be physical, with some background screens being used in some cases. Specifically for Rainbow Road and other "encounters" throughout the attraction. As for AA's, Dexpect some piranha plants and other minor AA's. Don't expect to see any of the main characters as AA's, they will all be in AR.

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

Everything just looks so fun! Clearly like Harry Potter, Universal hired people who know the audience.
Some of those photos look rendered, they really nailed the look of this land down.
I really hope the main attraction is just as amazing while riding. If so, this land will be a knockout for sure.

BrianLo

IGN just released a photo gallery of Uni’s promo shots. They’re pretty much the same as the pics from @Sharon&Susan , but from different angles.

Considering how incredibly wrong Disney got Galaxy’s Edge, I don’t care about the railings when a land looks like this. ;)

Yes, not trying to poo-poo it. I've been oggling the completed exterior for the better part of 6 months now.

The stairwells do appear textured and detailed on the higher res version of the photo now on my laptop. It had looked like just unfinished concrete on a lower res version. Which seemed wrong.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Tom Morrow

I'm still not sold on photos of the final product. Is it impressive? Absolutely, especially the unprecedented amount of movement. Is it aesthetically pleasing? To me, no. This has been my complaint all along, but it's so cramped and cluttered and the removal of the construction and scaffolding equipment did not change that which I was hoping would. Everything is on top of everything else, it looks like there's very little walking space or room to breathe. No "vista" views, if you will.

So if Mario Kart the ride will be on track, is this gonna be an improved Radiator Springs Racers. It seems like it.
Maybe, but you don't actually go fast on this. We'll have to wait and see whether this properly feels like a wild race or yet another instance where actual fast movement should have been utilized over simulated fast movement.

Universal keeps on hitting home runs. First Harry Potter and now this. Disney wished Galaxy's Bland looked as good as this does.
*First Harry Potter, (several mediocre to horrible attractions omitted), Hagrid's, and now this.

Galaxy's Bland isn't a cramped, cluttered corridor and it holds the best theme park attraction ever created, so we'll see how this stacks up.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom