The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

smooch

From the OC History FB page

>>Sept 5th 2003. Tragedy at the Disneyland Big Thunder Mountain ride. 22-year-old man died after suffering severe blunt force trauma and extensive internal bleeding in a derailment of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster that also injured ten other riders. The cause of the accident was determined to be improper maintenance. <<

This story is still so shocking to hear about and is so sad. I'm still surprised that of the very few trips my girlfriend's family took to Disneyland when she was young they went the day of 9/11 and were in Frontierland when this happened. Just unfortunate timing. Since she was so young she doesn't have much memory of it but her parents have described it and it seems so surreal, they didn't know exactly what happened at the time but it was obvious it was something serious. Despite that, there were personnel rushed there and the ride was closed but for the most part the day went on as normal. Crazy that something like that can happen and most of the guests would be unaware.

Phroobar

This story is still so shocking to hear about and is so sad. I'm still surprised that of the very few trips my girlfriend's family took to Disneyland when she was young they went the day of 9/11 and were in Frontierland when this happened. Just unfortunate timing. Since she was so young she doesn't have much memory of it but her parents have described it and it seems so surreal, they didn't know exactly what happened at the time but it was obvious it was something serious. Despite that, there were personnel rushed there and the ride was closed but for the most part the day went on as normal. Crazy that something like that can happen and most of the guests would be unaware.
Disneyland was closed the next day for fear of an attack. We went the day after and the place was totally empty. We had the park almost completely to ourselves. DTD was empty. Even Harbor and Katella were empty just like now.

smooch

Disneyland was closed the next day for fear of an attack. We went the day after and the place was totally empty. We had the park almost completely to ourselves. DTD was empty. Even Harbor and Katella were empty just like now.

Yeah I remember talking with her parents and they said they arrived the day of 9/11 and were driving all day and were unaware of what happened until they arrived at the hotel. That must have been an interesting experience. It's tragic what happened but the park being so empty must have been surreal. I know the atmosphere was probably strange being there and knowing what happened but having such an empty park is something I'd love to experience once.

Rich T

Do Walt vs. Bob Jr. or Walt vs. Roy
In the 2nd pic, Walt’s hissing, “You just... don’t... get it.”
91B3CE63-4010-4073-A45A-F3333C2DAE82.jpeg
BE47E9C6-0D2B-4D52-816F-8E77F3B2B5A8.jpeg
C13D5100-A71E-4B86-8BD9-C6FB8FA0D952.jpeg
D702F19E-CCE5-44E2-A3B4-C7F48CD52948.jpeg

BayouShack

Who remembers, several years before Star Wars was conceived, when a Oz Land was rumored for Big Thunder Ranxh? Wizarding World sure sparked some interesting ideas. Perhaps Disney thought “wizard” was the essential ingredient for the success of IP land!

lazyboy97o

Who remembers, several years before Star Wars was conceived, when a Oz Land was rumored for Big Thunder Ranxh? Wizarding World sure sparked some interesting ideas. Perhaps Disney thought “wizard” was the essential ingredient for the success of IP land!
Baxter’s last project but Oz the Great and Powerful didn’t deliver at the box office.

BayouShack

Baxter’s last project but Oz the Great and Powerful didn’t deliver at the box office.
It’s a shame, because I’m sure the land wouldn’t demand the entire railroad be contorted. It was only supposed to take over the Ranch and a little backstage.

I imagine it would have been a small land, with maybe one attraction. The E Ticket could have even been like Baxter’s Island on Top of the World suspended dark ride that was supposed to have been the centerpiece of Discovery Bay... another land canned because a movie flopped.

I thought the idea was crazy at the time, but looking back, I certainly prefer that vision over Star Wars Land. From the rumors, it didn’t sound nearly as invasive as Galaxy’s Edge. It would have been a clever transition from Frontierland to Kansas to Oz to Fantasyland.

——

Some fun numbers!

There are... 20 Toy Story rides around the globe. If my math is to be trusted. And they’re used to be more before the Hong Kong Buzz succumbed to an ant infestation.

The only IP that comes close to that is Alice (counting the two labyrinths), Dumbo, and Star Wars—each with 8 rides worldwide—not counting any temporary layovers. Dumbo gets extra credit, since all rides are based on the same movie.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

I love The Whiffenpoofs. Their West Wing performance of O Holy Night is my absolute favorite.

I've had a chance to watch that vid now, and that is awesome. I didn't watch West Wing, but that clip is making me want to.

I kind of went down a Whiffenpoof rabbit hole last night. The Rainbow Connection video I posted isn't my favorite rendition of theirs, butI found the severed head of Mickey Mouse waving around in the background to be irresistible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom