The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Willmark

Unrelated to the craziness of the world.

Need to buy a new truck, just had to sink 1.5k into the current 2009 Tacoma. We were hoping to get a few more months out of it, wasn't meant to be without a repair cost. Can't complain, 211k miles and still going strong. It needed brakes and calipers.

But silver lining of sorts:
* Now have a trade in. Likely to sell it on Car Max or Edmunds as I can get more for it from the dealer. Surprisingly even with the mileage and age its worth 4-6k, I've kept it in good shape and stayed up on the maintenance.
* I'm driving our third vehicle so I don't need to pull the trigger right now
* Waiting for the last week in December. Why you ask? Research shows the best time to buy. It's the dealer's last time to make their quotas, consider: last days of the month, last days of the quarter, last days of the year. Their incentive to squeeze a few more in is there. As a consequence they are more likely to take less on the car if it means they get that bonus.
* I can walk if need be, they literally cant dangle it over me.
* Dealer incentives, rebates
* I know the list and invoice cost, not paying MSRP.

Literally I am in the drivers seat for this. Not happy about a new car payment but the stars have aligned for the time to buy one.

This time is likely to be a Tacoma TRD Pro or a Ford Ranger.

The Ranger is likely to lose out however as its only a 4 cylinder despite the boost they gave to it; great mileage but might lack power so driving it on Monday. The V6 Ranger's aren't likely until 2nd half of next year.

Far distant third is GMC Canyon, I just don't like the look of and I swore off Chevy's years ago after some horrendous experiences with mine. The Colorado ZR2 looks nice but its not getting great mechanical reviews, some things never change as its a descendant of my old S10.

Likely to be the Tacoma TRD Pro, but we'll see. This is what I'm honing in on but probably will be different depending on what I can find.
757b3a95f7505097ddd445cf436f9a47.jpg

Ruled out completely:
Honda Ridgeline
Jeep Gladiator 🤮
Nissan Frontier- actually heard it described as a pair of old man's orthopedic shoes, I agree.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member

Need to by a new truck, just had to sink 1.5k into the current 2009 Tacoma. We were hoping to get a few more months out of it, wasn't meant to be without a repair cost. Can't complain, 211k miles and still going strong. It needed brakes and calipers.

* Now have a trade in. Likely to sell it on Car Max or Edmunds as I can get more for it from the dealer. Surprisingly even with the mileage and age its worth 4-6k, I've kept it in good shape and stayed up on the maintenance.
* Waiting for the last week in December. Why you ask? Research shows the best time to buy. It's the dealer's last time to make their quotas, consider: last days of the month, last days of the quarter, last days of the year. Their incentive to squeeze a few more in is there. As a consequence they are more likely to take less on the car if it means they get that bonus.

Literally I am in the drivers seat for this. Not happy about a new car payment but the stars have aligned for the time to buy one.

The Ranger is likely to lose out however as its only a 4 cylinder despite the boost they gave to it; great mileage but might lack power so driving it on Monday. Far distant third is GMC Canyon, I just don't like the look of and I swore of Chevy's years ago after some horrendous experiences with mine. The Colorado ZR2 looks nice but its not getting great mechanical reviews, some things never change as its a descendant of my old S10.

Likely to be the Tacoma TRD Pro, but we'll see. This is what I'm honing in on but probably will be different depending on what I can find.

Ruled out completely:
Honda Ridgeline
Jeep Gladiator 🤮
Nissan Frontier- actually heard it described as a pair of old man's orthopedic shoes, I agree.
Good luck and go get em! My motto is never pay rack rate!

Willmark

Why do you think I said go get em;) What's this MSRP you speak of?
MSRP= Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

The price you see on the window is not what the vehicle actually costs. There is the dealer cost and invoice cost which is not always the same thing. Basically its the markup. Plenty of people just pay what they see. Cars are the only thing that you can really negotiate on price. But in order to do it you need leverage. Which right now I have all the cards, they have none.

I'm also going to tell them: "Your choice is between making X amount off this sale or zero. The choice is yours"

Add to this I have Excellent credit, again literally (and hopefully) soon the drivers seat.

Figgy1

Premium Member
MSRP= Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

The price you see on the window is not what the vehicle actually costs. There is the dealer cost and invoice cost which is not always the same thing. Basically its the markup. Plenty of people just pay what they see. Cars are the only thing that you can really negotiate on price. But in order to do it you need leverage. Which right now I have all the cards, they have none.

I'm also going to tell them: "Your choice is between making X amount off this sale or zero. The choice is yours"

Add to this I have Excellent credit, again literally (and hopefully) soon the drivers seat.
I knew what it was I just can't seeing anybody paying for it. I'm so cheap I use coupons at the warehouse club;)

Willmark

Toothpicks are keeping my eyes open. I have to stay up for a little longer before getting my dh up for work. I was up at 4 to get everything ready for my boys.
Ugh you have my sympathy I remember those days all too well. Hopefully it gets better!

In my case three jobs when my youngest was born. I did it for two years until my college loans were paid off. Only time off was on Sundays when I got done at both part time jobs, last one at 6 pm. Got home, saw the kids and staggered off to sleep. A few odd days off here and there for holidays but not much else.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ugh you have my sympathy I remember those days all too well. Hopefully it gets better!

In my case three jobs when my youngest was born. I did it for two years until my college loans were paid off. Only time off was on Sundays when I got done at both part time jobs, last one at 6 pm. Got home, saw the kids and staggered off to sleep. A few odd days off here and there for holidays but not much else.
Thnx. DH working nights one son homeschooled 3rd year and my other one is also home for the foreseeable future, my choice as he's autistic and would have problems with regulations

Songbird76

View attachment 514078

Target paper aisle. Again. 😬😬
Our news mentioned the shortages in the US this morning. Why are people stockpiling again? Cases have been high throughout, so I don't see why suddenly people are panicking when they weren't a month ago. The news said the death toll in the US reached 250,000....so sad! And then there was some woman saying something about people not wearing face masks and that the numbers would climb as long as people were negligent about it. I didn't recognize her, but she looked so....almost lifeless. I'm thinking she's either really really tired, or maybe just camera shy? In any case, it didn't paint a great picture for the situation in the US, but I didn't think cases were spiking suddenly that it would create the stockpiling. I hope that doesn't last long!!

Songbird76

Need to buy a new truck, just had to sink 1.5k into the current 2009 Tacoma. We were hoping to get a few more months out of it, wasn't meant to be without a repair cost. Can't complain, 211k miles and still going strong. It needed brakes and calipers.

The Ranger is likely to lose out however as its only a 4 cylinder despite the boost they gave to it; great mileage but might lack power so driving it on Monday. The V6 Ranger's aren't likely until 2nd half of next year.

Far distant third is GMC Canyon, I just don't like the look of and I swore off Chevy's years ago after some horrendous experiences with mine. The Colorado ZR2 looks nice but its not getting great mechanical reviews, some things never change as its a descendant of my old S10.

Ruled out completely:
Honda Ridgeline
Jeep Gladiator 🤮
Good luck and have fun choosing!

Songbird76

Toothpicks are keeping my eyes open. I have to stay up for a little longer before getting my dh up for work. I was up at 4 to get everything ready for my boys.
What time do you generally go to bed? I usually end up taking a nap in the morning after I get the kids off to school because I work until at least 11:00 pm, sometimes later, and then have a half hour drive home. But then I have to get up in the morning to make lunches, and such....I know you get up earlier than I do, but no way would I be able to get up so early and stay awake so late if I didn't have a nap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom