The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

That's fine. But even if you spoke up more often, we'd understand because you're a vocal member on other parts of the DLR section.

As for having older beloved family members in peril, I actually lost my Grandma on Mother's Day (non-Covid related) and it's been hard to read past the "don't kill Grandma" rhetoric. But, what can you do?

Outside of SWL, I don't think our section of the boards has ever been so polarized.
I’m very sorry about your loss.

George Lucas on a Bench

It’s really simple. A good movie does not equal a good ride. These movies are about the development of the characters something that does not really translate to a built environment.

The rides are married to singing scenes from the movies that should never have been made into scenes on a ride. I mean, a scene of Belle just standing there singing, sitting at a table, Mermaid floating their singing, Ursula sitting there singing etc. It's all song scenes.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Mermaid has the same problem. They made a ride-through Disney Sing-Along video instead of an adventure. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think the park’s audience would have rather had something a bit more thrilling. There’s something very self-conscious and obnoxious about the use of trackless vehicles on B&tB. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re so large and numerous that they make every scene look like Luigi’s Flying Tires.

Agreed. Why are they more focused with sing along ride as opposed to transporting us somewhere?

Some places in Beasts castle I would have liked to explore ....

The foyer, the hallways leading to Belles Bedroom etc, the West Wing, the library, outside the front gates w/ wolves and a climax where we are looking outside at a Beast/ Gaston fight at the very top of the castle.

Rich T

It’s really simple. A good movie does not equal a good ride. These movies are about the development of the characters something that does not really translate to a built environment.
Oh cmon. There is plenty there with the Beasts castle for a great ride. Don’t give them a pass. If this was Cinderella you might have a point.
The key—which Walt & crew were so good at—is to just focus on which elements of the story lend themselves to a good ride. Heck, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is entirely based on an event in the film that happens off-screen!

You could even make a thrilling ride out of Cinderella: Shrink the riders (like on Ratatouille) and just focus on the mice trying to get the key to Cinderella while being chased by Lucifer the cat! (Edit: Credit to mickEblu for this idea.)

I’ve said this before, but my version of a BatB dark ride would have you stumble into the darkened castle, hear Maurice’s cries from his cell, ignore Cogsworth’s and Lumiere’s warnings, see the rose, then frantically try to escape the castle as a raging Beast lunges out at you at every turn!

And a final quick scene has you racing past Belle on her horse outside the gate, asking, “Excuse me—Did my father pass this way?”

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
The key—which Walt & crew were so good at—is to just focus on which elements of the story lend themselves to a good ride. Heck, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is entirely based on an event in the film that happens off-screen!

You could even make a thrilling ride out of Cinderella: Shrink the riders (like on Ratatouille) and just focus on the mice trying to get the key to Cinderella while being chased by Lucifer the cat! 😃

I’ve said this before, but my version of a BatB dark ride would have you stumble into the darkened castle, hear Maurice’s cries from his cell, ignore Cogsworth’s and Lumiere’s warnings, see the rose, then frantically try to escape the castle as a raging Beast lunges out at you at every turn!

And a final quick scene has you racing past Belle on her horse outside the gate, asking, “Excuse me—Did my father pass this way?”

I like your version of BATB much more!

Hey! I want credit for that Cinderella idea.

mickEblu

Original Poster
CINDERELLA- It would be great for this wonderful classic ( might be my favorite of them all) to get some representation at DL. A Cinderellas carriage dark ride sounds pretty cool on the surface but I remember Tony Baxter saying the reason we probably don't have a ride in the first place is because the majority of the movie takes place at the manor/ barn. Which I guess isn't very exciting. But an attraction that takes us to the size of Jaq n Gus escaping Lucifer etc... could probably remedy that.

@Rich T. 😉

PiratesMansion

I haven't watched the povs yet, but the chatter around the ride definitely is disappointing. Hopefully the incoming TDS attractions won't just be more of the same, but it wouldn't shock me if they were. Oh well-the parks will still have lots of other things to offer even if all of these new attractions miss the mark.

As for last ride that's "good" or "worthy" enough of being a classic, which I hesitate to apply towards newer rides in general-I'd say that Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates, and RSR are all rides that are fantastic in their own right that I have no doubt will come to be regarded as classics.

For rides that are edging closer to actual classic vintage (for me, attractions that are around 25+ years old), I'd give credence to Hunny Hunt (which is still easily the best use of the trackless ride system), Journey, and Sindbad. And Indy and Kilimanjaro, of course.

Otherwise? Slim pickings (but I'll wait until I ride BATB and the GE attractions in person before I definitively determine they don't belong in the conversation).

Rich T

So since Beauty and the Beast is another "flop" When was the last ride in your opinion that was good and worthy of a "classic"
In the U.S.: RotR (pending retheme to original trilogy), Flight of Passage and RS Racers.
Overseas: Mystic Manor, Shanghai Pirates, Roaring Rapids.

DrAlice

I agree with whoever said this looks like it would make you sick (@Phroobar?). I had to close my eyes a few times watching the video.

I think this ride is a case of "overcorrecting". One of the complaints you see sometimes about traditional dark rides is that you move past scenes too quickly to take them in. Here, they've done the opposite, but to a fault. Each scene is too long. Beautiful, yes, but long.

I also agree with others that an omnimover system would work better. Or, perhaps use the trackless vehicle like a omnimover and then throw in the dancing movement when it makes sense. Not ALL. THE. TIME.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that modern Imagineers are engineers first, while classic imagineers were animators first. Geeking out over a new tool will give you a different ride experience than developing a tool to tell your story. This ride feels like they let the trackless ride vehicle lead the development process. And if the story isn't leading the process, you'll fall back on the songs.

But, what do I know? Perhaps the Japanese audience will love this?

lazyboy97o

Today there is this whole ridiculous notion of movies “deserving” a ride. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is based on a dud and the complete flop Alice in Wonderland has two attractions. Even Peter Pan was not quite the success that was hoped. Not every movie necessarily translates well to a ride. Even the Beast’s Castle is a mystery that is mysterious because it is so lifeless and large parts unseen. If anything it would probably be better suited as a walkthrough like Les Mystères du Nautilus than a ride through the same empty corridors.

I also agree with others that an omnimover system would work better. Or, perhaps use the trackless vehicle like a omnimover and then throw in the dancing movement when it makes sense. Not ALL. THE. TIME.
Thats sort of how Pooh’s Hunny Hunt works. The whole premise of exploding the traditional Fantasyland dark ride was taken literally. The vehicles start off in a chain on a limited path and their free movement builds until they go crazy in the Heffalumps and Woozles scene.

first, while classic imagineers were animators first. Geeking out over a new tool will give you a different ride experience than developing a tool to tell your story. This ride feels like they let the trackless ride vehicle lead the development process. And if the story isn't leading the process, you'll fall back on the songs.
Not really. Most of the creative leads have some sort of creative or artistic background. Jim Clark, who has been in a lot of the promotional material, has an education in writing but has been a producer for most of his career. Christ Merritt has an education in character animation and has worked as a designer and art director.

DrAlice

TNot really. Most of the creative leads have some sort of creative or artistic background. Jim Clark, who has been in a lot of the promotional material, has an education in writing but has been a producer for most of his career. Christ Merritt has an education in character animation and has worked as a designer and art director.
Well, then, I've got nothing. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom