The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
still gonna watch. at the end of the day the series is tied. baseball players have short memories when there is a game the next day.

Not saying the series is over (prob going to 7 now) but all I can say is Dave Robert’s has a blind loyalty to some of his guys that have consistently proven they don’t perform in crunch time.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well no matter what these guys got it done...

363B9BB3-17FF-4D96-8D9D-3DC2A377483C.jpeg

Dodgers are still going to do it

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Ah, laserdisc memories. I bought my laserdisc player in 1990? Can't quite remember. The discs were expensive, $20 at the cheap end going up to $40 for most movies which was a lot back then. Believe it or not, they had a laserdisc club like the Columbia record club and I got in on that with the Star Wars discs being my choices. I forget how many you got vs how many you had to buy.

The most expensive LD set I bought was the Aliens Directors Cut. $99 and the only way to get a directors cut until the DVD came out. It was and is sweet as I still own all these.

Now I buy expensive collector Blu-ray sets from Korea, China, England and all over for no reason other than I love movies.

Look at this, I found an ad for the Columbia Laserdisc club. Yep, I did get all 3 Star Wars discs for a buck each. Just had to buy 2 more within a year which was easy to do and ended up with a hell of a deal back then.View attachment 507795
Good ol' Columbia House. They always pulled you in with a cheap deal and then you end up having to purchase a certain amount afterward to fulfill the contract, usually at higher than retail cost. The Disney Movie Club still uses this tactic.

When I was in my late teens after getting my first job (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-miscellaneous-thought-thread.935996/post-9496534) I got suckered into the Columbia House Star Trek: The Next Generation on VHS subscription. They give you the first one for $4.95 then every month you get a new tape with 2 episodes for like $19.95. I think I got up to season 5 before I canceled. I eventually moved and sold them all in a garage sale. I think overall there were about 87 tapes. 87 x $19.95 = $1735.65. Yikes! Now you can get entire seasons on Blu-ray for like $35. Or just watch them on Netflix or Amazon Prime, and it's still on television on BBC America.

truecoat

Good ol' Columbia House. They always pulled you in with a cheap deal and then you end up having to purchase a certain amount afterward to fulfill the contract, usually at higher than retail cost. The Disney Movie Club still uses this tactic.

When I was in my late teens after getting my first job (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-miscellaneous-thought-thread.935996/post-9496534) I got suckered into the Columbia House Star Trek: The Next Generation on VHS subscription. They give you the first one for $4.95 then every month you get a new tape with 2 episodes for like $19.95. I think I got up to season 5 before I canceled. I eventually moved and sold them all in a garage sale. I think overall there were about 87 tapes. 87 x $19.95 = $1735.65. Yikes! Now you can get entire seasons on Blu-ray for like $35. Or just watch them on Netflix or Amazon Prime, and it's still on television on BBC America.

It was a hell of a deal back in the day. 3 Star Wars movies that retailed at 35-40 bucks for a buck a piece plus shipping. I believe around 20 bucks total for the 3. 2 more at 35 plus shipping so $100 for 5 laserdiscs. I saved about $70 at least.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I had Kate Winslet hold her breath for over 7 minutes under water while filming Avatar 2. Here she is doing a little water dance.

View attachment 508550
His name is James, James Cameron
The bravest pioneer
No budget too steep, no sea too deep
Who's that?
It's him, James Cameron
James, James Cameron explorer of the sea
With a dying thirst to be the first
Could it be? Yeah that's him!
James Cameron

LastoneOn

I miss the good old days with the weekly "ShesInLosAngeles" SWL construction update videos.
She was great. I think they should have invited her to the open.
No edu "this is a ladder" commentary, just nice long construction video.
She was very respectful of the guys on break never lingered on them having lunch or anything, like it was their backstage time.

"Theres a new Shesin!"
We'd fly into action!

LastoneOn

His name is James, James Cameron
The bravest pioneer
No budget too steep, no sea too deep
Who's that?
It's him, James Cameron
James, James Cameron explorer of the sea
With a dying thirst to be the first
Could it be? Yeah that's him!
James Cameron
Ok I'll give you A for effort. But what tune to sing it to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom