Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

atjimfromdisney

Hello! Glad I found this thread. We are looking at relocating to the area from NC when my husband departs from the military. He’s hopefully gaining employment at WDW. We’ve read a ton of posts about housing and have found a lot of potential in the area. Any advice on other parts of this?

When I was working with the company, my brother and I lived in Windermere, just north of Magic Kingdom (we had a view of Cinderella Castle out of our window). That area is being heavily developed and has become a VERY nice area to live especially if one of you will be working in the parks.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Opinions on living in Clermont? Was suggested by someone to look at Cagan Crossings. I'd want to rent for a year or 2 then buy a condo in central FL after I get settled.

bhg469

Opinions on living in Clermont? Was suggested by someone to look at Cagan Crossings. I'd want to rent for a year or 2 then buy a condo in central FL after I get settled.
That is where we are looking as well. Having stayed at a vacation rental for a week just a few miles south of Clermont, we thought it was a pretty nice area.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Purely my own opinion, but I found Cagan Crossing to be bit pricey for the location. I also find it to be a bit too remote in regards to Orlando, assuming you're going to want to enjoy some other amenities other than the parks. I am renting a townhouse in Windermere right now and couldn't ask for a better location

Considering I'm only paying $590 for a studio where I live right now I'm going to have to be budget-conscious. CC has studios but I see there is a wait-list currently.

I'm hoping my current employer will let me work remotely in FL, at least temporarily and I'd pick up a part-time gig at Disney or Cirque (when it re-opens). Otherwise I'm looking at working at Spectrum - but their office is in Maitland which is a ways from Clermont. I eventually want to buy a condo but not until I get settled and figure out where I want to live.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
this forum has been quiet for a while. Moving to Clermont off of the 192/27 interchange into Cagan Crossings in the next few months. There's a wait list for my apartment so I'm dealing with 1 more winter up here in SD

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
this forum has been quiet for a while. Moving to Clermont off of the 192/27 interchange into Cagan Crossings in the next few months. There's a wait list for my apartment so I'm dealing with 1 more winter up here in SD

Got the call yesterday. I'm at the top of the list and will be moving in the next 4-6 weeks! Time to light a fire under my backside to get ready to move

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
I live very close to Clermont in the southern bit of Winter Garden (Horizon West). Clermont is generally a nice area with a good mix of people. On niche it shows crime and safety as C+ but I've never felt unsafe there. I moved here from Seattle, WA and love it. :)

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Anyone familiar with the Yulee/ Fernandina Beach area? With interest rates so low we are ready to pull the trigger on a small vacation home next year. We don't want a huge touristy area so are looking for something near the beach but maybe slightly removed from the larger metropolises. Thinking Yulee/ FB or Port Orange.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyone familiar with the Yulee/ Fernandina Beach area? With interest rates so low we are ready to pull the trigger on a small vacation home next year. We don't want a huge touristy area so are looking for something near the beach but maybe slightly removed from the larger metropolises. Thinking Yulee/ FB or Port Orange.

Yulee/Fernandina Beach is a nice area, but quite a ways from Orlando - not close enough for a comfortable day trip. But it's still close to Jacksonville, so you've got city stuff when you need it.

Port Orange isn't as nice as Yulee, but close enough to WDW for easy day trips, and still within the greater Orlando metro area.

The problem is that there are very few coastal parts of Florida that aren't touristy.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yulee/Fernandina Beach is a nice area, but quite a ways from Orlando - not close enough for a comfortable day trip. But it's still close to Jacksonville, so you've got city stuff when you need it.

Port Orange isn't as nice as Yulee, but close enough to WDW for easy day trips, and still within the greater Orlando metro area.

The problem is that there are very few coastal parts of Florida that aren't touristy.

Appreciate the insight! Proximity to Disney isn’t a huge factory but I will definitely be making some weekend trips. After looking into the areas more we are leaning towards Yulee. Planning a trip early next year to check it out. :) thanks!

Nj4mwc

I retire from the military in 2 years and the plan is to move the family to the Orlando area. My kids will be middle/high school aged so school districts is very important to us. Does anyone have insight on the better school districts in the area?

Lilofan

I retire from the military in 2 years and the plan is to move the family to the Orlando area. My kids will be middle/high school aged so school districts is very important to us. Does anyone have insight on the better school districts in the area?
Dr Phillips, Celebration, Winter Park areas however the public schools are a mix of wealthy, middle class and much lower income kids that live in the area.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

Zip codes 34786, 32836, and 32789 (Windermere, Dr Phillips, and Winter Park) should get you good schools. 32819 and 32835 closer to 32836 should as well, but less certain.

Nj4mwc

Dr Phillips, Celebration, Winter Park areas however the public schools are a mix of wealthy, middle class and much lower income kids that live in the area.
Thanks, are there good charter schools? And are they a giant pain to get into, as long as the education is good I’m perfectly happy with the mix

Lilofan

Thanks, are there good charter schools? And are they a giant pain to get into, as long as the education is good I’m perfectly happy with the mix
#1 rated Orlando charter school with a Christian based program is First Academy. Middle school is $15K a year, high school is $19K a year. The public schools have armed Orange County deputies on school grounds when school is in session. It's the sign of the times.

DisneyTransport

If your kids want to go to college, get into a school close to a community college. A lot of high schools here offer "dual enrollment" so you can take college classes as early as sophomore year. (not sure if COVID changed this though).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom