Are the rumors surrounding the Star Wars Sequels being decanonized true? (An in-depth look)

Joesixtoe

They could easily re-dress Smugglers Run into something with Han Solo. Then add new attractions based on other parts of the franchise and most people wouldn't even notice the shift in the lands theming.
I'd personally love it, financially and such I just don't see them investing in on that(although I bet many more people would come which would help with the cost).

Willmark

Just had a chance to watch Solo and it blows the doors of the horrific Last Jedi, its not even close.

Still processing a lot of it but Donald Glover as a young Lando was spot on.

Only minor (as in very minor) nit pick was no opening crawl. As I saw Episode IV as 4 year old I'm so used to seeing that. Other than that? The fact that it was non stop and great villains, action and Han getting the Falcon? I also was not even bothered that while it was a Star Wars movie it could have been put elsewhere with as in another movie universe with no issues. Could not ask for more.

Out of anything post Jedi?
Solo
Rogue One

(gap)

The Force Awakens

(Huge gap)

Rise of Skywalker

After that? There is no other sequels as the Last Jedi should be erased from all memory like wiping a droid. That thing was horrific and seeing in the order I did (Force Awakens, Rogue One, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker and then Solo) only reinforces just how bad Last Jedi is.

In fact, Last Jedi did something I never though possible, it made me like Return of the Jedi (EDIT: should read: made me like Return of the Jedi more) which was not only the weakest of the original trilogy, but arguably worse than at least Revenge of the Sith out of the prequels.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

Just had a chance to watch Solo and it blows the doors of the horrific Last Jedi, its not even close.

Still processing a lot of it but Donald Glover as a young Lando was spot on.

Only minor (as in very minor) nit pick was no opening crawl. As I saw Episode IV as 4 year old I'm so used to seeing that. Other than that? The fact that it was non stop and great villains, action and Han getting the Falcon? I also was not even bothered that while it was a Star Wars movie it could have been put elsewhere with no issues as in another movie universe with no issues. Could not ask for more.

Out of anything post Jedi?
Solo
Rogue One

(gap)

The Force Awakens

(Huge gap)

Rise of Skywalker

After that? There is no other sequels as the Last Jedi should be erased from all memory like wiping a driod. That thing was horrific and seeing in the order I did (Force Awakens, Rogue One, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker and then Solo) only reinforces just how bad Last Jedi is.

In fact, Last Jedi did something I never though possible, it made me like Return of the Jedi which was not only the weakest of the original trilogy but arguably worse than at least Revenge of the Sith out of the prequels.
Return of the Jedi? Come on man. Father and son duel in what is the most heart felt saber fight in any of the movies.

Willmark

Return of the Jedi? Come on man. Father and son duel in what is the most heart felt saber fight in any of the movies.
Its funny, whenever I mention Return that's usually what everyone focuses on. I agree its cool and heartfelt. It also doesn't erase the fact that a bunch of Teddy Bears are wiping out and I quote "a legion of my best troops" on the Forest Moon of Endor. Of those were Papatine's best troops I'd hate to see his worst.

I also see a key word which I will edit, should have read: "made me like Return of the Jedi more".

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Return of the Jedi has a great final act, but is a bad movie overall. Bad effects, bad humour, not much in the way of new story, and just general ridiculousness (Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, can't get out of a net).

Revenge of the Sith might just be the best third act of all the movies, because it was planned out and the trilogy really built to it. Unlike Jedi, they saved a lot of story for part three. Rise of Skywalker was enjoyable but they crammed a lot into it and one never get the feeling they were planning what happened (bringing back the Emperor was okay, but should have happened by the second movie at the latest).

I enjoyed Solo, the dialogue and story were generally enjoyable. It just feels a bit by the numbers, like they were working from a Han Solo origin story checklist.

Joesixtoe

Its funny, whenever I mention Return that's usually what everyone focuses on. I agree its cool and heartfelt. It also doesn't erase the fact that a bunch of Teddy Bears are wiping out and I quote "a legion of my best troops" on the Forest Moon of Endor. Of those were Papatine's best troops I'd hate to see his worst.

I also see a key word which I will edit, should have read: "made me like Return of the Jedi more".
Yeah I never put 2 and 2 together, he sent his best troops to a land of teddy bears.. cool. I never liked the whole forest moon ewoks aspect of the movie, everything else im down with.

Joesixtoe

Return of the Jedi has a great final act, but is a bad movie overall. Bad effects, bad humour, not much in the way of new story, and just general ridiculousness (Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, can't get out of a net).

Revenge of the Sith might just be the best third act of all the movies, because it was planned out and the trilogy really built to it. Unlike Jedi, they saved a lot of story for part three. Rise of Skywalker was enjoyable but they crammed a lot into it and one never get the feeling they were planning what happened (bringing back the Emperor was okay, but should have happened by the second movie at the latest).

I enjoyed Solo, the dialogue and story were generally enjoyable. It just feels a bit by the numbers, like they were working from a Han Solo origin story checklist.
Bad humor? Bad effects? The story was about redemption, and friendship. It started to show us what we thought Jedi were like. I liked the Jedi level of powers in the original trilogy, they weren't super hero's, just beings with a little extra kick to them. So I get the being trapped in a net part, but I think it helped show that he is still just a human.

Wendy Pleakley

Bad humor? Bad effects? The story was about redemption, and friendship. It started to show us what we thought Jedi were like. I liked the Jedi level of powers in the original trilogy, they weren't super hero's, just beings with a little extra kick to them. So I get the being trapped in a net part, but I think it helped show that he is still just a human.

There are some painful attempts at humour. Some of these comments come courtesy of https://filmthreat.com/uncategorized/50-reasons-why-return-of-the-jedi-sucks/

"In what is probably the film’s single most painful moment, Solo requests Threepio do a number of chores. After continually tapping him on the shoulder and preventing him from leaving to complete his duties, Solo quips, “Hurry up, will ya? I haven’t got all day.” Har-dee-har-har."

See also a sight gag of a droid being tortured for laughs.

Effects? They're still good overall, but one thing they did was decide they no longer needed to use the physical Millennium Falcon, resulting in terrible shots like this one of Lando in front of what is clearly a painting. That looks terrible for a Star Wars movie. Luke in the Rancor cage looks bad as well.

1603478378213.png

Luke trapped in the net? I mean, can't he pull the lightsaber towards him? He couldn't somehow escape the Ewoks? He doesn't use the Jedi mind trick just so we can have another gag of Threepeo floating and being mistaken for a god.

The final 45 minutes are great, but so much of the movie is really terrible and it's reputation remains good in no small part due to being part of a classic series and a healthy dose of nostalgia.

Willmark

Now that I've had time for it to all sink in here is my new rankings:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Solo
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace
7. Return of the Jedi
8. The Force Awakens
9. Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Star Wars Holiday Special
12. Ewoks - Battle for Endor
13. The Last Jedi

For #3 and 4? I could see those 3A and 3B.

13th place for Last Jedi doesn't account for the huge gap between #12...

If we go solely by Jedi duels, Phantom Menace vaults to the top of the list. World renown martial artist Ray Parks played Darth Maul and choreographed the fight scenes and it shows.

Joesixtoe

Now that I've had time for it to all sink in here is my new rankings:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Solo
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace
7. Return of the Jedi
8. The Force Awakens
9. Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Star Wars Holiday Special
12. Ewoks - Battle for Endor
13. The Last Jedi

For #3 and 4? I could see those 3A and 3B.

13th place for Last Jedi doesn't account for the huge gap between #12...

If we go solely by Jedi duels, Phantom Menace vaults to the top of the list. World renown martial artist Ray Parks played Darth Maul and choreographed the fight scenes and it shows.
Wow Solo that high?? Legitimate how come?

Joesixtoe

As in I wasn't trying to be a jerk.. just wondering what did u like about it so much to place it 3rd amongst all star wars movies

Screamface

On Solo, it's an enjoyable film. I would love them to do something more with this Han Solo. Even if a minor character in something based around Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn.

I wouldn't put Solo in the top three best Star Wars films, but it'f I was making a list of Star Wars films based on the chances of being rewatched, it might get up there. I think it'll always just be a fun enjoyable film that you'll rewatch frequently, more so than many other of the films.

Effects? They're still good overall, but one thing they did was decide they no longer needed to use the physical Millennium Falcon, resulting in terrible shots like this one of Lando in front of what is clearly a painting. That looks terrible for a Star Wars movie. Luke in the Rancor cage looks bad as well.

I don't understand why George didn't fix some of the terrible matte paintings in ROTJ. Which is one of the more frustrating aspects of the Special Editions was the lack of consistency of what was changed. I personally think they should get George and do one last massive overhaul of the originals. Anything that looks bad, change it to modern effects quality. Aim the film to look like it came out in the current era. The release it alongside a remastered original version.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

On Solo, it's an enjoyable film. I would love them to do something more with this Han Solo. Even if a minor character in something based around Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn.

I wouldn't put Solo in the top three best Star Wars films, but it'f I was making a list of Star Wars films based on the chances of being rewatched, it might get up there. I think it'll always just be a fun enjoyable film that you'll rewatch frequently, more so than many other of the films.

I don't understand why George didn't fix some of the terrible matte paintings in ROTJ. Which is one of the more frustrating aspects of the Special Editions was the lack of consistency of what was changed. I personally think they should get George and do one last massive overhaul of the originals. Anything that looks bad, change it to modern effects quality. Aim the film to look like it came out in the current era. The release it alongside a remastered original version.
I agree a more updated look (not story change) would do well for the originals.

erasure fan1

Like has been said a lot about Solo, it does tend to get too greatest hits checklist heavy. And that is what keeps it further from the top as a film. But I agree with you 100% about the rewatchability. Outside of the originals and ep3, I rewatch Rouge one and Solo the most. It has a lot of issues but it also has a lot of fun moments as well. It's a great movie to have on in the background.

Screamface

The previous episode of The Mandalorian has plot points that point to setting up the events of the sequel.

Seems like a doubling down on the sequels being canon.

It had people in vats, where were mentioned to be experimented on by infusing Grogu's blood to transfer the force. Which is quite different than cloning someone..

Also, the cloning stuff that went on happened on Exogal by the First Order. There's zero indication these Imperial's are at all part of that group.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom