Are the rumors surrounding the Star Wars Sequels being decanonized true? (An in-depth look)

Wendy Pleakley

Problem is they never mention Thrawn or Ashoka or Grogu in the sequels. Unless all three get killed off I think Jon and Dave are ignoring the sequels going forward.

I can't believe the sequels, set in a large universe with a limitless number of characters, didn't mention the character of Grogu who hadn't even been created yet.

This is silly.

They're not going to "remove movies from canon" just because some people don't like them.

If that were the case, the Star Wars universe would only consist of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Technically she doesn't have to be dead. Luke hears Vader and Leia hears Luke in empire. So we know force sensitive beings can communicate, at least a little, while still being alive.
Heck, Rey and Kylo and Luke can project themselves visually and audially from great distances and be alive at the same time.

Willmark

Now that I've had time for it to all sink in here is my new rankings:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Solo
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace
7. Return of the Jedi
8. The Force Awakens
9. Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Star Wars Holiday Special
12. Ewoks - Battle for Endor
13. The Last Jedi

For #3 and 4? I could see those 3A and 3B.

13th place for Last Jedi doesn't account for the huge gap between #12...

If we go solely by Jedi duels, Phantom Menace vaults to the top of the list. World renown martial artist Ray Parks played Darth Maul and choreographed the fight scenes and it shows.
After watching some of the Mandolorian I now put it at #5 on my list. Yet to get through all of it but certainly better than the sequels.

The episode “The Rescue” has more “Star Wars” in it than Episodes VII through IX combined.

Fairly clear that Faveru should be the one directing the vision for Star Wars.

Over time, especially the Last Jedi will be recognized for what it is and fade away. While not the best of movies at least Episodes I through III and are recognizable as Star Wars movies, the sequels in particular TLJ is a bad movie, let alone a bad Star Wars movie.

And on second watching of ROS? The inconsistencies and the right turn retroconning some of TLJ is apparent.

ROS has its own set of problems but that’s “a great question, for another time.”

Willmark

I got…

4/6 (for different but important reasons)
R1
Solo (I guess)

Rest were bad…but last place is a 3 way tie between 1/8/9
I can see where you are coming from to a degree.

One thing TLJ did was made me appreciate RoJ more as it was the weakest in the original trilogy (read Ewoks) and filled with too many "hurr durr" moments. It had moments and sure the duel between Vader and Luke was heartfelt but tonally the whole thing was "off" if that makes sense. Perhaps they were going through the motions?

I've never seen an outright dislike of Empire? What were your objections to it, truly curious.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

One thing TLJ did was made me appreciate RoJ more as it was the weakest in the original trilogy (read Ewoks) and filled with too many "hurr durr" moments. It had moments and sure the duel between Vader and Luke was heartfelt but tonally the whole thing was "off" if that makes sense. Perhaps they were going through the motions?

I've never seen an outright dislike of Empire? What were your objections to it, truly curious.

I think what A lot of fans remember from the OT that sustained it into the marketing explosion in 1999 was the visual style/presentation of Jedi…

It stuck to the ribs. That movie still holds up visually.

And to be honest…Hamill was so good in both empire and Jedi…very underrated as a performance because of different standards then vs now.

Willmark

I think what A lot of fans remember from the OT that sustained it into the marketing explosion in 1999 was the visual style/presentation of Jedi…

It stuck to the ribs. That movie still holds up visually.

And to be honest…Hamill was so good in both empire and Jedi…very underrated as a performance because of different standards then vs now.
Gotcha, thank you for your insight.

Funny part for me is I was never a big fan (or the biggest fan) of Luke back in the day. My favorite was and still is Artoo!

In the prequels? Obi-Wan.

The sequels? I got nothing... ;)

Joesixtoe

I think part of what makes ROJ resonate with fans is Luke being an actual Jedi. The hero's journey is fulfilled, the cool bad guy turns-saves his son while defeating the creepy boss guy. Well that's why I liked it

Willmark

I think part of what makes ROJ resonate with fans is Luke being an actual Jedi. The hero's journey is fulfilled, the cool bad guy turns-saves his son while defeating the creepy boss guy. Well that's why I liked it
It certainly fulfills the hero's journey no disagreement there.

To clarify: as I noted (I believe in this thread) four years ago when I used to say I disliked RoJ people would automatically talk about the Jedi duel between Luke and Vader and use the words heartfelt to describe it. I really have no issue with that. Its simply that when I would make that statement that is what people automatically go to (at least my experience) It's perhaps something I can't quite put my finger on with RoJ? If we go by just the OT for me its:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROJ

Now with the benefit of the sequels I like ROJ far more than I ever did including the awful Ewoks which I disliked at 10 (at the time) and still do now. Rumor had it back in the day it was supposed to be wookies which would have been cool and we eventually got in AOTC... and that movie? Ugh.

Joesixtoe

It certainly fulfills the hero's journey no disagreement there.

To clarify: as I noted (I believe in this thread) four years ago when I used to say I disliked RoJ people would automatically talk about the Jedi duel between Luke and Vader and use the words heartfelt to describe it. I really have no issue with that. Its simply that when I would make that statement that is what people automatically go to (at least my experience) It's perhaps something I can't quite put my finger on with RoJ? If we go by just the OT for me its:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROJ

Now with the benefit of the sequels I like ROJ far more than I ever did including the awful Ewoks which I disliked at 10 (at the time) and still do now. Rumor had it back in the day it was supposed to be wookies which would have been cool and we eventually got in AOTC... and that movie? Ugh.
Ewoks always have been a no go for me too. Your ranking is normal for most star wars fans. So I get the offness about Jedi(becauseof the Ewoks), but for me it just uplifted my favorite characters to new heights I guess. Also yeah I remember hearing that too about the wookies in Jedi.
The issue with the prequels isn't the story, it's the dialogue. It made the actors very stiff, wooden. It lacked a Han Solo type character as well to add a brass like humor to it all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ewoks always have been a no go for me too. Your ranking is normal for most star wars fans. So I get the offness about Jedi(becauseof the Ewoks), but for me it just uplifted my favorite characters to new heights I guess. Also yeah I remember hearing that too about the wookies in Jedi.
The issue with the prequels isn't the story, it's the dialogue. It made the actors very stiff, wooden. It lacked a Han Solo type character as well to add a brass like humor to it all.
Jedi was a crisper version of ANH in my opinion…with the incredible Ian McDiarmid replacing Cushing.

And far as Ewoks…Lucas has never waivered that he wanted a wookie incase he couldn’t make more so chewie was born…and therefore couldn’t use them in Jedi

E-wook
wook-E

Jedi obviously would have been better

Willmark

I agree. A lot of people did and do disparage "all the talk of trade deals" in PM like it's the entire movie. Its basically over and into smashing droids within 5-10 minutes in! It's basically a McGuffin to get things rolling.

AOTC? Ugh, dialogue is horrible at spots, thanks George!

ROTS? Outside of the "NOOOOOO!!!!" it's solid. In fact its darker than ESB and that's even with the viewer knowing what is coming next.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree. A lot of people did and do disparage "all the talk of trade deals" in PM like it's the entire movie. Its basically over and into smashing droids within 5-10 minutes in! It's basically a McGuffin to get thinsg rolling.

ROTS? Outside of the "NOOOOOO!!!!" it's solid. In fact its darker than ESB and that's even with the viewer knowing what is coming next.

Lucas is a bad screenwriter and director…there are about fifteen docs that lay that out…

Expect Indy…he did a fantastic job of getting that quirky period piece stuff right

Joesixtoe

Jedi was a crisper version of ANH in my opinion…with the incredible Ian McDiarmid replacing Cushing.

And far as Ewoks…Lucas has never waivered that he wanted a wookie incase he couldn’t make more so chewie was born…and therefore couldn’t use them in Jedi

E-wook
wook-E

Jedi obviously would have been better
That's funny, I never put the ewoke wooke together lol. I do agree Jedi was more crisper. Growing up I usually just re-watched Jedi and only watched the others when I had too. The others are good, just liked Jedi a lot more when I was younger. Now I appreciate all of them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's funny, I never put the ewoke wooke together lol. I do agree Jedi was more crisper. Growing up I usually just re-watched Jedi and only watched the others when I had too. The others are good, just liked Jedi a lot more when I was younger. Now I appreciate all of them.
That’s a direct quote from Lucas…there have been so many documentaries I get them all jumbled. I think that was from the into to the thx vhs (1995) with Leonard Martin…but I might be wrong

Joesixtoe

I agree. A lot of people did and do disparage "all the talk of trade deals" in PM like it's the entire movie. Its basically over and into smashing droids within 5-10 minutes in! It's basically a McGuffin to get things rolling.

I actually don't mind the trade talks. It was the RPG like acting, or turn based dialogue. ROTS was better in that regard, but not up to the O.T standards. Again it lacked a fun, comedic type character. Solo and Chewy just helped break up the seriousness of the story. I agree ROTS was dark and that's what helped the flow of the movie. Ian McDiarmid was amazing in the role of Palpatine, especially while trying to get Anakin over to the dark side.

Willmark

looking at some of my posts above I should have been clearly in terms of Mandolorian. I saw a few episodes including The Rescue.

Now that football season is almost over time to watch the TV stuff.

However-out of the EU books I only ever read one Thrawn book in 1997 maybe?

I dislike TLJ immensely.

That said in this order is how I’m planning tackling it:
Mandolorian/Book of Boba Fett
Andor
Obi-Wan which I have not heard good things about; that sucks as he is one of my favorite characters.

After that we’ll see.

Last edited:

Screamface

That said in this order is how I’m planning tackling it:
Mandolorian/Book of Boba Fett
Andor
Obi-Wan which I have not heard good things about; that sucks as he is one of my favorite characters.

In case you're unaware, you need to watch the Book of Boba Fett between seasons 2 and 3 of The Mandalorian. There are a couple episodes in Boba Fett that bridge s2 and 3 of Mando.

Willmark

Just finished three episodes of Season 2 for today and the last was the Rescue.

Its laughable just how much a single episode of Mando got right while the Last Jedi got almost everything wrong. One actually feels like SW i.e the Rescue, the other i.e the Last Jedi is like bad fan fiction.

Next up is the Book of Boba Fett which along with season 3 of Mando i have heard mixed thing about but will keep an open mind .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom