Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Patcheslee

That was the goal...however my bet is their analysis is that it will not result in substantial loss. They’re call yours and everyone else’s bluff.

The last 10 years have proven to consumer’s lack of mettle. And I bet they’re right.
As a tourist who's taken the wrong turns to get Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper, there's no way I'd wanna drive off property for much else lol. If we did, it's cheaper to do non-Disney things the beginning or end of trip and stay off property.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
News from the STCU group.

120854665_191680852517561_2251891332463697339_o.png

Brian

News from the STCU group.

View attachment 503529

As usual with the STCU, they could care less about the part-time cast.

It's strange how this worked out - part-time cast cost the company next to nothing to have on the books if furloughed, especially compared to full-time. They get no benefits, and are not receiving any pay.

Also, they brag about their wins, but everything except the full-timers not being laid off is part of the contract. Albeit, that is a nice win, but it's like when Apple announces that the new iPhone is the best iPhone ever; it has to be.

Last edited:

Unbanshee

As usual with the STCU, they could care less about the part-time cast.

It's strange how this worked out - part-time cast cost the company next to nothing to have on the books, if furloughed. They get no benefits, and are not receiving any pay.

Also, they brag about their wins, but everything except the full-timers not being laid off is part of the contract. Albeit, that is a nice win, but it's like when Apple announces that the new iPhone is the best iPhone ever; it has to be.

While there are certainly some valid issues with PT treatment, remember that it was Disney that wanted to target PT as outlined in their initial statement before even talking with unions

Surfin' Tuna

Yet to be seen how this will affect their plan to layoff 28,000. Will they go back to the non-union cast members and try to find another 5,000 to layoff? I'm not sure where they would find them, but it means more sweating for all involved.

As Steve noted this was mostly planned (in theory) before Covid, but it still stings. I also think they are taking it a bit too far in some departments. None of it makes sense.

-em

Yet to be seen how this will affect their plan to layoff 28,000. Will they go back to the non-union cast members and try to find another 5,000 to layoff? I'm not sure where they would find them, but it means more sweating for all involved.

As Steve noted this was mostly planned (in theory) before Covid, but it still stings. I also think they are taking it a bit too far in some departments. None of it makes sense.
I imagine that the ‘missing’ 5k is things under the radar like Disney Stores or one offs that don’t require a WARN notice.. but who knows

FigmentFan82

On a side note, I am hearing that there were plans to do a large scale cutback prior to COVID.
I work at a very large company (everyone has heard of them) and the same was pretty much the story here too. The slimming down of the business was going to happen, but COVID simply accelerated a lot of plans in that regard. And of course it should go without saying that it's truly aweful for all those affected in all businesses across the country

Tha Realest

As I was saying regarding activist investors.

People seemed not to care when Loeb was buying more shares but now they will. Loeb will force a spin-off of the parks if he wants to.

I get that “new” content is bette than back catalogues from a streaming standpoint, but this makes no sense. Netflix is tightening the belt (GLOW, which had been renewed for one more season, has been cancelled, and you get the general sense the salad days of streaming $$$ getting tossed at anything are over). Disney is sitting on its own Vault and all the 20th Century Fox content. That’s...a lot. They’ve had the Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Jr. for decades. Plus, their creations for ABC and Disney Afternoons. They have a ton of content, arguably more than they know what to do with.

natatomic

So all they layoff news besides WDI was mostly front line CMS. No talk of restructuring anywhere.

I personally know 8 managers laid off (edited to add: so far). Two were in a department where all the managers, aside from their boss, were laid off. Maybe we don’t here about those so much because there’s not union spokesperson for middle management? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Either way, there’s definitely restructuring happening.

Lilofan

For me, the luggage service added to magical express sealed me in the Disney bubble. Without the luggage service, ME is just a well themed airport shuttle with a generally long and slow route. We are renting a car on our trip later this month. First time in years we are getting a car. Much less likely to spend all of our time on property with a car.

They are saving on labor but risk losing people to other destinations during their trip with moves like this.
If you rent a car at Orlando International Airport, good luck. Even with a reservation the waits are long to actually get a vehicle.

Brian

I personally know 8 managers laid off (edited to add: so far). Two were in a department where all the managers, aside from their boss, were laid off. Maybe we don’t here about those so much because there’s not union spokesperson for middle management? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Either way, there’s definitely restructuring happening.

Agreed. There's a lot happening in areas where you have no unions or big departments to "make headlines," so they largely go unreported, unless you happen to know them or see their post(s) on social media. It adds up after a while.

Lilofan

Agreed. There's a lot happening in areas where you have no unions or big departments to "make headlines," so they largely go unreported, unless you happen to know them or see their post(s) on social media. It adds up after a while.
Some are savvy. Some laid off or furloughed cast are marketing their side hustle talents for cash on the Ear for Each Other - on Facebook

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As I was saying regarding activist investors.

People seemed not to care when Loeb was buying more shares but now they will. Loeb will force a spin-off of the parks if he wants to.

How many times will you be double posting this?

You need to. Stand. Down.

Your posts have become increasingly laughable as you posit the most ridiculous theories of Disney's imminent demise.

And this is the proof: Nothing in that investor's 'activist' recommendations including anything about selling off assets or merging.

He's suggesting Disney forego dividends to investors in order to double down on Disney+ and OTT streaming. This is exactly the policy of Iger and the BoD right now.

So why would you say that "investors are targeting the company for possible forced breakup" by referring to an investor who is not only *not* saying that, but going all in on Disney?

From this point on, your doom and gloom posts about Disney are absolutely meaningless, because, you obviously put no meaningful effort in them to be accurate. You wanna keep those posts up? I'll keep referring the forumites back to this blunder of yours.

[To others: this poster has been currently saying Disney is on the precipice of bankruptcy despite the evidence of Disney's own financial statements.]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom