Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think I read someplace that NYC buildings in general have an over abundance of heat. That you can practically leave the windows open all winter and still be hot. A feature that should come in handy this winter.

True. We leave our windows open throughout the winter. We're friends with some of our neighbors and have (had) get-togethers and such. Some of them have the heaters going with the windows closed and it's napalm.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"During this unusual time, race organizers around the world continue to pause on hosting in-person race events that draw large crowds. As we look at the 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and 2021 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, we will convert both of these races to virtual events, similar to our offering for the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.

While we share our Guests’ disappointment that we will not be running together in person, we have based this decision on the unique circumstances of hosting a road race experience on this scale under the current environment."

rowrbazzle

It says it can travel further. Which I never really doubted personally. But it doesn’t say how often this occurs. I imagine that is harder to say. I’m not sure how this updated guidance changes anything for the average person.
I don't think it does. Studies about how a virus is transmitted focus on the detectability of molecules at a certain distance or for a certain length of time. They don't address whether the amount of virus detectable at 10 feet away or 72 hours after someone touches something is sufficient to cause an infection. From what I've read, viral load is important - recent reports on face masks say they may protect the wearer by preventing them from getting enough of the virus to make them sick even when they are in close contact with an infected person.
I thought this was an informative article. It seems there is still debate on the degree to which the presence of the virus in aerosols translates to infection from said aerosols. Evidently, it's not so clear-cut.
But many epidemiologists disagree that the mere presence of the virus in aerosols means it’s a major route of transmission. Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease physician and senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, suggests that if aerosol spread were a major factor, the pandemic would be playing out differently. “There’s not a question about whether ... there may be some aerosolization or whether you can isolate the virus from the air,” Adalja tells Yahoo Life. “But the question then becomes, does that finding of the virus in the air translate to an infection risk and are people getting infected in that manner?”

DisneyCane

I thought this was an informative article. It seems there is still debate on the degree to which the presence of the virus in aerosols translates to infection from said aerosols. Evidently, it's not so clear-cut.
I agree with that expert 100% just from a common sense standpoint. I've been saying for a while that if this virus spread as easily as some people think it does, half the population would have had it by now.

I'd be interested to know (I haven't seen any study) what the positive percentage is from people who were contact traced from a known case.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree with that expert 100% just from a common sense standpoint. I've been saying for a while that if this virus spread as easily as some people think it does, half the population would have had it by now.

I'd be interested to know (I haven't seen any study) what the positive percentage is from people who were contact traced from a known case.
I haven't found much information on that. I remember a study very early on that showed a spouse had a 27% chance of being infected, and it went down to 19% for other family members. As it said in the article, the infection rate for aerosol transmission of the measles virus under those circumstances was 100%. I thought the study found that when the person with COVID was isolated as soon as symptoms appeared, no one else in the household became infected.

I detest those headlines that state how far virus molecules can travel or how long they can remain on plastic under laboratory conditions. What we need to know is how people are actually getting infected so we can assess the value and necessity of the safety precautions we're putting in place. At least I haven't read anything recently about people wiping down their food containers with Lysol so some information is making it's way through.

ImperfectPixie

I detest those headlines that state how far virus molecules can travel or how long they can remain on plastic under laboratory conditions. What we need to know is how people are actually getting infected so we can assess the value and necessity of the safety precautions we're putting in place. At least I haven't read anything recently about people wiping down their food containers with Lysol so some information is making it's way through.
I couldn't agree more. Joe Public doesn't need to know lab results...they need to know what happens in the real world.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"OTTAWA (Reuters) - COVID-19 infections have surged in Canada and if people do not take stringent precautions, they could balloon to exceed levels seen during the first wave of the pandemic, health officials warned on Monday.

“Canada is at a crossroads and individual action to reduce contact rates will decide our path,” the Public Health Agency said in a statement.

According to a worst-case scenario outlined by the agency, cases could rise more than 1,000 per day to 155,795 by Oct. 2, with the death toll hitting 9,300. On Monday, Canada had reported 145,415 total cases and 9,228 deaths.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will appear in a rare evening national broadcast at 6:30 p.m. (2230 GMT) on Wednesday to talk about “the urgency of fighting COVID-19 as we face down the prospect of a second wave of the virus,” the prime minister’s office said."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Six feet isn't magic. And outdoors isn't magic. And ordinary face masks aren't magic. They're layers of mitigating risk.

While COVID isn't nearly as infectious as measles, there are super-spreader incidents of people getting the virus without touching or being breathed on by the carrier. It spread through the air.

Why it's sometimes a superspread incident and sometimes not, they're still trying to figure out. But the cases where it did spread to nearby people who weren't interacting with the carrier should be enough to inform ourselves to keep all those layers of mitigation in place. It will at least also help mitigate a flu and cold season.

JoeCamel

Six feet isn't magic. And outdoors isn't magic. And ordinary face masks aren't magic. They're layers of mitigating risk.

While COVID isn't nearly as infectious as measles, there are super-spreader incidents of people getting the virus without touching or being breathed on by the carrier. It spread through the air.

Why it's sometimes a superspread incident and sometimes not, they're still trying to figure out. But the cases where it did spread to nearby people who weren't interacting with the carrier should be enough to inform ourselves to keep all those layers of mitigation in place. It will at least also help mitigate a flu and cold season.
This will do it!
bub.jpg

sullyinMT

Six feet isn't magic. And outdoors isn't magic. And ordinary face masks aren't magic. They're layers of mitigating risk. [...]
It will at least also help mitigate a flu and cold season.
The pharmacist doling out our flu shots the other day was saying the same thing. Hopefully they hit the right strains in that vaccine, too, so that we have a better chance this winter of continuing to ride this out until a COVID vaccine is successful.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I haven't found much information on that. I remember a study very early on that showed a spouse had a 27% chance of being infected, and it went down to 19% for other family members. As it said in the article, the infection rate for aerosol transmission of the measles virus under those circumstances was 100%. I thought the study found that when the person with COVID was isolated as soon as symptoms appeared, no one else in the household became infected.

With 31 million confirmed infections in the world, and tons of scientists looking at the problem you would think we would have a better handle on what the most common methods of transmission are by now.

As for wiping down food containers, just because you haven't heard about it, doesn't mean people aren't still doing it.

JoeCamel

With 31 million confirmed infections in the world, and tons of scientists looking at the problem you would think we would have a better handle on what the most common methods of transmission are by now.

As for wiping down food containers, just because you haven't heard about it, doesn't mean people aren't still doing it.
Thankful they wised up on TP, it was touch and go there for a bit.

oceanbreeze77

The pharmacist doling out our flu shots the other day was saying the same thing. Hopefully they hit the right strains in that vaccine, too, so that we have a better chance this winter of continuing to ride this out until a COVID vaccine is successful.
I usually get mine in Oct. With how many people there are afraid to enter a medical building, I wonder if they will come up with other ways for the flu shot to be distributed. Maybe drive thru. The infrastructure is already there with the covid testing sites.

Flugell

Just need to say my 27 year old son has been tested positive today. He has not been to pubs, not seen his friends, worn a mask whenever recommended and when not, has socially distanced but has been to work. My husband is a diabetic 71 year old and I am a large lady aged 63. We have only been out twice since March and a few trips to our local park well socially distanced. He is our bubble and is now terrified that he has given it to us. We have arranged a test for tomorrow morning just 1 mile from our house here in the U.K. It would seem that however careful you are the virus will indeed virus. I am scared for my husband and son..........but hopefully all will be fine, but am not looking forward to the next 2 weeks whilst waiting for symptoms to get worse.

JoeCamel

I usually get mine in Oct. With how many people there are afraid to enter a medical building, I wonder if they will come up with other ways for the flu shot to be distributed. Maybe drive thru. The infrastructure is already there with the covid testing sites.
Publix, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart all offer the shot here. Publix will give me $10 store credit if I let my insurance pay them for a shot. Good deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom