US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

brodie999

Original Poster
I heard the free vaccines could be ready by the end of next month. They've already finished Phase 3 trials. If they go smoothly, the world could be rid of the Coronavirus sooner than we thought.

Wendy Pleakley

But It's true. A friend of mine told me they started Phase 3 trials for the free vaccines in Australia and her estimates are they'll be available late next month. She watches the news all the time. Even the positive stuff.

The news on the vaccine being tested in Australia is promising, but be cautious. It hasn't been fully tested yet. It will take time to manufacture. It will still be some time before enough people are vaccinated to have herd immunity.

This thread is about US cinemas, with a larger population and probably more opposition to vaccines. It's still likely to be some time before things are normal.

Wendy Pleakley

The article below shows how Tenet is doing in terms of pre-sales. This is the first "must see" movie to release during COVID and phased re-openings so it will be something to watch in terms of how the industry will or will not bounce back.

It may be in decent position to do well with almost no competition. My local theater is at reduced capacity, but is also showing Tenet on way more screens than they normally would, so box office could be closer to "normal". Having said that, a glance shows it's not even close to selling out tonight or tomorrow.

doctornick

The article below shows how Tenet is doing in terms of pre-sales. This is the first "must see" movie to release during COVID and phased re-openings so it will be something to watch in terms of how the industry will or will not bounce back.

It may be in decent position to do well with almost no competition. My local theater is at reduced capacity, but is also showing Tenet on way more screens than they normally would, so box office could be closer to "normal". Having said that, a glance shows it's not even close to selling out tonight or tomorrow.

I think this is why it is brilliant for Disney to be releasing New Mutants at this time - the movie is going to be crappy but probably will do better at the box office just from the lack of competition and people perhaps eager to go and see movies. I'm actually curious to see what happens to it.

Tony Perkis

I think this is why it is brilliant for Disney to be releasing New Mutants at this time - the movie is going to be crappy but probably will do better at the box office just from the lack of competition and people perhaps eager to go and see movies. I'm actually curious to see what happens to it.
I think New Mutants is going to be steamrolled by Bill and Ted Face the Music and Tenet.

Wendy Pleakley

I think New Mutants is going to be steamrolled by Bill and Ted Face the Music and Tenet.

I think Mutants has been viewed as a troubled production and likely wasn't going to make a splash at the box office no matter what. I also think there's a risk/reward factor and people will be less willing to risk seeing a so-so movie versus a Christopher Nolan film, as he has a stellar reputation for making entertaining movies.

Not that we can say for sure, because we can't compare how it does to how it would have done in the absence of COVID.

For comparison, a few new recent movies like Unhinged and Sponge Bob haven't exactly been raking in cash. People are eager, but not that eager.

So I think Tony is right, but it will be interesting to see. Tenet will probably perform like the old days, where movies didn't make all their money in just one or two weekends, and will draw crowds for a longer period.

I wonder why Disney released Mutants theatrically but not Mulan?

Tony Perkis

Because Mulan may actually make money, and since Disney clearly doesn’t want to cross exhibitors, they aren’t doing VOD and theatre same day.

So, they give Mulan the “premium access” treatment, and the (probably already written off) New Mutants is the sacrificial lamb to please theatres, or at least as much as they can.

Last edited:

Ripken10

I think Mutants has been viewed as a troubled production and likely wasn't going to make a splash at the box office no matter what. I also think there's a risk/reward factor and people will be less willing to risk seeing a so-so movie versus a Christopher Nolan film, as he has a stellar reputation for making entertaining movies.

Not that we can say for sure, because we can't compare how it does to how it would have done in the absence of COVID.

For comparison, a few new recent movies like Unhinged and Sponge Bob haven't exactly been raking in cash. People are eager, but not that eager.

So I think Tony is right, but it will be interesting to see. Tenet will probably perform like the old days, where movies didn't make all their money in just one or two weekends, and will draw crowds for a longer period.

Saying Unhinged didn't "rake in cash" is a bit hard to justify. There was only 1700 theaters showing it, and those theaters had varying degrees of availability in theaters due to restrictions. The percentage of screens showing it wasn't even high enough to move the needle that much even without the competition. For all intents and purposes, it's 4 million opening given those circumstances is considered a success by most in the know.

This leads to the exact reason why Disney decided to release Mulan on VOD (while it won't make the money it could have pre-covid in theaters, it will still likely would make more in VOD than in theaters). New Mutants isn't going to be a risk like Mulan would be.

IMO, Tenet's decision compared to Mulan is more due to it's reliance on the theater experience to earn it's top profit. Mulan will likely do well in international, as will Tenet, but domestically Tenet needs the box office more than Mulan needed it.

Wendy Pleakley

"After years of delay, The New Mutants is being released in North American theaters. Now, box office trackers are reporting that the horror-tinged X-Men film has earned $750,000 in Thursday night previews, and is tracking to a $7 to $10 million weekend.

The New Mutants opened in 2,412 locations across North America. The preview night gross matches similar movies that have gone on to track between $7 to $10 million, which is decent considering both the long road The New Mutants took to finally reach theaters and the global pandemic affecting theater going."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bill and Ted Face the Music was a most excellent adventure. Exactly was 2020 needs.
I thought it was ok, but not overall excellent. It was better than the 2nd, but the only truly excellent one was the 1st. The only excellent part of this film was the ending when it all come together.

Tony Perkis

I thought it was ok, but not overall excellent. It was better than the 2nd, but the only truly excellent one was the 1st. The only excellent part of this film was the ending when it all come together.
I actually think 2 is one of the most creative comedy sequels of all time. That plot is bonkers.

Anthony Carrigan, Hank from Barry, steals the movie.

Archie123

I actually think 2 is one of the most creative comedy sequels of all time. That plot is bonkers.

Anthony Carrigan, Hank from Barry, steals the movie.

Dennis Caleb McCoy needs his own spin off. Overall great movie that felt like the original two movies which is a huge accomplishment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom