News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Donald Duck 25

Worth mentioning that Walt Disney Imagineering mentioned Carmen Smith, an imagineer on the Splash Mountain refurb, as well as Charita Carter. This is the first official new reference I've seen to this project in months.

Why make a princess and the frog ride? The princess and the frog's box office flop was the reason Disney abandoned traditional animation for computer animation. Walt Disney was all about the art of animation. And computer animation just isn't very good animation. Why are you rewarding this movie with splash mountain. That movie doesn't even deserve to take over Winnie the pooh.
[/QUOTE]

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
We’ll just have to see how it goes. It’s clear they want to prioritize the California version, but that’s hard when the California parks are closed. So who knows?
But Tron pausing would most likely mean they want to do WDW's version. Now if DL had paused Runway, Avengers, ect..then it would mean both are going possibly

UNCgolf

Why make a princess and the frog ride? The princess and the frog's box office flop was the reason Disney abandoned traditional animation for computer animation. Walt Disney was all about the art of animation. And computer animation just isn't very good animation. Why are you rewarding this movie with splash mountain. That movie doesn't even deserve to take over Winnie the pooh.

It wasn't a flop.

It wasn't an overwhelming success, but it made money and performed better than the previous few traditionally animated films Disney had released.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Worth mentioning that Walt Disney Imagineering mentioned Carmen Smith, an imagineer on the Splash Mountain refurb, as well as Charita Carter. This is the first official new reference I've seen to this project in months.

I don't know if I'd call her an Imagineer. More like a consulate or casting director tasked with making attractions more diverse and inclusive.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Discussion of "why" and whether one's opinion is for or against is in this thread...

This thread is only for discussion of the rethemed ride presuming it's happening. This is a 'how' thread and maybe a little 'if' considering the pandemic. In general, there really shouldn't be any posts at all for now unless its news.

Brer Oswald

[/QUOTE]
You know why. Or at least, you should. Whether it should be a replacement or an addition, you can make a case for. You can also make a case for Disney making better filmed with more diverse representation, as well as better films in general. Which, hopefully, they are starting to.

Brer Oswald

But Tron pausing would most likely mean they want to do WDW's version. Now if DL had paused Runway, Avengers, ect..then it would mean both are going possibly
Tron’s Pausing for a year, no? Spring 2021 opening. I don’t see Splash’s gutting being done by Spring 2021, let alone the entire new attraction. They’d have to start now, with the decision to leave Tokyo’s as is definite.

UNCgolf

Not like it had much competition at all.

I'm just saying that calling it a flop is inaccurate, just like when people say Mary Poppins Returns was a flop. It may not have met expectations -- I have no idea what they were expecting, although as I said, it at least outperformed the last 3 traditionally animated films they'd released -- but a flop is something like John Carter that actually loses money for the company.

Brer Oswald

I'm just saying that calling it a flop is inaccurate, just like when people say Mary Poppins Returns was a flop. It may not have met expectations -- I have no idea what they were expecting, although as I said, it at least outperformed the last 3 traditionally animated films they'd released -- but a flop is something like John Carter that actually loses money for the company.
Anything that doesn’t meet expectations is considered a flop by the company. Yes, even if it makes enough money past breaking even.

UNCgolf

Anything that doesn’t meet expectations is considered a flop by the company. Yes, even if it makes enough money past breaking even.

Even if that's true, we don't know what their expectations were, so we don't know if it met them or not. I doubt they were expecting to launch a Princess and the Frog franchise, and it outperformed their other recent films, so it couldn't have been too big a disappointment. I don't believe they had plans to continue making traditionally animated films regardless of how well it performed.

I also personally don't really care how a company classifies something internally. If it turns a decent profit (i.e. it didn't just barely break even), it's not a flop, except in rare cases of giant blockbuster films that very obviously significantly underperformed.

Brer Oswald

Even if that's true, we don't know what their expectations were, so we don't know if it met them or not. I doubt they were expecting to launch a Princess and the Frog franchise, and it outperformed their other recent films, so it couldn't have been too big a disappointment. I don't believe they had plans to continue making traditionally animated films regardless of how well it performed.

I also personally don't really care how a company classifies something internally. If it turns a decent profit (i.e. it didn't just barely break even), it's not a flop, except in rare cases of giant blockbuster films that very obviously significantly underperformed.
It was no doubt compared to the other Princess Films. Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid. Does it have the same reputation as those? No. Did it live up to those films? Regardless of what you or I think of the film, it didn’t. It’s a Flop. I like it better than Cinderella and LM, but it didn’t reach those levels of acclaim.

What Princess films have? Frozen exceeded expectations. Tangled, I don’t think it met them, but it did better than PatF. Moana also came close.

As sad as it is, if not for the current climate, they probably wouldn’t be pushing for Tiana as hard as they are. It would be the first four I mentioned, Anna & Elsa, Moana, And Mulan (if only because of the new movie).

EPCOT-O.G.

Soooooo, Disney paused construction on the TRON and Guardians of the Galaxy rides, leaving them just stuck unfinished for a while, so they can do the Splash Mountain retheme?
If that’s the case I hope that Disneyland doesn’t open until this time next year. If they are so clueless and out of touch with their priorities they deserve all the monetary pain they’re experiencing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom