US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Tony Perkis

Oh I agree but still a horrible debut. I know it has done over $150 million worldwide.
Oh definitely.

I made a joke with some friends yesterday that Christopher Nolan is an evil genius, because only he would release a film that requires 2-3 viewings to understand in theatres during a pandemic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tenet made an estimated $20.2 million over the weekend. Not including Labor Day Monday estimates.
That number is not just for this weekend, its for its entire 13 day domestic run which included prerelease screenings. Rumor has it that it only made $2.6M this weekend. That is just bad. That is a slap in the face back to reality bad number.

Only positive note is it made approx $146M international.

Archie123

At least it made $150 million so far. What do you think of Love and Thunder and MI7 resuming production?

It’s good to see things starting up again but I expect things to also possibly shut down again sporadically like it did on Batman when Robert Pattinson when he contracted CV.

Archie123

Wonder Woman 1984 was pushed back to Christmas due to poor box office results of Tenet and the whole pandemic situation. I would guess that Black Widow is going to move from its scheduled November 6th release date.

Darkprime

Wonder Woman 1984 was pushed back to Christmas due to poor box office results of Tenet and the whole pandemic situation. I would guess that Black Widow is going to move from its scheduled November 6th release date.

I wonder how many more times they have to delay it before they consider Disney+? I think if it gets moved to say Feb 2021 and still cant release they will then consider Disney+.

erasure fan1

I would guess that Black Widow is going to move from its scheduled November 6th release date.
If you mean it will be later, I'm not sure. I feel like they aren't going to want to push it back too much more. The release schedule is already messed up pretty badly. If I had to pick a Marvel movie to get the short end of things, to get the other films back on sched. Id choose Widow. At this point let it ride, and bring it to D+ early if it doesn't do great. That's just after the 1yr founders coming up on their subscription. So it would be a good selling point.

Archie123

If you mean it will be later, I'm not sure. I feel like they aren't going to want to push it back too much more. The release schedule is already messed up pretty badly. If I had to pick a Marvel movie to get the short end of things, to get the other films back on sched. Id choose Widow. At this point let it ride, and bring it to D+ early if it doesn't do great. That's just after the 1yr founders coming up on their subscription. So it would be a good selling point.

Wonder Woman was just pushed back later. I expect other films will as well.

Archie123

I wonder how many more times they have to delay it before they consider Disney+? I think if it gets moved to say Feb 2021 and still cant release they will then consider Disney+.

I don't think you will ever see Black Widow premier on D+. Way to much money will be left on the table.

erasure fan1

Wonder Woman was just pushed back later. I expect other films will as well.
Marvel is a different beast than DC. Marvel has a lot more movies that tie together. Delaying hurts not just Marvel, but pixar, star wars Disney animation...
I don't think you will ever see Black Widow premier on D+. Way to much money will be left on the table.
I don't think it will premier either. Just let it have the spot that it's in now. Then let it go to D+ early if results aren't great at the theaters. I would guess, based on our current situation, the theater outlook isn't going to get any better. We could easily see another year until things start to normalize. If everyone keeps delaying their movies, and they all start releasing at once, people tend to skip. And black widow, as far as I can tell, isn't the most demanded marvel film. Especially with the casual mcu fan and they make up the majority of the box office. So I think they should just roll with it, hope it does well, and focus on eternals.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The same thing was said about Mulan, until it happened. It was said we'd never see a Disney tent pole film move to D+, until it happened. It was said D+ would never have a PVOD option, until it happened. Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen. 2020 is a unusual year for unusual things to happen.

So don't count out BW going to D+ Premier or any other PVOD service, it very well might happen. Also of note, they can't just keep shifting MCU movies back. We've already gone a whole year without an MCU film, they can't go much more otherwise they'll have 2 full years without a new MCU film. Something I'm pretty sure Feige doesn't want. So my prediction is if BW moves one last time to the Feb 2021 date, that will be it. If it can't make that date then its going to D+ Premier and maybe even other PVOD services.

Archie123

The same thing was said about Mulan, until it happened. It was said we'd never see a Disney tent pole film move to D+, until it happened. It was said D+ would never have a PVOD option, until it happened. Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't happen. 2020 is a unusual year for unusual things to happen.

So don't count out BW going to D+ Premier or any other PVOD service, it very well might happen. Also of note, they can't just keep shifting MCU movies back. We've already gone a whole year without an MCU film, they can't go much more otherwise they'll have 2 full years without a new MCU film. Something I'm pretty sure Feige doesn't want. So my prediction is if BW moves one last time to the Feb 2021 date, that will be it. If it can't make that date then its going to D+ Premier and maybe even other PVOD services.

I will say never. Mulan and BW are two totally different products.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I will say never. Mulan and BW are two totally different products.
They may be two different products but both are tent pole films, one of which already moved to D+ PVOD. As mentioned there is a risk of having two full years without an MCU film released, something Feige doesn’t want. Because at this point February (Eternals release date) is not even guaranteed. So having BW move again to February and shifting the entire MCU slate only to have to do it again is just something I can’t see being at the top of Disney’s list of options right now. So yeah I see BW going to D+ PVOD if it can’t make its November release date. I could even see a partial release and D+ PVOD release similar to Mulan where you release to some open theaters and then D+ for everyone else.

Last edited:

Archie123

They may be two different products but both are tent pole films, one of which already moved to D+ PVOD. As mentioned there is a risk of having two full years without an MCU film released, something Feige doesn’t want. Because at this point February (Eternals release date) is not even guaranteed. So having BW move again to February and shifting the entire MCU slate only to have to do it again is just something I can’t see being at the top of Disney’s list of options right now. So yeah I see BW going to D+ PVOD if it can’t make its November release date. I could even see a partial release and D+ PVOD release similar to Mulan where you release to some open theaters and then D+ for everyone else.

Since you and I have no clue what will happen I guess time will tell if Disney waits for it to be released in the studio or puts it on D+.

CJR

Since you and I have no clue what will happen I guess time will tell if Disney waits for it to be released in the studio or puts it on D+.

They could always do both. Release it in theaters first and then as soon as allowed, D+. If they work a Universal-like deal with AMC, I believe it's only 3 weeks, which would allow Disney box office gross, plus BW in Disney+ by Christmas. Could prove to be a genius move, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom