The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Sharon&Susan

NateD1226

So sick of CG movies.
I think Disney is starting to move away from CG movies after the huge success of Spiderverse. There’s a rumor that Luca, Pixar’s next movie after Soul, is going to have a mixture of CG and some new style of animation since the director of Luca is the same director of La Luna, which he had some beautiful paintings made for the short.

NateD1226

Charlie Brown Christmas or any of the other Peanuts holiday specials won't be airing on TV this year. It'll be an Apple TV exclusive.
Glad I already have all the specials on DVD. :)
Such a terrible move. It’s a tradition for lots of families to watch these specials on TV every year! I will definitely be watching my DVDs of these this year.

Rich T

Charlie Brown Christmas or any of the other Peanuts holiday specials won't be airing on TV this year. It'll be an Apple TV exclusive.
Glad I already have all the specials on DVD. :)
No interest in Apple TV whatsoever. That new guy is ruining Apple!!! Between making iTunes an awful experience, marketing designer watch bands to the rich and sneaking a U2 album onto everyone’s phone without permission...and now this Grinchy holiday powergrab...my once-favorite tech company now makes me want to puke. Apple, Disney, Sony, EA...Most of my once-favorite companies have turned awful! Only Nintendo, Frontier and Lego remain!

truecoat

Yeah, pretty cool. I popped them into the computer this AM and they don't look that great. Will have to try them on the Bluray player and see how they look. Honestly, I probably don't have much reason to go back to them anymore given I have far too many versions of the OT at this point.

You need a copy of Harmy's despecialized edition or Star Wars 4K77.

truecoat

Ah, laserdisc memories. I bought my laserdisc player in 1990? Can't quite remember. The discs were expensive, $20 at the cheap end going up to $40 for most movies which was a lot back then. Believe it or not, they had a laserdisc club like the Columbia record club and I got in on that with the Star Wars discs being my choices. I forget how many you got vs how many you had to buy.

The most expensive LD set I bought was the Aliens Directors Cut. $99 and the only way to get a directors cut until the DVD came out. It was and is sweet as I still own all these.

Now I buy expensive collector Blu-ray sets from Korea, China, England and all over for no reason other than I love movies.

Look at this, I found an ad for the Columbia Laserdisc club. Yep, I did get all 3 Star Wars discs for a buck each. Just had to buy 2 more within a year which was easy to do and ended up with a hell of a deal back then.
LD club.jpg

Last edited:

LastoneOn

No interest in Apple TV whatsoever. That new guy is ruining Apple!!! Between making iTunes an awful experience, marketing designer watch bands to the rich and sneaking a U2 album onto everyone’s phone without permission...and now this Grinchy holiday powergrab...my once-favorite tech company now makes me want to puke. Apple, Disney, Sony, EA...Most of my once-favorite companies have turned awful! Only Nintendo, Frontier and Lego remain!
New guy? its been 10 years. I don't like all of his decisions but his decisions sure have increased my investment in the company. I don't watch Apple TV because the content doesn't appeal to me.

I grew up on Peanuts, haven't watched Great Pumpkin in who knows how long. It was a fun show, the others as well. Its available on DVD and even VHS. We might actually have a VHS of it someplace in the stuff we had for our kids. Your local library probably has a copy. So, its out there if its such a must watch.

smooch

Sad how they ve already eliminated Splash Mountain from Merch representing the entire park. Case in point this new Starbucks tumbler. I’ve noticed the Splash Mountain icon has been eliminated on the last few similar merch items in general. I’m guessing it’ll start showing up again when the silhouette of the mountain isn’t racist anymore in a couple years because it will have the boat on top of chikapin hill. 😕

I know @SuddenStorm mentioned this earlier and I know this is a few pages behind but it is genuinely really sad to see Disney merch without the iconic Splash Mountain that also has MF:SR represented. It is so out of place, it's a little "map" with iconic attractions and it just doesn't fit in being a literal space ship from a movie compared to things like Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, IASW, and the Haunted Mansion. It isn't a charming ride based on either an idea or based off of an IP but made it's own thing like the Mad Tea Party on there, it is just a straight up insertion of a ship from a movie, it has no imagination. It doesn't matter if it's the coolest space ship from the coolest franchise (if we're talking OT) it just does not mesh with the other attractions it is put along with, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I understand it's a newer land so it can't be an "iconic classic" yet but it is just a different thing entirely, it may be cool to see the Millenium Falcon in person but it's not really something I would think of and associate with a Disney Park. Okay, rant over, I just hadn't been on this site for a while and wanted to give my take on this because it really bothered me for some strange reason.

smooch

The one area of entertainment that Disney has yet to conquer is video games. It is like they just don't understand the industry. If they knew the industry better they probably wouldn't have given Star Wars rights to EA.
I do agree Disney giving EA the rights to Star Wars was a terrible idea, Battlefront 1 & 2 remakes were fun for a little but ultimately just Battlefield with a Star Wars skin on it. That said, Jedi: Fallen Order was a very very fun game with an interesting story! I had so much fun playing that game, one of only single player games I played through and thoroughly enjoyed within the last few years. Also, the new Star Wars Squadrons game is incredibly fun but I think I am only enjoying it as much as I am is because I'm playing in VR, so I feel so cool flying my own X-Wing or Tie Fighter, it's incredibly cool to feel like I'm in the cockpit and to be able to look around and actually see the control systems and look to my side to see an enemy approaching me from the side. I've played it without VR and didn't enjoy it nearly as much, so I only play when I am gonna bring out my headset. I just wish we could get an awesome Star Wars RPG, something like an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game set in the Star Wars universe, getting new abilities and finding / crafting new gear, an open world you can explore and do the main story or focus on side quests helping out citizens. I don't really ever see that happening while EA has the rights to Star Wars games, I think Disney would have to approach a different developer with experience making those sort of games. I know Cyberpunk 2077 is coming in less than a month but a Star Wars game by CD PROJEKT RED would be incredible.

George Lucas on a Bench

20201023_133645.jpg

I found Reduced Fat Jif for the first time in The Pandemic. I thought maybe all you panic-buying toilet paper nuts bought it all up, but apparently they had stopped making it! Hopefully this isn't an isolated incident (the containers are slightly damaged giving one the impression these were old stock found by a clerk crushed underneath other stuff in a warehouse) and they're getting it out again.

smooch

View attachment 508088

I found Reduced Fat Jif for the first time in The Pandemic. I thought maybe all you panic-buying toilet paper nuts bought it all up, but apparently they had stopped making it! Hopefully this isn't an isolated incident (the containers are slightly damaged giving one the impression these were old stock found by a clerk crushed underneath other stuff in a warehouse) and they're getting it out again.
I hope you bought the whole case of them if they're not being made anymore! It's always so sad when something you always buy gets discontinued and you have to search for an alternative, but nothing can compare. :(

PiratesMansion

I hope you bought the whole case of them if they're not being made anymore! It's always so sad when something you always buy gets discontinued and you have to search for an alternative, but nothing can compare. :(
For me it was caffeine free regular Coke and Pepsi. I'm very much a pizza and pop person, but I can't have caffeine after about midday and I can't stand diet pop (and I've never understood why caffeine free diet pop is normal but caffeine free regular is treated as a bizzarre abberation? But what do I know?) Caffeine free regular Coke/Pepsi was the perfect solution for me.

Little did I know they would abruptly discontinue it around April or so with no warning. Had I known, I would have bought it by the truckload. Then again, maybe I was the only one drinking it in my area for how fast it went away. I'm stuck drinking Sprite now and it's not the same.

I just saw an article a few days ago stating that Coke was discontinuing about half of its product line, so it's not unique, but it's still frustrating.

PiratesMansion

Not a bad top WDW list for a first timer. RNRC is a bit high, but then it has its merits. Certainly its a better themed experience than CS/IC any day.

I appreciate that Mansion was the only (current) duplicated attraction that made the top of the list! Foxx Nolte's new book is definitely pushing me the extra ~5% I needed to go to definitively declare the WDW/Tokyo attraction as the superior version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom